R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2008, 04:38 AM   #31
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingRoly View Post
I even sold my 1/12 until there's a lipo solution for that.
Same here!
I've been racing for a long time, but the past few years I would fade in and out of the scene (mostly out), only because I hated batteries so much.

Now I will only run classes I can throw a LIPO in. Mainly TC, and maybe some 4wd dirt next summer.
Mexi Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:33 AM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I too have been racing forever, but decided two years ago to try a different hobby (ATV's). However, I can't seem to give up on R/C. I race In Ohio and we have some great drivers to compete with and I don't want to show up at the track with batteries that are ALMOST as good. Believe me, I wan't to make the jump to Lipo's (I already sent TWO Turbo 35 BL's in to CE for the upgrade). But with all the posts that I have read on R/C tech in the last month, I have major doubt about going in that direction. I'm least worried about the packs going nuclear, and balancing them.
bshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:33 AM   #33
Tech Rookie

The reason it doesn't make sense to most people why the factory drivers don't switch to lipo's is because the NiMH's that factory drivers are so much better than the NiMH's that the normal racer can get hold of. So compared to normal NiMH's the lipo's seem as good or better but the factory NiMH's are still better than lipo's. You also have to remeber that because those who can be considered generaly the best drivers in TC are the five cell mod drivers, they are still trying to improve NiMH technology all the time.

Sean
sean0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have ran both in TC, and my NIMH's were faster, they had way more voltage in the start 10.01 vs 8.45. At the 2.5 minute mark they were 8.82 vs 7.89. At the end was 7.40 vs 7.77. It seemed that the batteries crossed the same voltage level around the 4 minute range, so the last minute of racing the lipo had the advantage. This was done with an old Victor on board telemetry system I still have laying around. And the batteries were IB4200's compared to ThunderPower 20c 4200 I borrowed. Although remember I did this test last spring so things may have changed in LIPO's since then. But one thing I did notice is that I was able to run forever with the LIPO's a full 3 minutes at least longer than with nimh. And I think that is due to the lower voltage in the begining of the run. If you use Ohm's law the batt's with the higher voltage will pull more amps, thus useing more of the batt mah's. Hope this helps as to why the "pros" still use NIMH. I personally will run both this year, NIMH in my TC and LIPO in my 4WD off-road car.
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #35
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
mostly i would say it has to do with weight and set-up issues. Most tourers are designed with a stick down 1 side configuration, so once they get their set-up dialed it can be tricky to get the same feel or response with a li-po due to it not being weighted similar to a Ni-mh pack. I know when I switched all my stuff over to li-pos I played hell for about the first 2-3 weeks just getting the "feel" back that I had with the Ni-mh packs. even with adding weight it changed the roll center of the car because the weight wasnt distributed like the Ni-mh cells. I imagine that as soon as people start designing chassis around li-po weighting and place ment in stead of the current cars, which are all designed around nimh cells and their placement in the chassis, we will start seeing everything and everybody running li-pos.
That's it, plain & simple. Good post!!!!!!!
szakcajaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Im sorry to say this guys but i feel the ep touring class is going to die down soon. This class is getting too fast for anyone to have any fun and the manufactor's are making very competitve cars that where some are costing around $500 and they are straying from the fact that this hobby is suppose to be fun which isn't making it fun for us and you might be having fun now but wait until next year or the year later when everyone makes another car and its going to be around $750. i have actually stopped racing 1/10th touring because of the prices.
beta bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:42 AM   #37
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshack View Post
I too have been racing forever, but decided two years ago to try a different hobby (ATV's). However, I can't seem to give up on R/C. I race In Ohio and we have some great drivers to compete with and I don't want to show up at the track with batteries that are ALMOST as good. Believe me, I wan't to make the jump to Lipo's (I already sent TWO Turbo 35 BL's in to CE for the upgrade). But with all the posts that I have read on R/C tech in the last month, I have major doubt about going in that direction. I'm least worried about the packs going nuclear, and balancing them.
Back in 2002 I also went into riding 4 wheelers. At the time it was actually chaper for me to do as gas didn't cost too much and I didn't have but 50 miles to get to two local riding areas. I did this on and off for about 4 years but never could give up racing totally. Now with lipos out I race weekend offroad and it is cheaper than ever for me to race.l

Sold the 4 wheeler. I do miss being out in the mountains just riding along and relaxing.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #38
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Eh in Off-road, I don't think Nimh has any advantage over Lipo. It's rare that a track has so much traction that you can put the entire power of the battery down. In my off-road vehicles I had to redo my setup to account for the lighter weight, but the nice thing was that both of my cars are at weight, and it let me really dial in the car by adding weight where I wanted it to go, rather than where it was forced to go. My B4 w/o the standard weight infront of the diff and in the corner pockets was 5 grams underweight. My T4 was actually overweight even with a lipo.

