R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #16
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Team Kwik Send a message via MSN to Team Kwik

Hi Guys,

First I would really like to say thank you for all the kind words. We have been working very hard on this project through this past Spring and Summer and we are very close to happy. Those of you who have worked with us in the past know just how particular we are about our products and this kit will be no exception. Shawn and I really have to thank Matt Bouchet who has been doing the majority of our engineering. Matt really put in the time to develop a chassis that's not just based on what looks good or has worked in the past but solid math and science.

To answer a few of the questions posted, as Kenny said this will be largely manufactured in house. Expect some of the usual OEM goodies from those who do what they do well. The carbon plates and unique aluminum parts will always be done in house so we can maintain the level of quality we have been known for in the past.

PutAwayWet - As for the rear ride height, you can pretty much get down to the rim if you want to. At this time we don't have any plans to pre-drill chassis for any particular servo. Right now there are several good 1/12 scale options out there and we would hate to be limited to just one. We will however be supplying servo mounts in our kits, all that will be required is to drill and countersink. As you mentioned the Futaba servo fits nicely and with the cutout in the chassis you can mount it completely flat on the chassis plate.

RCSteve93 - If you look over the chassis plate on the bottom view you can see a grid of holes in the front, 2 holes on either side of the shock mount and a single hole in the center of the lower pod plate. These holes are all designed for bolt on weights. Currently this car is below the IFMAR legal weight requirement by a significant amount. We felt it would be best to build a strong yet lightweight car while allowing additional weight to be securely placed in several strategic areas to fine tune the distribution and bring the car up to legal weight. When we move into production these weights will become available as an option.

Again, thank you for all the great feedback and kind words. We are very excited to get these out there!

Take care,
Nick
Old 08-12-2008, 01:28 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Looks very nice, another nice option out there. Its good to see interest in 1/12th again.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:43 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

first off. nice, and good job in the design.

my questions is this,

when Can I get one, 2 how much, 3 when can I get one, oh wait 1 and 3 are the same. carpet season coming up fast here in bc. would love to wheel a hot new car like this one.
abbadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:17 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

looking good Nick

We're going to skate to one song and one song only!
Dave Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kwik View Post
Hi Guys,

First I would really like to say thank you for all the kind words. We have been working very hard on this project through this past Spring and Summer and we are very close to happy. Those of you who have worked with us in the past know just how particular we are about our products and this kit will be no exception. Shawn and I really have to thank Matt Bouchet who has been doing the majority of our engineering. Matt really put in the time to develop a chassis that's not just based on what looks good or has worked in the past but solid math and science.

To answer a few of the questions posted, as Kenny said this will be largely manufactured in house. Expect some of the usual OEM goodies from those who do what they do well. The carbon plates and unique aluminum parts will always be done in house so we can maintain the level of quality we have been known for in the past.

PutAwayWet - As for the rear ride height, you can pretty much get down to the rim if you want to. At this time we don't have any plans to pre-drill chassis for any particular servo. Right now there are several good 1/12 scale options out there and we would hate to be limited to just one. We will however be supplying servo mounts in our kits, all that will be required is to drill and countersink. As you mentioned the Futaba servo fits nicely and with the cutout in the chassis you can mount it completely flat on the chassis plate.

RCSteve93 - If you look over the chassis plate on the bottom view you can see a grid of holes in the front, 2 holes on either side of the shock mount and a single hole in the center of the lower pod plate. These holes are all designed for bolt on weights. Currently this car is below the IFMAR legal weight requirement by a significant amount. We felt it would be best to build a strong yet lightweight car while allowing additional weight to be securely placed in several strategic areas to fine tune the distribution and bring the car up to legal weight. When we move into production these weights will become available as an option.

Again, thank you for all the great feedback and kind words. We are very excited to get these out there!

Take care,
Nick
Nick, the car looks fantastic!

Just curious, How did you make the car so light? I have never seen a car that even comes close to being under in weight. T-bar cars included... Well, since the 80's and 90's when we were running 1700 SCE's
march to my own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

March,
I'm sure Nick will jump on here with the answers your looking for real soon.

abbadu,
I'm pretty sure that they will be released some times in early fall. Nick will chime in with exact dates soon so keep checking this thread out.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #22
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbadu View Post
first off. nice, and good job in the design.

my questions is this,

when Can I get one, 2 how much, 3 when can I get one, oh wait 1 and 3 are the same. carpet season coming up fast here in bc. would love to wheel a hot new car like this one.
We expect to start production early this Fall as Kenny mentioned. Right now we are just finalizing a few things before Vegas. When we return I expect to be ready (design wise) to start focusing on getting these out there for people.

You can expect a competitive price for fulls kits along with a conversion kit option.

Nick
Old 08-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #23
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by march to my own View Post
Nick, the car looks fantastic!

Just curious, How did you make the car so light? I have never seen a car that even comes close to being under in weight. T-bar cars included... Well, since the 80's and 90's when we were running 1700 SCE's
There are a few things that contribute to the weight, primarily the IFMAR change to 865g. The last version of the car was running about 15g light using quite basic parts, I suspect the version you see in the pictures here will be slightly lighter.

All our carbon parts are 2.5mm quasi-isotropic and the aluminum parts we are manufacturing are 7075. We intend to include aluminum hardware as shown in the pictures of our prototype here. While we haven't been trying to make a light car we have been careful not to create extra bulk that's not required. Once we do a final round of prototype cars I will have a nice accurate idea of weight for everyone, it should be well under the legal limit.

Nick
Old 08-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The car performs amazing was able to jump on to new car and hot lap myself by .3 tenths and run .1 off of it for ever could not be happier. This car is going to be one to keep your eye on for sure
Old 08-13-2008, 02:05 AM   #25
Tech Rookie

Hey guy's thanks for the feed back. Well by the looks of thing I can wait a bit. As I'm going to be taking some time off from racing once we go back indoors here. Just a couple of months. which will be great as this car should be avail by then and will have some time to figure it out. cheers.

And keep us informed.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #26
Tech Rookie

Forgot to ask.

which brand of center shock you guy's planning on running. Will it be a new house brand or crc, Irs, or h/b.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #27
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbadu View Post
Forgot to ask.

which brand of center shock you guy's planning on running. Will it be a new house brand or crc, Irs, or h/b.
Hi Abbadu,

We are hoping to open up some sort of pre-order system in near future to get the ball rolling on this project. I will do my best to keep up with questions here and let folks know how things are progressing.

The shock is still something we are trying to work out, we really enjoy the Hot Bodies shock but we are trying to find out if it's going to be something that's available to us. If we can't go the Hot Bodies route I would expect a quality unit from IRS.

Take care,
Nick
Old 08-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Wow that is a great looking car I really like the open pod so you have no brushless issues. sucks i got a rc12r5. Are you guys going to keep the bulkheads like that they look a little on the chunky side?
beta bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #29
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta bob View Post
Wow that is a great looking car I really like the open pod so you have no brushless issues. sucks i got a rc12r5. Are you guys going to keep the bulkheads like that they look a little on the chunky side?
Hi Bob,

Matt designed the pod specifically to make sure you had enough room to easily get motors in and out of the car. I can literally hold a motor by the sensor wires in one hand with the car in the other and drop the motor in. This is without a doubt something we won't be changing!

The plates on the car now are all prototype so they are quite basic, expect to see a cooler and slightly lighter part when we get closer to production.

Take care,
Nick
Old 08-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #30
Tech Apprentice

looks great, i'm looking to upgrade from my gen-x
this looks like it will be a great replacement, when will it be avalible?
ricker96 is offline   Reply With Quote