Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Installing Ozite

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Default Installing Ozite

We have our hands on some used racing carpet and our track floor is industrial concrete. Is the only way to install the carpet is with using the carpet adhesive in the can..."carpet glue"? I'm wondering once we do use adhesive if we can ever pull the carpet up and use it again or does it get trashed?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

we roll out the carpet and roll it back up, after each meet. this way it won't get to dusty.

but carpet tape should be fine. what you might need to do is place a sub floor on top of the concrete, so no moisture can come through and run the carpet
Old 08-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
We have our hands on some used racing carpet and our track floor is industrial concrete. Is the only way to install the carpet is with using the carpet adhesive in the can..."carpet glue"? I'm wondering once we do use adhesive if we can ever pull the carpet up and use it again or does it get trashed?
you can just duct-tape the carpet together at the seems and if you want to on the edges as well. In our club we attach each piece together and just let if float on the floor, seems to work very well.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

If you just tape it together and lay it down doesn't it have areas of bumps or areas that aren't smooth?

It just stays flat all on it's own?
Old 08-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
If you just tape it together and lay it down doesn't it have areas of bumps or areas that aren't smooth?

It just stays flat all on it's own?
Yes it seems to stay down very well...the pipe or boards seems to help keep it down as well.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

What about when turn marshalls run on it and stop? It doesn't shift or bunch up under those stresses?
Old 08-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

On concrete, it would probably stay put pretty well. I have seen carpet laid on a roller rink w/o carpet tape, and it bunched up from the cars in the sweeper. The rink was obviously very smooth.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What is the differrence between something you would buy to cover a marshall speaker cabinet with and the stuff you buy from Calandra? They are both Ozite arent they. Is there a special weave, weight or grain to the racing stuff?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

When we pulled up the old carpet at the Plex I was surprised by how well it stayed intact. It can be glued and then pulled back up and re-used.

I still have all 4 rolls of it in my garage if anyone is looking for some good used ozite...
Old 08-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Oh boy been along time since we setup and tore down carpet for ever race..

Here is how we did it.

You need:
-Duct tape or packing tape
-3 standers
-3 pullers
-3-5 jumpers
-1 or 2 tappers.

1)Layout the strip of carpet.
2)Tape one end of if and have standers stand o the edge of carpet
3)At the other end have the jumpers stand near the end of the carpet
4)Pullers will now grap that end of the capet and on the count of 3 the jumpers will jump as the pullers pull.
5)quick visual to ensure straigth carpet and now wrinkles or lumps... if any repeat set 4
6)Tapers can now tape the pullers edge down
7)Tapers can tape down the long sides
8)line up next strip of carpet and repeat steps 1-7. Taking extra care to aligne next to the first piece thats taped down...

We did this for 10plus years, at -10 to -20C our trailer would park outside the hall and we humped the gear in and layed the capets out.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In our permanent location i believe we glued the carpet down.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
What is the differrence between something you would buy to cover a marshall speaker cabinet with and the stuff you buy from Calandra? They are both Ozite arent they. Is there a special weave, weight or grain to the racing stuff?
racing ozite has a combination of fiber, latex and some chemical that is hard to get the right amount of. Sporadia... something like that.

when you lay down a carpet you have to stretch it tight, let it settle for a day or two, stretch it tight again and fix it down.

works best if you glue it. you can tape it, but you might get some wrinkles/bubbles.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

we have ours down with a double sided carpet tape in our "permanent" facility. As far as getting dirty...we sweep it, with the carpet "beater bar" on high so it's not rubbing against the carpet real hard. the double sided tape USUALLY lasts all winter as far as not getting wrinkels etc, but sometimes, we do have to pull a section up and relay/stretch it.

when we do a race outside our facility (we do a race at a car show at the University of Notre dame..yeah..shameless plug) we do use duct-tape and tape each piece down then laydown the next piece. for a full weekend of racing, that works great.

Every spring, we roll up our carpet and "wash" down the concrete to make sure it stays clean and the tape sticks well. We'll be laying it down soon to start our winter season at the end of september, I'll try and remember to take some pictures of the process.

Hope that answers some questions
Aaron
www.michianarc.com
Old 08-15-2008, 03:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default carpet

Hi,

Does the carpet handle ok if it is rolled up after each meet ?
It doesnt stretch and get out of shape or get ripples???
Old 08-15-2008, 04:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FroBoy

I still have all 4 rolls of it in my garage if anyone is looking for some good used ozite...
Check your PM's!