R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default My new track, ideas and help please...

Hi Guys,

My first post on these boards, please be gentle...

I am based in the UK, living in west sussex, a place called worthing. I own a plot of land near a local village called Findon and am looking seriously at building what i hope will become one of the UK's best venues, but i would like to tap some of the great knowledge i see on these boards.

I have been racing nearly 10 years, so am quite familiar with the local tracks and clubs and to be honest very much believe there is room for something better. I have a 5 acre plot set aside for this venture (very nice inheritance) which may turn into off road in the other corner aswell, (thats whole other thread).

I have contacts with the local councils and have approached them with the idea, and they seem very receptive, it has gotten to the point were i have been granted initial permission pending detailed plans, so it is a done deal.

I think i have the construction sorted, i have a very good friend who owns a ground working company willing to sort the groundwork out, and he apparently has the right contacts with the asphalt men too.

My question really relates to track layout, i have no clue how to design the track to be fast, yet flow nicely corner to corner and have decent overtaking opportunities without being so fast everywhere that only the top motors will win. The area I have planned for the track is a large rectangle, 60 meters long by 40 meters wide, i would like a 4 meter lane all round with a suitably positioned pit lane. The track doesn't have to fill the whole area, but i am trying to allow for 1/10th electric up to 1/8th gas.

If someone can come up with a good design for me to either give me ideas or the complete design I am willing to name the track after them, i.e. the Jack Masters Raceway or similar.

So, lets see what you have guys, and feel free to drop me any helpful hints, I'm hoping to get this thing completed by november, or at least just awiting asphalt by then, and drop the asphalt on it early next year.

Oh, i was thinking a track with grass sections around the layout rather than a flat lump of tarmac...
James-rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by James-rc View Post

My question really relates to track layout, i have no clue how to design the track to be fast, yet flow nicely corner to corner and have decent overtaking opportunities without being so fast everywhere that only the top motors will win.

Oh, i was thinking a track with grass sections around the layout rather than a flat lump of tarmac...
Being that you are new to designing race layouts it might be better to install a flat lump of asphalt and use your track barriers to create flowing layouts. Do this for your first season and later on add the grass areas for the next season. This way you'll learn alot before making anything permanent. It seems to me the bigger issue is building a program that draws lots of racers regularly and you should maybe concentrate on that, and once that's in place then fine tune your track.
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Tech Regular

For my 2 pence worth, I would design a circuit that can have multiple layouts.
some of the static tracks are fun, but it is nice to have 6-7 layouts.
Have a look at WLRC's layout, it has technical areas and flowing parts too.
whoopass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You should put in at lest 3 timing loops at different parts of the track just under the asphalt so you have options. I used 1/2" black PVC tubing with a gentle bend so you can change the wire easily if you have to.
Good luck and make it fun or don't do it at all.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji View Post
Being that you are new to designing race layouts it might be better to install a flat lump of asphalt and use your track barriers to create flowing layouts. Do this for your first season and later on add the grass areas for the next season. This way you'll learn alot before making anything permanent. It seems to me the bigger issue is building a program that draws lots of racers regularly and you should maybe concentrate on that, and once that's in place then fine tune your track.
Good advice. ^^^^

The best tracks I've ever seen never ended up the way they started, they morphed over time until a layout that suited the racers and popular classes was settled upon.

Grass is a fine idea, from the outside, but having openings in the ashpalt to allow it is costly not only during the paving process but also leads to cracks and other issues later on. Go the "lump of asphalt" route, paying a lot of attention and funding into getting the smoothest surface possible, and get some astroturf/indoor-outdoor carpeting and use it for the grassy areas.
szakcajaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:51 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

thanks for the advice guys, any help is much appreciated.

we have one guy beavering away on a couple of designs for us and we'll see what he comes up with.

will have to think about the slab of tarmac approach, but imagine it is very difficult to do it well. Having a look at the titc track which looks amazing, and snetterton and WL looking good when they are all painted up as well.
James-rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Awesome a new UK track! All the best with that one!

You don't want to consider relocating the land up north as we could do with some more decent tracks up here!?
JRXS_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Tech Master

Or you could re-locate down here in sunny Cornwall, where the sun never stops shining (NOT!). Oh, I raced at the Kissemmee track that held the world's a few years ago, that was a great track with loads of differant layouts. Google image it and you'll see. Cheers bud.
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRXS_chris View Post
Awesome a new UK track! All the best with that one!

You don't want to consider relocating the land up north as we could do with some more decent tracks up here!?
or relocate to southern california. we wouldnt mind have another on-road facility.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote