Old 08-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #31
Tech Rookie

hyperion makes an ac/dc charger for $150 that's pretty nice
wolf@ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Ray Lan

Has anyone tired the FMA Direct Cell Pro 4s?
Features balanced charging.
Ray Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting101 View Post
Pulsar 3 charges lipos to the highest legal voltages
agree
complete volt 8.5x V
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #34
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lan View Post
Has anyone tired the FMA Direct Cell Pro 4s?
Features balanced charging.
Hi Ray

The CellPro 4S is a great little charger. Simple to use and at a great price too. Been using it for some time. Quite a few of us running Lipos have been using it.

HoJo
HoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:02 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Dear Leo/RC Market,

If used Pulsar3, any problem with balancing since Pulsar3 dont build-in any balancing port?

Tks.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #36
Tech Regular

We have found almost all of the chargers we tested to be inaccurate with regards to the voltage shown on the screen. We have been checking them with volt meters and found many chargers say they are at 8.4v, but really are 8.28v or so. Per some of the conversations myself and another have had with the manufacturers, they consider a pack charged at anything over 8.20v, and could care less about the accuracy as long as its at least 8.20v.

We have taken it upon ourselves to build our own chargers, and calibrate them to the correct voltage so your not missing anything when every lap counts. Seems most of the manufacturer's really don't care about the racers, and even many of the higher end chargers we have found not accurate, even though they call it a "Pro" charger.

Easy to use menu's and push buttons are only part of a chargers function, the other part is charging the batteries consistantly and accurately, and this area seems to have a big seperation. Only one on the market I know of that gets them charge accurately is the GFX 35...And ours, which is still in Beta phase.

Also, they seem to use a super slow charge rates in CV mode. This makes them slow when trying to get ready for the next round. Ours on the other hand is much faster ramp meaning as it approaches the set voltage our current is higher than most others but still hits 0.001A when fully charged.
Dragula426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Here is something to think about on the Hyperion DUO. What ya gonna do if one side happens to go bad? They you are without an charger until they fix it.

I too was looking at this charger and the two in one feature was the reason, until I thought about the what if part of it.

I have a Thunder power 610 and LOVE it! Small and compact chargers upto 10 amps and built in balancer. I just purchased a pulasr 3 and will trying it for the first time this coming week.

With the Thunder Power 610, the two races i have used it at measured voltage going on the track. This thing both times had my packs at 8.42v.

I charged a pack onthe Pulsar the other night just to see if it worked and to kindda get used to the ins and outs of it...I checked the voltage right after the charge on that one and it was 8.44v.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #38
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
Hi Ray

The CellPro 4S is a great little charger. Simple to use and at a great price too. Been using it for some time. Quite a few of us running Lipos have been using it.

HoJo

I agree great charger, I have two. I started using one for my Helis about two years ago and now for my cars. Has alot a features for a little package. The only knock against it is no discharge.

Also someone was talking about two different chargers have different full charges. I know some charger like the Cell Pro have a cold Cell feature . Where if the room is under a temp that it will treat the cells has if they are cold and charge them less. So that when the cells warm up, their voltage will increase to the proper full charge. just throwing that out there don't know if that apply to your situation.

Jake
Outerlimits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Hi,
I'm using pulsar3, and maybe somebody don't know; pulsar3 has a voltage calibration mode. When you power it while pressing +inc and -dec buttons, it enters to voltage calibration mode. After that you can calibrate it with your voltmeter. But please don't forget that many of the cheap voltmeters have false readings too.
deepfree_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

For $69.99 the Onyx 230 AC/DC charges at 6A and it's CV trickles in all the mah you need.
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfree_z View Post
Hi,
I'm using pulsar3, and maybe somebody don't know; pulsar3 has a voltage calibration mode. When you power it while pressing +inc and -dec buttons, it enters to voltage calibration mode. After that you can calibrate it with your voltmeter. But please don't forget that many of the cheap voltmeters have false readings too.
Good string with many interesting views...

Pretty much agree that I could get 8.44V out of my LRP Pulsar 3 chargers; but, the charges were not necessarily balanced at those ending voltage numbers.

I find that the 8.40-8.42V balanced charges from my Hyperion 610 Duo (not 2) are as good as what I got from the Pulsar chargers delivering 8.44V.

Wish that I could calibrate my Hyperion to 8.44V to check how that would be.

Just my take...

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #42
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprsme View Post

I have a Thunder power 610 and LOVE it! Small and compact chargers upto 10 amps and built in balancer. I just purchased a pulasr 3 and will trying it for the first time this coming week.

With the Thunder Power 610, the two races i have used it at measured voltage going on the track. This thing both times had my packs at 8.42v.

I charged a pack onthe Pulsar the other night just to see if it worked and to kindda get used to the ins and outs of it...I checked the voltage right after the charge on that one and it was 8.44v.

Have to second his thoughts on the Thunder Power 610, I bought one for myself at the Novak Race a couple of weeks ago, & I've been VERY pleased with it, fairly easy to use, LOVE the charge rate, the balance board is cool, & in the voltmeter testing I did there, it hit 8.40 volts with EVERY battery EVERY single time. I consider it money WELL spent....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #43
Tech Regular

We have found two other chargers that are very accurate and we like:

This one is great for the weekend racer, and has some nice features and for the money is a really nice bargain, its accurate too:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7523

The other which I highly recomend for the racer types that really need all the info when grading and checking a packs performance as well as full user programability and upgradeability:

http://www.tmenet.com/xtrema.htm
Extreme Graffix
Dragula426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #44
Tech Addict

get the pulsar 3 or the nosram counterpart. you'll never go wrong with these two chargers.