R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default SpeedPassion GT with Novak or LRP 10.5

Hi guys,

I have a Speed Passion GT that I am currently running with a SP10.5.

Where I race in the UK, the BRCA will only allow certain motors for national events (the two above).

I wondering if anyone had experienced the use of the Novak and\or LRP on the Speed Passion and with what results..

The reason Iím asking is obviously, the LRP Sphere runs at a fixed 30 degree advance of which the Speed Passion can not even reach, Iím not sure on the Novak line of Speedos too hand... I know the LRP timing can be adjusted on the motor, therefore I can get it up to around this on the Speed Passion, can this be done on the Novak?

Any advice would be greatly received, on which motor would be better suited too go with the Speed Passion.

Cheers
CouldbeFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Is that you Tristan ?

I've run a Novak 10.5 on a Sphere with no problems, and also a Hacker on a Speed Passion GT, as well as Speed Passion motors.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's 2degrees difference between the Novak and LRP motors. Somewhere around 15 degrees on the GT speedo seems to be a nice spot for the 10.5 motors.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Hi Chris,

Indeed it is me..... Thanks for the reply.....

My only concern is the the timing really, I don't really want to pay out for a new speedo as well too get the high timing.. Infact is it really required?

I haven't much experiance with the 10.5's ... I guess if I run slightly lower advance that gives me more scope for gearing slightly higher to get that edge back..

Are the SP motors 0 advance on the motor?

Any more thoughts..?

Cheers.
CouldbeFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Hi Tristan,
Yes as far as I'm aware the SP motors have 0 degrees timing.

If you're looking for a motor on the BRCA legal list then it'll have to be one of the LRP, Nosram or Novak motors. I've not heard of any issues running them on the Speed Passion speedo's. The GT is a great speedo (I've got one as well as a Sphere), I wouldn't bother getting another one just to run a 10.5 with.

I've heard that the Speed Passion and Hacker 10.5 motors are going to go through the homologation process, so they might be approved soon, but as of now they aren't.