Old 08-08-2008, 06:17 AM   #31
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

contintue to touch it....
Old 08-08-2008, 06:27 AM   #32
Tech Addict

What do you mean, I already dab a little across my top lip to get psyched for the next run...

POWERED BY SPEEDZONE USA
Skitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The debate over tire sauce is nothing new. It's been going on since the first on road carpet race.

Many different things have been tried (even citrus) but the best tire traction compound since the beginning has been Paragon Ground Effects. Even the folks who make the stuff heve been trying to get the smell out, but nothing has worked.

I do know the single biggest reason many people don't get into indoor carpet racing is the smell. My wife gets deathly ill just from a whiff. After a day of racing I have to change clothes in the garage before I can come into the house.

The first time I went to a carpet race (in 1988) the one thing every racer had in their tool box was a bottle of Extra Strength Tylenol.

And banning Paragon doesn't work. One track had a ban on Paragon from the day it opened. We had a big trophy race one weekend and I was race director. I was walking through the pits and as I passed the "pro" pit table (just where all the really good guys were) I noticed a big can of Paragon. I told the racer he could not use it and I confiscated the contrabanned substance, returning it to him at the end of the weekend. The best part is the racer was Mike Dumas! I found out a week later that all of the pro racers (we had a separate pro class back then) had been using Paragon for several months and everyone at the table was lending Mike their Paragon for the entire race. So much for bans! Racers always want to go fast.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #34
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've never been a regular racer, but for me, after being into RC for about 20 years, an onroad track just doesn't feel like an onroad track unless you smell winter green. Sadley enough, my 3 year old son saw me quickly sniff a tire that I had sauced with Ground Effects, and ever since then the first thing he does with ANY wheel and tire is sniff it. And then ask my wife to "smell the tire Mommy". Look what I created.
bladeszx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #35
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default compounds

I'm really surprised Paragon and Jack the Ripper can even be sold. They make your eyes water and your lungs swell; your nose sometimes doesn't stop for days after a race...What's in this nasty stuff? ...it says carcenogen on the back! I'm done with them...this year I'm trying Gojo and Goo Gone. I plan on living a long and healthy life!
sterling moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #36
Tech Master

put some grape juice on them tires!

If it won't kill you, it won't work.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #37
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
The debate over tire sauce is nothing new. It's been going on since the first on road carpet race.

Many different things have been tried (even citrus) but the best tire traction compound since the beginning has been Paragon Ground Effects. Even the folks who make the stuff heve been trying to get the smell out, but nothing has worked.

I do know the single biggest reason many people don't get into indoor carpet racing is the smell. My wife gets deathly ill just from a whiff. After a day of racing I have to change clothes in the garage before I can come into the house.

The first time I went to a carpet race (in 1988) the one thing every racer had in their tool box was a bottle of Extra Strength Tylenol.

And banning Paragon doesn't work. One track had a ban on Paragon from the day it opened. We had a big trophy race one weekend and I was race director. I was walking through the pits and as I passed the "pro" pit table (just where all the really good guys were) I noticed a big can of Paragon. I told the racer he could not use it and I confiscated the contrabanned substance, returning it to him at the end of the weekend. The best part is the racer was Mike Dumas! I found out a week later that all of the pro racers (we had a separate pro class back then) had been using Paragon for several months and everyone at the table was lending Mike their Paragon for the entire race. So much for bans! Racers always want to go fast.
How difficult is it to tech people using paragon ? All you have to do is fucking smell the tyres and not just prevent them from using the stuff, but ban them if they do. Cheating is cheating.

End of the day, why can europe manage to ban them and you guys can't?
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeszx2 View Post
I've never been a regular racer, but for me, after being into RC for about 20 years, an onroad track just doesn't feel like an onroad track unless you smell winter green. Sadley enough, my 3 year old son saw me quickly sniff a tire that I had sauced with Ground Effects, and ever since then the first thing he does with ANY wheel and tire is sniff it. And then ask my wife to "smell the tire Mommy". Look what I created.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Who will built the first Hybrid RC car?

One that runs on electric and gas???

Man the new meds are working today!!!!!
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

You know what might be best is stipulations other than the smell is on the containers. When you open up paragon, jack, Tq, etc. you getting all that built up gas that's been sitting inside the can released. And a big access hole where the gas can continue to escape while you are saucing. Then dripping the formula over your pit table going to your tires and back.

Using a form factor like Trinity does with the foam/felt rub down tops plastic bottles seriously limits the amount of gas released, and allows a very even covering of tires without as much dripping.

Seriously, I know these doesn't seem like much, and you still have whats on the tires and track itself being a carcinogen. It would seem the best compromise at this time and reduce the headaches, smell, and the amount each racer must touch these poisons.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire sauces being banned in indoor tracks?-tric9516.jpg  
Old 08-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #41
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 for Paragon

Last edited by BobbyS; 08-08-2008 at 03:39 PM.
BobbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #42
Suspended

Location: r.i.p Chiquita - 1993-2008 - "best dog in the world"
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy View Post
How difficult is it to tech people using paragon ? All you have to do is fucking smell the tyres and not just prevent them from using the stuff, but ban them if they do. Cheating is cheating.

End of the day, why can europe manage to ban them and you guys can't?
+1
ratherBracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #43
Tech Master

You'll never be able to appreciate paragon until you've
knocked a can over and have it land upside down on your lap.
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

now, grip it firmly.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #45
Suspended

Location: r.i.p Chiquita - 1993-2008 - "best dog in the world"

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Warner View Post
You'll never be able to appreciate paragon until you've knocked a can over and have it land upside down on your lap.
No worries as long as the wifey is into the whole Pinesol wintergreen fresh sort of thing.
ratherBracin is offline   Reply With Quote