R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-12-2008, 04:39 AM   #91
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has tested their charger to see how well it balances the packs? The reason I ask is I am yet to balance mine, so I checked with a multi-meter and found one pack was one millivolt out and the other was two millivolts out(.002volts). So obviously no need to balance, but at what point should I? I assume that chargers don't balance down to one millivolt but has anyone actually checked? I have searched but found nothing. I don't want to test it on my nicely balanced packs to find my charger balances them worse than what they are now.
Thanks
Ben
Old 08-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #92
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Actually our 5000 has a bit better performance than our 4000. Here is the discharge graph of single cell used in our 5000 pack. The cell is a 2500 as our 5000 pack uses two 2500 cells in parallel and then those 2 cells are put in series (2S2P).
Attached Thumbnails
Lipo confusion-2500mah-graph.jpg  
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #93
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Question

Danny,

I'm a club racer and will never see a big race. What pack would you recommend that will fit into a Type R with no modifications?

You were talking about a pack to replace a 4 cell in 12th scale, Can you explain more about this and when do you expect this to happen? Will it be the same size as a 4 cell is now?

Thanks
lidebt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #94
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ok since this thread has gotten a little contested at times let me preface by saying this is a question. No motives one way or another.

Danny you have stated the importance of capacity in the performance of packs. Why did you use 2500 cells in a 2S2P configuration rather than 5000 cells in a 2S1P configuration for your 5000 mah packs? Is there some benefit one way or another?

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #95
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidebt2 View Post
Danny,

I'm a club racer and will never see a big race. What pack would you recommend that will fit into a Type R with no modifications?

You were talking about a pack to replace a 4 cell in 12th scale, Can you explain more about this and when do you expect this to happen? Will it be the same size as a 4 cell is now?

Thanks
You will be fine with our 4000. I believe it fits with no mods in the Type R but you may want to ask rcracingkid to make sure as he has experience with our packs in a Type R.

The single cell Lipo will be in a hardcase that is very close to the same size as a 4 cell side by side pack. We will have 4 sample packs at the IIC and we hope to have some demo runs on the track.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #96
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by padailey View Post
Ok since this thread has gotten a little contested at times let me preface by saying this is a question. No motives one way or another.

Danny you have stated the importance of capacity in the performance of packs. Why did you use 2500 cells in a 2S2P configuration rather than 5000 cells in a 2S1P configuration for your 5000 mah packs? Is there some benefit one way or another?

I think it has to do with our supplier not having any high C rate cells ready in the 5000mAh range and possibly the size of a single 5000 cell could not fit the ROAR maximum size. As far as I know this doesn't really help our hurt the pack by having 2 cells in parallel.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #97
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default 4 cell packs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
You will be fine with our 4000. I believe it fits with no mods in the Type R but you may want to ask rcracingkid to make sure as he has experience with our packs in a Type R.

The single cell Lipo will be in a hardcase that is very close to the same size as a 4 cell side by side pack. We will have 4 sample packs at the IIC and we hope to have some demo runs on the track.
I have Mike's old packs since he can't use them in Vegas.

Any preview for the general public now? Would like to see if they would work in my oval car.
lidebt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #98
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

are there any companys out there that make a weight to place under a lipo pack to help comensate for the weight difference?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #99
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yep. Try here.
jdearhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #100
Tech Regular

How does the 5000 Mah SMC pack fit into an associated B4 or a XXX-CR???
bshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #101
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number09 View Post
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has tested their charger to see how well it balances the packs? The reason I ask is I am yet to balance mine, so I checked with a multi-meter and found one pack was one millivolt out and the other was two millivolts out(.002volts). So obviously no need to balance, but at what point should I? I assume that chargers don't balance down to one millivolt but has anyone actually checked? I have searched but found nothing. I don't want to test it on my nicely balanced packs to find my charger balances them worse than what they are now.
Thanks
Ben
Ben, I don't have experience balancing 2s packs. But, I do with 5s packs. With a 5s pack and a respected balancer (Thunder Power), I was seeing anywhere from 12 to 18 mV gap between lowest and highest cell in the pack. With a 2s pack, I imagine you can expect the balancer to get it within 10 mV. I think you're wasting your time balancing a pack that's within 10 mV - unless your charger monitors cell voltages for additional safety.
-Adam
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #102
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshack View Post
How does the 5000 Mah SMC pack fit into an associated B4 or a XXX-CR???
LIKE A GLOVE! You do have to dremel a slot on the chassis battery spine but other then that it slides in, i have not removed my pack since the start of the summer, And with 13.5 i have done back to back bump up B to A main runs without recharging.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #103
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Any word on making a saddle pack that will fit in a B44.
Dave Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #104
Company Representative

At the end of this month were shipping out our new hardcase 4900/25C saddle pack. It will fit in all popular 4wd cars.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #105
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
Our newest goal is to try and figure out how to get a single cell Lipo to work for 12th scale road course and this could also be adapted to oval if a slower class is required.
..i'm VERY interested in this............one cell Lipo..wouldn't even need a balancer...........will 540 size motors be ran with one cell?.....or smaller motors like in the 1/18th cars?............one cell with 18th size motors would probably= exceptional tire wear as the cars would be VERY light.......
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote