R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-02-2003, 04:33 PM   #16
Tech Elite

You don't only get practice from racing - when I was younger I learnt a lot by using the manholes in the street outside my house as markers, and using them as a racetrack - you can still drive tight lines and learn a lot about car control.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:42 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Michelle See won't let me answer this question
Old 09-02-2003, 08:47 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Default How do you guys practice your driving skills?

Guys;

Practice is like School. You need to pay attention to what is going on, so you actually LEARN something from it.

You're only going to learn so much from running around in an open area by yourself. Go out and enter some races to get the actual feel for competition. You may not get 1st, but you may surprise yourself (and everyone else) and do much better.

The experienced Guys know to show up at the Track early to get enough practice and tuning time in before a race.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:39 AM   #19
Tech Master

I spend the most money on my r/c on pratice time. Yes time is money, so practice costs. ALOT. Something like 15hrs a week or more during my first year in r/c.

When I first started out, I did the usual stuff like buy hop ups, good race stuff, and end up crashing all over the place due to the overwhelming horsepower. (We've ALL seen the newbies with 5 port turbo engines lol)

Later on, I decided to actually practice/setup with a disadvantage, e.g. practice with sorex 36rs at night. Why? If you can get your car setup and handling with a less grippy set of tires, can you imagine what you can do with a set of tires that are grippy on the actual race day? I seriously do this, and if I do go for "fun" practice, it's the way I do it. No need to swap in Sorex 20rs for night runs =)

Finally understand your car, and not "change to every new chassis to see what suites you". I'm mostly a tamiya guy, favouring the original TRF414M or original TA04R; stick with your car, play with it, tweak it, fix it up, tear it apart. You want to be fast in getting it back in a race situation, if damage occurs.

If you have a lap timer or friend to clock your car, try varying setups. Go out of the box and set the car totally opposite to what setting sheets and online manual says. You'll see as you proceed you'll want more and more corner speed =)
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 01:35 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Default Sorex 36R's at Night!!

Alvin;

Actually that's what alot of us have been running here at our night races. (High 70's, low 80's at night [F])

What you'll find is the 36R's have more grip and in a wider temperature range than the 32's and 28's. (at least this has been my experience)
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 02:01 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to audiaudi Send a message via MSN to audiaudi

32R's temperature range really narrow.. but it is good on carpet indoor. now we are using 36R at night and 40R at daytime (summer in HK now)...

Trying very hard to jump back into RC with CRC Xti-wc.
audiaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 02:08 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

Go out and buy the RealRace G2 simulator, it is awesome. Not only is it very fun to play, but it will also improve your lap times but more importantly your consistency.

My biggest problem is consistency, a lot of times I turn the fastest lap of a heat or the mains but I just can't keep it together for a whole race... the RRG2 software has really helped me with my consistency and i've noticed dramatic improvements in my driving.

I highly recommend the RRG2 software to anyone who wants to improve their driving, just play it for about 30 minutes a day after you get home from work or school or whatever and I guarantee your driving will improve.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 02:44 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord
Go out and buy the RealRace G2 simulator, it is awesome. Not only is it very fun to play, but it will also improve your lap times but more importantly your consistency.

My biggest problem is consistency, a lot of times I turn the fastest lap of a heat or the mains but I just can't keep it together for a whole race... the RRG2 software has really helped me with my consistency and i've noticed dramatic improvements in my driving.

I highly recommend the RRG2 software to anyone who wants to improve their driving, just play it for about 30 minutes a day after you get home from work or school or whatever and I guarantee your driving will improve.
This is why I have my my HPI micro RS4. I race it at least 3 times a week. Mostly on the weekends that there is no racing, but it keeps me used to driving. Also, a real car going against real competition is more fun than a computer game, or so I feel. I constantly change the track (after I've dumped the pack) so that I can accustom myself to learning new tracks, driving styles and driving lines.

I feel it helpps me keep my driving skills from falling dormant in the 2 week span from race weekend to race weekend.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 03:00 PM   #24
Tech Regular

I can see where the Micro RS4 would help... Years ago, guys that I used to run with ran 12th scale exclusively. Over time, they started running 10th, and they were awesome right off the bat. The fact that they were so used to the quicker response of the 12th scale made running 10th SO much easier.
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 06:41 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Ask for the right setup for your car in your local track, especially the right tires and practice, practice, practice until you run out of tires!
Wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 05:32 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Also check out the thread "Faster cornerspeed like pro...", there's a lot of good information too.