R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have only one race day on a Lipo in my touring car and it's a BIG HELL NOOO!!! to Nimh. Take the car off the track....start charging....run it again and again. I've ran several seasons on Nimh and the ease of Lipo overrides any Nimh advantage.

My .02 cents
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
So you don't see a performance advantage between a new matched NIMH vs Lipo???? I'm not talking about convenience or cost just track performance....

I haven't run them back to back so I really couldn't tell you. I can't remember the last time I raced against someone running NIMH. Here in florida Lipo became legal in Janurary for the electric state series. Since then all the "fast guys" all run Lipo.

I will tell you this. I know that at the recent ROAR nats Travis Schreven ran Lipo cause he was faster than he was with NiMh.

Also to everyone that belives that these "Magic Factory Nimh" exist. Belive me what Danny (from SMC) is saying is the truth. Their packs don't last and go bad just like ours do. The only differance is they have FRESH packs at every big race.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #48
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshack View Post
I would be crazy to think that the top drivers don't get the absolute best cells from each batch for the big show but I do think that when I buy the best offered to racers, I am getting great packs. I've been known to put a few great drivers in second place from time to time.

We only pick out packs for our drivers the week before the race. The rest of the time we sell everything we match. 5 years or so ago we use to see a .03 spread in voltage but now the voltage is only .01-.015 so there is plenty of great cells available for everyone.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #49
Tech Rookie

Quick reply to Danny. The cells may be the same but when it comes to matching, I know that at least some matchers put aside the cells with the best numbers on them for their top drivers. I guess this may not be true of SMC because the last lot of cells I got from you were pretty decent!!!

Sean
sean0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #50
Tech Fanatic

hey all: I agree li-po's will be taking over from ni-mh cells within the next year in my opinion and since li-po's can handle many more chaging cycles than ni-mh as long you take care of them i'm thinking li-po is the way to go. One thing we do need though is 1/12th road/oval pan car size li-po's. Thanks
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I bought some great EG's from SMC at the last Carpet Nats that were ballistic, they even had better numbers than some of the team drivers. But I also know of a couple brand X drivers that always run Batts with blank labels, don't know if they were REALLY good, or if brand X wasn't very proud of their numbers? Just and observation to a trend I have been seeing lately.
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #52
Company Representative

For those attending the IIC we will have our hardcase single cell Lipo for 12th scale. Initial testing in mod show the speeds to be very similar to a 4 cell pack.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Hey Danny, are there going to be any 5000mah+ Saddle lipos available that will fit in the Kyosho Lazer HS?
Old 08-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #54
Company Representative

At the end of this month were finally shipping out our 4900/25C saddle pack that should fit in all 4wd cars. I should have some pics real soon and I will post them in the offroad section.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info, thats when I was looking to buy
Old 08-13-2008, 11:48 PM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
For those attending the IIC we will have our hardcase single cell Lipo for 12th scale. Initial testing in mod show the speeds to be very similar to a 4 cell pack.
Don't forget the lead plate that goes with the pack to make Scotty's 865g weight limit, and the receiver packs they'll all need.

The world's gone LiPo-loopy, and it is all for nothing. The future is the A123 cells, because at teh rate these are being developed for cars, computers, 'phones, etc., no one will bother making LiPo in five years...

It's very, very disappointing Danny, that you have left a huge population of drivers running 4-cell classes in the lurch for cells by stopping NiMh. That sort of attitude to customers is poor.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #57
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Don't forget the lead plate that goes with the pack to make Scotty's 865g weight limit, and the receiver packs they'll all need.

The world's gone LiPo-loopy, and it is all for nothing. The future is the A123 cells, because at teh rate these are being developed for cars, computers, 'phones, etc., no one will bother making LiPo in five years...

It's very, very disappointing Danny, that you have left a huge population of drivers running 4-cell classes in the lurch for cells by stopping NiMh. That sort of attitude to customers is poor.
Are you making this up or do you know something I don't? I am not sure what "attitude" we have, but I don't recall seeing anything even close to what you are claiming. We match sub-C's all the time. Nothing has changed.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post

Sort of answers the question I"m going to ask, but is there a voltage regulator that could handle the amperage from a 2s lipo pack so the 1/12 guys could run a lipo pack yet only put out 4.8v ?

Or, as you mention , a 1s lipo pack with say a 17.5 bl motor in a class of nimh/21.5 cars , 1s/13.5 with nimh/17.5 , and so on .
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:41 AM   #59
Tech Regular

Ian, 4600's it is! No IB's though.
bshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Does everyone see the irony in this statement?