R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #226
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

How is Danny running his electronics? What servo, receiver, esc and receiver lipo is he running? How and where was the weight added?

I gotta get me 1 of these SMC 1 cell LiPos.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #227
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All you do to run a receiver pack is wire it to the receiver (with a switch to turn it on and off). Use the switch on the receiver pack and it will power up the speedo.

Don't turn on the speedo switch only the receiver pack switch. I tape over mine so that the turn marshalls can't turn it on.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #228
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
All you do to run a receiver pack is wire it to the receiver (with a switch to turn it on and off). Use the switch on the receiver pack and it will power up the speedo.

Don't turn on the speedo switch only the receiver pack switch. I tape over mine so that the turn marshalls can't turn it on.
Ahhh, that's interesting. Will the 7.4v cause any trouble, or is it cool like that?

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #229
Tech Addict

You need to check your electronics to find out if they're ok with the higher voltage. I've run with the KO 949 servo and a Futaba 9602 without any problems. The Spektrum receiver that I used to run worked fine on the higher voltage also. There's no voltage cutoff (that I know of) for receiver packs so you run the risk of completely discharging a LiPo receiver pack.

Or just run a nice reliable 5 cell NiMh pack and go. Nothing to worry about except keeping it charged.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #230
Tech Adept

Default Testing Update

Hello
Just wanted to post an update on how the testing with the SMC 1C Lipo has been going.

At first I struggled with a lil more fall off towards the end of a run than I would have liked but have really figured some stuff out and have gotten the fall off down to what we see in 17.5/4-cell. So far what has worked the best for me is this setup, which equates to stock (17.5/4-cell) speeds.

Tekin RS with two capacitors
13.5 Motor Geared 45/76 with 1.72" tires
Hotwire setup timing at 100%, Sensored only mode
Currently running a Much More 200mah 7.4v lipo receiver pack
Also running the "red" wire from the speedo into the reciever

Speeds are really equel to stock. Punch, straightaway, everything. Driveability is great. Laptimes are identical to the car that just won 17.5/4 Cell at Vegas. Both cars hotlapped tonite at 10.1

If anyone has any quetsions feel free to ask I'll try to help as much as I can.

-Donny Lia

Edited: Forgot to add that I am running the car at 815g race ready. I believe the weight rule will have to be lowered a lil with li-po as there is just not enough space to add weight in these cars and its really unnecessary.
Attached Thumbnails
SMC 5700mAh 25C Single Cell Lipo-img00080.jpg   SMC 5700mAh 25C Single Cell Lipo-img00082.jpg   SMC 5700mAh 25C Single Cell Lipo-_device-memory_home_user_pictures_img00083.jpg  
360rcspeedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #231
Regional Moderator

With all of the lead I see in front of the battery, were the two cars the same weight (was the LiPo car at legal weight)?
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #232
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
With all of the lead I see in front of the battery, were the two cars the same weight (was the LiPo car at legal weight)?
Yes, have a bunch in front of the battery and across the back of the battery as well. The cars weighs 815g. I had it at 860 but it was rediculous, just no place really to put it. I think we will see better tire wear with a lower weight rule as well, just will be better for the class. Plus, the production packs will be 1 less cell so weight is def. going to be an issue.

From all the testing I've done, if I had to say the power was different I would say it just feels a tick softer off the corner. I mean very lil, so much so that it wasn't worth mentioning in my first post. Lowering the weight rule would prob just help even up the 17.5/4 cell and 13.5/Lipo, even though the two cars run pretty much the same lap times.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #233
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360rcspeedway View Post
Yes, have a bunch in front of the battery and across the back of the battery as well. The cars weighs 815g. I had it at 860 but it was rediculous, just no place really to put it. I think we will see better tire wear with a lower weight rule as well, just will be better for the class. Plus, the production packs will be 1 less cell so weight is def. going to be an issue.

From all the testing I've done, if I had to say the power was different I would say it just feels a tick softer off the corner. I mean very lil, so much so that it wasn't worth mentioning in my first post. Lowering the weight rule would prob just help even up the 17.5/4 cell and 13.5/Lipo, even though the two cars run pretty much the same lap times.
Besides tire wear and speed, how is the car in the corners with no weight added? Also what body were you running?
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by RCSteve93; 09-30-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: typo
RCSteve93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 PM   #234
Tech Elite

Quote:
Tekin RS with two capacitors
Hotwire setup timing at 100%, Sensored only mode
Thank you for all of this incredible data!

Just one comment -- when in sensored only mode the Hotwire ESC timing is meaningless. You're running strictly off of motor timing.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #235
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Thank you for all of this incredible data!

Just one comment -- when in sensored only mode the Hotwire ESC timing is meaningless. You're running strictly off of motor timing.
Your right! my bad. In that case I should mention I am running the new Trinity based 360 RC Motorsports 13.5 with the timing in the middle of the three settings, I think it is 10 degrees advanced.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #236
Tech Fanatic

Keep up the good work, maybe Santa will put one of those in my car for christmas.

If weight is going to be an issue, make the bumps on the case if any like the reedy LiPOs. Just little numbs on the end. This would allow racers like me to super glue some brass plate into the vacant battery slots.

Ontop of that, maybe going back to 14, 13 or even 13ga wires will bring back the off the corner punch and the weight up too. Your CG shouldn't be affected to much since you stacked all your lead on the chassis plate.

I'll use some math as an example.

16ga vs. 12ga. A momenetary 40Amp load lis possible like comming hard on the throttle. The voltage drop will be 0.244V on 16ga and 0.096V for 12ga. This would mean 16ga has an additonal 0.148V of drop than 12ga.

Given that the battery is only 4.2V full and the voltage under load will be close to the nominal rated voltage of 3.7V an additional drop of 0.148V more is huge. Using 12ga would provide the motor with 4% more power than with 16ga. That 4% could be why comming off the corner feels softer. A 13.5 will draw more amps than the 17.5 so with single cell, I have a feeling 12ga is going to make a comeback.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #237
Tech Elite

Quote:
Your right! my bad. In that case I should mention I am running the new Trinity based 360 RC Motorsports 13.5 with the timing in the middle of the three settings, I think it is 10 degrees advanced.
That's interesting -- not a lot of advance. The Tekin guys have been reporting best results when running an adjustable timing motor by running in sensored only mode and cranking the motor timing as far as it will go. My SP 13.5 has fixed timing so I run in hybrid mode with 90% timing via Hotwire and it is crazy fast. This is in touring cars though.

You're probably getting totally mellow motor temps then, no?

Also, why two caps? I would think that with a 13.5 at such low voltage just one would be plenty.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #238
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
That's interesting -- not a lot of advance. The Tekin guys have been reporting best results when running an adjustable timing motor by running in sensored only mode and cranking the motor timing as far as it will go. My SP 13.5 has fixed timing so I run in hybrid mode with 90% timing via Hotwire and it is crazy fast. This is in touring cars though.

You're probably getting totally mellow motor temps then, no?

Also, why two caps? I would think that with a 13.5 at such low voltage just one would be plenty.
Not to take away from Donnie but the Trinity motors do not really like to be run at full timing nor do they need to be. With them in the middle at 10 degrees they are as fast or faster than anything out there and do not get super hot and fall off like others set at full timing.

Thats what I have found in various classes so far.

Thanks for all the updates Donnie....Sounds like the single cell lipo is going to work great! Now we just need the powers that be to listen!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:48 AM   #239
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to brians11

Quote:
Currently running a Much More 200mah 7.4v lipo receiver pack
Donny,

How long does the rx pack last? Will it need to be recharged throughout the night?
brians11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #240
Tech Addict

A 200 mAh receiver pack will last for 2 runs safely in 12th with a digital servo. Takes about 80 mAh or so per run depending on the track with the digital servo.

I used to charge mine every run but my pack was only 150 mAh.