R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #46
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is the reason why I created this thread is to hopefully help those who want the best performing Lipos understand what to look for. When I read all the various threads and see there is allot of confusion. If your serious about racing and want every bit of available power it makes no sense to buy a 3200 with 20C. You should get the highest capacity pack with the best possible C rate assuming it's true.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #47
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdearhart View Post
Joe, I understand your point. But, SMC didn't make the Orion 3200 obsolete, Orion did. SMC just made a pack to take the place of it that happens to be better.

We released the 3200/28C pack as ROAR decided to make it open to any 3200 Lipos in the 21.5 oval class. Then were told that Orion stopped making there 3200 pack so we decided to ask our supplier to see if we could make our 3200 using the same materials and technology for a few years to bring stability in the 21.5 class and our supplier told us that wouldn't be a problem. So the SMC 3200 pack will be available to the oval market for atleast 2 years and we will not discontinue it.

Our newest goal is to try and figure out how to get a single cell Lipo to work for 12th scale road course and this could also be adapted to oval if a slower class is required.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

jdearhart,

I understand the opinion the ORION made the 3200 obsolete. It ran it's course, and the OVAL market came into it when it was already being phased out. We knew we couldn't stop that...

We were told that when we tested and created the classes for it - it had been out over a year when we started testing it, and a year and a half before we actually raced it... Some people thought the 3600 was the replacement for the 3200, and went that route. The 3600, as I was told had some added weight and a bit larger case...and was in part done cause OFF-Roaders and On-Roaders wanted something heavier so they didn't have to put so much weight on their cars.

Oval racers can/should consider themselves lucky. SMC built a pack to come into that market, as did REEDY/ASSOCIATE (I don't see ANYONE carrying on about THEIR pack) TEKIN went right to the 3400 (which I am told QUALITY and PERFORMANCE Wise will rival the SMC 3200), TRAK POWER wanted into that market as well, and did a 3200, and then there's the cheap Yeah Racing Pack too.

Since ROAR doesn't currently have rules for OVAL w/ BRUSHLESS MOTORS and LIPOS - as of TODAY Roar isn't really a FACTOR in the rules (Which is why I keep asking WHY/WHAT ROAR has to do with ANYTHING.)

Remember - the ROAR OVAL COMMITTEE did NO Changes from 2007 to 2008, which means the OVAL RULE BOOK is still the SAME. (Exceptions were made, and the classes run at the nat's we TRACK OPTION classes, just like the NITRO classes)

So for those w/ ROAR's ideas - WHO knows what will be on paper when the Oval Committee sits down to figure out 2009.

The main reason I'm not concerned at the moment is OUR RULES (Like I said before) are SOLID through 11/08. Who KNOWS what else will be out by then.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Quote:
If your serious about racing and want every bit of available power it makes no sense to buy a 3200 with 20C. You should get the highest capacity pack with the best possible C rate assuming it's true.
I can not disagree w/ THAT statement...but on the same note...

If you are racing for FUN, and this is a HOBBY, not a way of life...you don't really need a 5000 mAh pack to run a 21.5 motor for a 4 minute race that will use 1100 mAh...

Especially, if you can get a pack that fits that need for around $35.00

Out of curiousity, anyone know what kind of mAh the 21.5's were pulling at the NAT's? On the VELO 21.5/LIPO runs 5 minutes and was pulling 1350 - 1550 (depending on ESC) while running 52+ MPH.

Quote:
Our newest goal is to try and figure out how to get a single cell Lipo to work for 12th scale road course and this could also be adapted to oval if a slower class is required.
That will be REALLY Popular when you get it figured out - if SPEKTRUM can make a NEW Radio that operates on 4.8 volts - what will it take to make a RECEIVER that will work on 3.7?
Old 08-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #50
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
That will be REALLY Popular when you get it figured out - if SPEKTRUM can make a NEW Radio that operates on 4.8 volts - what will it take to make a RECEIVER that will work on 3.7?
Receivers will already work on that. If you dump a 4 cell pack in mod now you can still drive the car till it wont move which is well below 4 volts. There may be some small problems with some systems but I am sure that can be worked out.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #51
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

It sounds to me like somebody needs to do a better job of sanctioning oval races and stabilizing rules on a national level. Get the same kind of pull that ROAR has and you can dictate to the manufacturers what you want. As it stands now, ROAR and IFMAR pretty much decide what kind of equipment gets made for this hobby (as far as race equipment goes) and nothing outside of that is going to get made.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #52
Tech Elite

I know I had my Spektrum receiver shut off running 4c/Mod a few times..but w/ the power cap installed it seemed to cure that.

LIPO receiver packs wouldn't really be a big thing to add (other than one more thing to worry about having charged) But MAN are those light...but you have to use a voltage reduction on those don't you? (Haven't run a REC. pack since 1400's.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

wingracer - there's a lot of truth in that.

When asking other B/L companies if they would be interested in building a SLOWER B/L motor - every one of them told me NO - NO interest - NO market.

Most sat on the fence until ROAR approved the 17.5, then they all went to town.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #53
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
It's NOT about building an INFERIOR product - it's about building on the same LEVEL.

lier lier pants on fire!

why in the heck would any company make the same damn thing as the next guy?

the strong survive
Old 08-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #54
Tech Elite

NICE Try, but I said the SAME LEVEL, NOT the same...

Although I do SUPPORT the idea of BLUE PRINTING, so I guess I'll give you THAT one.

With BRUSHED MODIFIED MOTORS, every component had SPECS and EVERY Component had to be approved to a TOLERANCE... That's ALL I ask for MOTORS and BATTERIES.

No FUNNY Stuff - No 13t / 19t motors - No 1/2 winds and call it a full wind.

SPEC MOTOR RULES for SPEC TYPE MOTOR Classes.

Wire Diam./Length, Timing, Rotor Size, Type of Wind, etc.

WHY would you buy? Same reason it appears you buy MOST of your stuff...

PRODUCT/MFG. Loyalty~ Just like a FORD or a CHEVY or a DODGE.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #55
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=SWTour;4725344]Danny/SMC

As a racer, I want to FINE TUNE my setup every time I go to a track...and I want that equipment to STAY THE SAME for a fairly long period of time...so I know EXACTLY how much better I've made MY setups.

NEW/FASTER/BETTER products don't make for BETTER racing, it just makes for MORE Expensive Racing.

/QUOTE]

again this goes back to me stating you want the same stuff in your car for 5 years....

you say one thing yet back peddle to say everything is ok?

i'm realy confused now..it almost sounds as if your not complaining about anything anymore?

or do you want jack and danny to create a oval sanctioning body and limit there products development?
Old 08-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #56
Tech Regular

danny and jack congrats on taking TQ in 17.5 and 21.5 lipo at the concrete nats!

and congrats on your win in 17.5!

trak power comes from left field to take the 21.5 class?

joe hurry up and start a trak power thread so you can bash them for making a better 3200 stick! lol
Old 08-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Nope,

Problem is Bill, I'm a RACER and a DIRECTOR

Note how that quote STARTS..."As a Racer"

I'll have you know - I get MY way on most of that "As a Racer" (Mainly because I spend a WHOLE LOT MORE $$$ on running the races - than I do on EQUP.)

I run in a NASTRUCK CLASS - bodies are 12 years old (I bought a BOX full back then)

I have Gen2's and a Pro3 Oval car - but 1/2 the time, especially for LOCAL Racing I run a MUCH Older L3, or L4...or my ReALLY OLD HPI RoadStar 10G0.

Before the EXPLODING and FAILING battery deal of the 4200 world, I could get 1 1/2 - 2 years from 1/2 dozen battery packs.

I Still have well over 100 MODIFIED MOTORS - ready to run - that arer 12-15 years old (From 6x1's to 15x4's)

The MARKET made those products obsolete, but I can still make ANYONE of them as fast as the NEW STUFF....

My VELO TRUCK is the same truck I've been running for 12 years (it currently has the SINGLE LAP Track Record set in MAY for the truck class)..matter of fact - it's still running JACK's VELO CAP TIRES.

I've never had the ISSUES w/ SMC, compared to what you seem to have had for ORION... sorry.

I express MY views, and several views expressed to ME by MY racers...and try to make a point of when I'm talking from "The Racer" perspective - I say SO.

Just like YOU and so many other racers - I get NEW stuff when I have to. But I don't like HAVING to get NEW stuff cause the old stuff (that still works great) can't compete.

I have NO beef against TRAK POWER so take that comment and shove it up your pipe...
Old 08-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #58
Tech Adept

Since this is Lipo confusion thread, I want to know if the Team Checkpoint 4900 is 20C or 25C? Towerhobbies said 25C and I seen from Stormerhobbies, it said 20C. I'm confused. Anybody please help! Thanks!
EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #59
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTHER FOCAR View Post
danny and jack congrats on taking TQ in 17.5 and 21.5 lipo at the concrete nats!

and congrats on your win in 17.5!

trak power comes from left field to take the 21.5 class?

joe hurry up and start a trak power thread so you can bash them for making a better 3200 stick! lol
Thanks. That proves that it's not all about a battery pack to win a race. Car setup and driving will always be the most important part of racing.

Maybe we should discontinue our 3200/28C pack and release a new 3200/35C pack. LOL
Old 08-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #60
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post
Since this is Lipo confusion thread, I want to know if the Team Checkpoint 4900 is 20C or 25C? Towerhobbies said 25C and I seen from Stormerhobbies, it said 20C. I'm confused. Anybody please help! Thanks!
The Checkpoint Lipos are the same as the Trakpower Lipos. I believe the 4900 is rated at 25C.