There is a god, Masami.
+2
greenracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #32
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
Masami's probablly the GOAT r/c driver (not just 1/12) but it would be interesting to see how Collari compares. Too bad they don't run the same class.
Collari is the god of 1/8th on road. I have noticed there is a difference in driving style between guys that came from electric racing and guys that came from gas. Top electric guys are super quick and usually qualify well (Cyrul comes to mind) but often break or have problems in a long main. Top gas guys tend to be a bit slower qualifiers but rarely break in a main (Collari, Ileasi, Swauger).

I suspect Collari would be a bit too slow to keep up with the top 1/12th scale guys in an electric race but would kill them in gas. I could be wrong though, there are a few that can do both exceptionally well (Burch, Ciccarillo)
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Collari is the god of 1/8th on road. I have noticed there is a difference in driving style between guys that came from electric racing and guys that came from gas. Top electric guys are super quick and usually qualify well (Cyrul comes to mind) but often break or have problems in a long main. Top gas guys tend to be a bit slower qualifiers but rarely break in a main (Collari, Ileasi, Swauger).

I suspect Collari would be a bit too slow to keep up with the top 1/12th scale guys in an electric race but would kill them in gas. I could be wrong though, there are a few that can do both exceptionally well (Burch, Ciccarillo)
I couldn't have said it better. I think it'd be fun to see some sort of overall world championship. Maybe a 2 week event where everybody drove from 1/8 onroad & offroad to 1/12 onroad and a handfull in between.
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #34
Tech Lord

Man I would love to run something like that.

Day 1, 1/8th on road

Day 2, electric TC's on the same track.

Day 3, 1/8th off road

Day 4, 1/10 2wd electric buggies on the same track.

Day 5, 1/12th mod on the carpet.

Day 6, Just to get another nitro class in there, 1/10th nitro sprint cars on a dirt oval.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Cannot take anything from any of these drivers... But the Champs more prestigious.... you have got to be kidding me... to a vast majority of racers on this board... umm the champs are just another big race anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
12th records for Masami are no stronger than those of Spash. Overall Masami is the greatest driver across all electric disciplines in RC, but if we're just talking 12th scale, I stand by my pick. I just don't think the Worlds is nearly as prestigious a 12th scale win as Cleveland.

Dosie is a close personal friend of mine, and as far as the wheel is concerned, you're right, one of the best EVER. Two Cleveland wins, one for CAM, and one with my boy Troy and Fantom, and the second one came with a pack bought straight off the hobby store table at the Champs, while holding off Spash. Good stuff indeed.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #36
Tech Adept

My pick would have to be Joel Johnson. He dominated over a long period of time.

Has Masami ever won a 1/12 world title on carpet? I don't think he has. Doseck nocked him off in 91. Doseck also won 3 winter champs titles in the early 90's I believe. Those that remember that race held in Grand Rapids will tell you that it was an international event that was second to none.

Joel or Chris

My 2 cents
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post

All the guys you mentioned are worlds drivers and most are well accomplished in both.. I know swauger has a worlds title in electric and most factory drivers would agree that he is far from a bit slow...lol
I watched Cyrul win the sedan nats at texas with steady driving even if he has a well deserved rep for being crazy fast so he can adjust.....
The main difference is that some guys like Burch, Ciccarillo, Toso and a few others run both electric and nitro consistently year in and year out so they will win thier fair share of wins in both with thier talent....
Another person that comes to mind is Hara who has two Nitro National titles and he did not have the fastest lap times at one of the events for sure but drove exellent... Baker last year won the carpet nats, asphalt nats, and nitro sedan nats which was also done by toso the year before.....
All these guys are just at another level and way beyond being an electric or nitro driver, even though they have a bigger name in elect or nitro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Otis View Post
My pick would have to be Joel Johnson. He dominated over a long period of time.

Has Masami ever won a 1/12 world title on carpet? I don't think he has. Doseck nocked him off in 91. Doseck also won 3 winter champs titles in the early 90's I believe. Those that remember that race held in Grand Rapids will tell you that it was an international event that was second to none.

Joel or Chris

My 2 cents
Not sure but Holland might have been on carpet...
Old 08-08-2008, 02:40 AM   #38
Tech Initiate

Yes Holland was on carpet. My vote has to go to Spash, what he did in 98, winning all three classes, was amazing.
mark barford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #39
Tech Lord

I don't recall Swauger winning an electric worlds. When was that and what class?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #40
Tech Lord

NVM, found it. He won Pro 10 on 96.

Here are the 1/12th winners

IFMAR World Championship 1:12 Electric Track Modified

Year

Champion

Country

Venue

Arturo Carbonnel

USA

Anaheim USA

Tony Neisinger

U.S.A

Denmark

Tony Neisinger

U.S.A

Las Vegas U.S.A

Masami Hirosaka

Japan

Holland

Chris Doseck

U.S.A

Singapore

Tony Neisinger

U.S.A

Michigan U.S.A

David Spashett

England

Paris France

Masami Hirosaka

Japan

Ontario U.S.A

David Spashett

England

Newcastle England

Masami Hirosaka

Japan

Tsukuba City Japan

Masami Hirosaka

Japan

Krugersdorp Sth. Africa

Masami Hirosaka

Japan

Kissimmee FL. U.S.A.

David Spashett

England

Collegno, Italy
Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #41
Tech Lord

Masami 5, Spashet 3
Old 08-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #42
Tech Lord

Here is the full run down:

http://ifmar.org/pages/halloffame.html

Hard to even imagine Collari's record of 8 1/8th titles including 5 consecutive. That's Michael Schumacher numbers
Old 08-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
Cannot take anything from any of these drivers... But the Champs more prestigious.... you have got to be kidding me... to a vast majority of racers on this board... umm the champs are just another big race anymore.
The 12th Worlds used to be a prestigious race. But once 10th pan came on to the scene, the track layouts became more open and less 12th scale intensive. Then enter touring cars, and yeah, it became even less awesome. 12th Worlds should really only be held on Carpet, never at some giant asphalt track, as an also ran class for rubber tire TC. The Champs may be just another big race, but it still carries more clout with the majority of the 12thscale community than the Worlds, or the ROAR Nats.

Cleveland has always been, and will forever be THE 12th Scale event.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
The 12th Worlds used to be a prestigious race. But once 10th pan came on to the scene, the track layouts became more open and less 12th scale intensive. Then enter touring cars, and yeah, it became even less awesome. 12th Worlds should really only be held on Carpet, never at some giant asphalt track, as an also ran class for rubber tire TC. The Champs may be just another big race, but it still carries more clout with the majority of the 12thscale community than the Worlds, or the ROAR Nats.

I don't think anyone with an ifmar worlds title would trade it for a winterchamps title..... I know that carpet is the trend and thats is why ifmar is starting to move the venue to carpet just like the last worlds... Manufacturers always list the total titles they have won and I don't think it's just a coincedense that they only list ifmar titles....
Old 08-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #45
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

Quote:

The Cleveland champs is attended almost entirely US drivers, with a few europeans thrown in. The worlds typically has all the best drivers from the US, europe, japan, etc.. While I will agree with you about how 12th scale is sometimes treated as an afterthought to the TC worlds, I think that the amount of international participation makes the Worlds a better indicator of who is the "greatest".
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote