R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #76
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Grizzbob,

I'd be really curious to see the test on the LiPo run again with some heat in it. A starting temp around 120F or so. It seems universally accepted that heat further improves performance, and helps the LiPo hold more voltage under load (though doesn't seem to affect its resting voltage).
Yeah, I've thought about that, but I'm still a bit reluctant to try it, as I don't have a reliable means that I'd trust to heat my pack up, & I worry that I'd go too far(& I want this pack to last a good LONG time, so I decided not to take any chances with it at least until I can buy a second pack & figure out a good, safe & accurate way to warm it)....But I think I should try some more tests with a few different motors, to see how that affects things....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Grizzbob, I'm just curious, as you don't mention it in your test paramatures, did you lead up for the Lipo tests? If so what was the spec weight that you ran at? Thnx

Thugs, every type of spec racing I've ever been involved with always involved more time and money. Setup and peak efficiency of the equipment was the only difference between a win and a also ran position.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #78
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tenpins77

Great to see all the updates and opinions going around here, i have been reading weekly. It's interesting how the battery hipe is so intense lately. I think there were two nimh's on the shelf at my lhs this weekend, with there being over 100 lipo's.

Flat out, its because the drivers are being sponsored by (trinity,checkpoint) etc, but its ultimately their decision, if their sponsor says run ep 4200's this weekend the sponsored driver isnt going to say "No" im not! Recently i spent over 350 in 4 of orions new SHO Cells, and went brushless with losi's xceleron. Ultimately i really dont see much of a difference with the 4200's than the older 3700's that i was running

Mainly its the everyday racer that sets the rc trends, we see that andymoore won a race using Orions new Lipo so were going to run the lipo in our car so we can win the a-main. Just like we all saw how all the pros used the same color wire, so we go with that method too, and most of all we see a pro directsolder their packs, so we direct solder ours! It's all trends, pros run pro stuff because they want you to buy it! What they do is leave out the little details, or leave out mentioning past history.

"Weren't racers winning races with their 3700 and 3300 packs back in the day?"

Why the hipe to push 5000nimh and insanely fast lipo's now?
tenpins77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #79
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Grizzbob, I'm just curious, as you don't mention it in your test paramatures, did you lead up for the Lipo tests? If so what was the spec weight that you ran at? Thnx

Thugs, every type of spec racing I've ever been involved with always involved more time and money. Setup and peak efficiency of the equipment was the only difference between a win and a also ran position.
Yes, I did make sure the car was at a legal weight with the LiPo, though that is stil the one variable that changed a bit between LiPo & NiMh. Since I typically run the LiPo exclusively, my car was already rebalanced weight-wise(& with the SMC 5000 it weighs 1532 grams), but since I didn't believe it'd adversely affect the amp loads, I left the weights in with the NiMh(& with it I think the car weighed about 1660 grams, I know that's about 4 oz. but again I don't think that's enough to seriously affect the amp draw, but it did affect the G's it was attaining in the corners a little bit, car actually felt a bit more locked down with NiMh, in part because the track's pretty dirty right now). Plus, I don't have any extra weights to shuffle around right now, so at the time it just wasn't practical to peel a bunch of them off just to switch battery packs. But once I can get another package of them, I may be able to play with that a bit more, too....

Go Pokes!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #80
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post

Johnny,
Exactly you get it.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #81
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
Yes, I did make sure the car was at a legal weight with the LiPo, though that is stil the one variable that changed a bit between LiPo & NiMh. Since I typically run the LiPo exclusively, my car was already rebalanced weight-wise(& with the SMC 5000 it weighs 1532 grams), but since I didn't believe it'd adversely affect the amp loads, I left the weights in with the NiMh(& with it I think the car weighed about 1660 grams, I know that's about 4 oz. but again I don't think that's enough to seriously affect the amp draw, but it did affect the G's it was attaining in the corners a little bit, car actually felt a bit more locked down with NiMh, in part because the track's pretty dirty right now). Plus, I don't have any extra weights to shuffle around right now, so at the time it just wasn't practical to peel a bunch of them off just to switch battery packs. But once I can get another package of them, I may be able to play with that a bit more, too....
So, this was an apples to oranges test. You may have just as well run the car completely unweighted for both and came up with parallel results...
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #82
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
So, this was an apples to oranges test. You may have just as well run the car completely unweighted for both and came up with parallel results...
But that's just it, wouldn't have made any difference except in the car's handling. The main thing I was testing was each battery's ability to hold its voltage uder load, & as I said, when I have more time & more weights to play with, I should be able to do some testing with the car weighing exactly the same either way(which is simply not possible running without weights, I'd have to for the NiMh but it just be way TOO light that way with the LiPo, & it DOES affect the car's handling, with enough grip it'll start to flip over in a right hand turn, & I know it happens because it happened to me when I first got the LiPo & was adding weight bit by bit to balance it out, HAD to get it up to a decent weight for the car to feel right).....

Go Pokes!!!