Eh, nimh's are more likely to go nuclear than Lipos. In the past 2 years, I've seen 5 nimh's blow their load (in one case, hitting a guy in the ass who had a limp the rest of the day... amusing, but imagine if he was facing the charger...) compared to 1 lipo.

Paul
Old 08-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Brad, dump the TC, get a 12th scale car and some EP or Ener-G packs. Dump them on your GFX, place them in a tray to equalize, charge 'em, run 'em, put 'em away. Repeat the following race day. The EP and Ener-G cells are hella stable and offer really strong repeatability, best batteries ever from a 12th scale standpoint.

I've been racing for over twenty years, and I personally have NEVER blown up a Nimh or Nicad pack. I've swelled a LiPo or two, but never had one burst into flame. Batteries fail. When LiPo becomes more mainstream you'll see more LiPo failures. Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but when serious racers start seriously pushing these things, (overcharging), you're gonna see more failures. The cute little rules like checking them with a voltmeter etc. aren't gonna stop this. Plus how long do you think it'll be before the LIPO peripheral accessories start reaching market. Lots of guys are already using heating pads to get them up to temp, so how long until we see "balanced discharging" to go with the balanced charging etc?

All the innovations in technology we see in this industry that are supposed to "Save On-Road" never actually change anything by the time they're fully adopted by the mainstream. By the time everyone's on-board we've already figured out how to push this crap beyond the normal intended parameters to find that extra 2 tenths a lap, and the scene stays the same......
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexi Brown View Post
Same here!
I've been racing for a long time, but the past few years I would fade in and out of the scene (mostly out), only because I hated batteries so much.

Now I will only run classes I can throw a LIPO in. Mainly TC, and maybe some 4wd dirt next summer.
Actually, the local hobby shop owner put a lipo in his 12th scale with a ton of weight added and it actually worked and he was a lot faster than me.
#88driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #88driver View Post
Actually, the local hobby shop owner put a lipo in his 12th scale with a ton of weight added and it actually worked and he was a lot faster than me.
If it was a two-cell Lipo he shoulda been faster than a normal 4-cell car, he's running 6-cell voltage levels.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #42
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean0 View Post
The reason it doesn't make sense to most people why the factory drivers don't switch to lipo's is because the NiMH's that factory drivers are so much better than the NiMH's that the normal racer can get hold of. So compared to normal NiMH's the lipo's seem as good or better but the factory NiMH's are still better than lipo's. You also have to remeber that because those who can be considered generaly the best drivers in TC are the five cell mod drivers, they are still trying to improve NiMH technology all the time.

Sean

Your wrong about factory drivers using special cells. They get the same cells everyone else can get and if someone doesn't believe this feel free to look me up at a major race so I can prove it to you.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #43
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
I've been racing for over twenty years, and I personally have NEVER blown up a Nimh or Nicad pack. I've swelled a LiPo or two, but never had one burst into flame. Batteries fail. When LiPo becomes more mainstream you'll see more LiPo failures. Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but when serious racers start seriously pushing these things, (overcharging), you're gonna see more failures. The cute little rules like checking them with a voltmeter etc. aren't gonna stop this. Plus how long do you think it'll be before the LIPO peripheral accessories start reaching market. Lots of guys are already using heating pads to get them up to temp, so how long until we see "balanced discharging" to go with the balanced charging etc?

All the innovations in technology we see in this industry that are supposed to "Save On-Road" never actually change anything by the time they're fully adopted by the mainstream. By the time everyone's on-board we've already figured out how to push this crap beyond the normal intended parameters to find that extra 2 tenths a lap, and the scene stays the same......
TRUE TRUE....
SO TRUE
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #44
Tech Regular

I would be crazy to think that the top drivers don't get the absolute best cells from each batch for the big show but I do think that when I buy the best offered to racers, I am getting great packs. I've been known to put a few great drivers in second place from time to time.
bshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #45
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
I have ran both in TC, and my NIMH's were faster, they had way more voltage in the start 10.01 vs 8.45. At the 2.5 minute mark they were 8.82 vs 7.89. At the end was 7.40 vs 7.77. It seemed that the batteries crossed the same voltage level around the 4 minute range, so the last minute of racing the lipo had the advantage. This was done with an old Victor on board telemetry system I still have laying around. And the batteries were IB4200's compared to ThunderPower 20c 4200 I borrowed. Although remember I did this test last spring so things may have changed in LIPO's since then. But one thing I did notice is that I was able to run forever with the LIPO's a full 3 minutes at least longer than with nimh. And I think that is due to the lower voltage in the begining of the run. If you use Ohm's law the batt's with the higher voltage will pull more amps, thus useing more of the batt mah's. Hope this helps as to why the "pros" still use NIMH. I personally will run both this year, NIMH in my TC and LIPO in my 4WD off-road car.
That is the only Correct Answer So Far
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote