R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla8874 View Post
I have an off-drama topic question for Diggity... I see you are making the claim just like SMC about "being cycled on a GFX" and all that, but besides SMC themselves where have you even heard that cycling lipos is okay? Every premium cell manufacturer that I can that can think of, Kokam and Enerland specifically, positively recommend against cycling lipos as it doesn't add anything to them other than degrading their life cycle. So how many times are you cycling these and for what reason?
GFX is used to obtain performance #'s not to enhance it....
Old 08-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default Thanks

Diggity thanks for your efforts...
ignore all the blah..blah...
keep selling stuff....to put bread on the table... and help keep the sport/hobby alive in the U.S.

Thanks
CAUSE and EFFECT
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I know what a GFX does, but I thought SMC claims to cycle their lipos a certain number of times like nimh's for some reason other than to obtain performance data?
jla8874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I know what a GFX does, but I thought SMC claims to cycle their lipos a certain number of times like nimh's for some reason other than to obtain performance data?

That's news to me.....
Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #65
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
At one time Daznny posted numbers for back to back cycles showing higher voltage for the later cycles. Initially this was explained as "cycling lipos makes them better" but eventually Danny realized the numbers got better because the pack got warmer from the back to back cycles. The warmer the pack the higher the voltage. This temperature effect can be seen with NiMH as well as LiPos. It's just chemistry - chemical reactions proceed faster at higher temperatures than at lower temperatures.

Since this temerature effect was noted, some tracks/racing organizations have banned pre-heating of LiPo batteries. With NiMH this is not so much an issue since they heat up by themselves when charged. Buy LiPos don't heat up, at least when charged at the recommended 1C. I have actually had a LiPo cool down during charge. This was a hot day - the pack (a 4S 6000) came out of the car at 110F and cooled to the 98F ambient temperature even though it was charged in a battery bunker (meaning no ventilation).
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Thank you for that explanation sir! I knew I wasn't just imagining that SMC was cycling lipos. But you're right about the heating part. Somewhere on line there is an article from CORE-RC where theyre actually recommending warming their lipos to 100 something degrees for improved performance. But other than Core I have not heard of another manufacturers that endorses it.
jla8874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #67
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thank you for that explanation sir! I knew I wasn't just imagining that SMC was cycling lipos. But you're right about the heating part. Somewhere on line there is an article from CORE-RC where theyre actually recommending warming their lipos to 100 something degrees for improved performance. But other than Core I have not heard of another manufacturers that endorses it.
Trakpower has suggested it from day one. here is a quote off of their website.

"More performance?!!
TrakPower Lithium Polymer has a far greater energy potential than traditional battery technologies used in RC. The only performance enhancing practices recommended and authorized by TrakPower are as follows: Pre-race warming to 30-40 degrees Centigrade. Cell balancing (the practice of ensuring that each cell in the pack is equalised to identical charge voltage). While balancing is always good practice with LiPo Technology, in the absence of very cold temperatures 10 degrees C and below, most users will observe that warming is unnecessary because the pack will always be able to deliver more power than any other component in the drive train can draw from it. "

I have found that it lowers IR about 10% in my trakpowers and the SMCs I have tested, strange but on some packs it doesn't help as much. Only 1 # lower IR on my yeah racing packs.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #68
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

how much does a 3200 cost?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #69
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhipster1 View Post
Diggity thanks for your efforts...
ignore all the blah..blah...
keep selling stuff....to put bread on the table... and help keep the sport/hobby alive in the U.S.

Thanks
Orlando! Wow, it's good to see your still around. Where you living these days... Texas? New York?
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #70
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
I have an off-drama topic question for Diggity... I see you are making the claim just like SMC about "being cycled on a GFX" and all that, but besides SMC themselves where have you even heard that cycling lipos is okay? Every premium cell manufacturer that I can that can think of, Kokam and Enerland specifically, positively recommend against cycling lipos as it doesn't add anything to them other than degrading their life cycle. So how many times are you cycling these and for what reason?
Cycling the LIPO's does not hurt them at all.. The GFX is a high level charger that has the ability to cycle batteries so you can find out what the battery has! The 3200's didnt even get over 105degrees when I cycled them at 30 and we cycled it back to back a couple times without any problems. I even ran the same pack the day after and it was great!..

Digs
Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #71
Tech Fanatic

Oh yeah, BTW: We are not cycling the packs we sell, we only cycled a test pack to get some average #'s for advertising, thats all..

Digs
Old 08-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckoetsch View Post
how much does a 3200 cost?
How about read. Stop making useless posts in all the threads.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
Damon,

WOW! As a Tekin team driver that has received a large amount of FREE product and considering that the majority of the products listed on your site for sale are Tekin, do you think perhaps this is not a professional manner to conduct yourself?

You picked the wrong company to claim as inferior considering there are a large number of lipo batteries currently on the market that do not come close to meeting the ratings they claim, are manufactured with no regard for the environment or human rights and do not have proper testing to even be legal to ship by any means in this country. We did our homework and can sleep well.

You may run your business however you would like, but I must say I am almost speechless.

Jim Campbell
President
Tekin
My respect for Team Tekin has just bumped up alot (Not that I didn't respect you guys before). You made me speechless... I don't know what to say but wow! Protecting your companies name and the environment! I like!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggity View Post
Oh yeah, BTW: We are not cycling the packs we sell, we only cycled a test pack to get some average #'s for advertising, thats all..

Digs
You cycle ONE and use it for advertising!?!? You should have at least cycled a few to get an average.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #75
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSteve93 View Post
You cycle ONE and use it for advertising!?!? You should have at least cycled a few to get an average.
Yep we only cycled one battery pack to get some #'s off of. We cycled the same pack with 20 amp discharge 3 times and at 30 amps 3 times.. Gave me the #'s I needed, no sense in busting out some more packs!