Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Low cost lap timer

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Low cost lap timer

I am interested in people's opinion on low-cost lap timing systems.

At a minimum I'd like something I could set up myself for practice in parking lots that would time my personal laps.

Ideally something that coud time up to 10 cars. The AMB stuff is a bit too rich for our taste.

The I-Laps stuff is about the lowest cost thing I've seen, but since our track is typically faily wide (about 12') the high cost of the the bridge sensors adds up faily quickly. It may be there just aren't any better options.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Geek_Speed

At a minimum I'd like something I could set up myself for practice in parking lots that would time my personal laps.

Ideally something that coud time up to 10 cars. The AMB stuff is a bit too rich for our taste.

The I-Laps stuff is about the lowest cost thing I've seen, but since our track is typically faily wide (about 12') the high cost of the the bridge sensors adds up faily quickly. It may be there just aren't any better options.

Thanks.
use your cell phone
Old 08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thanks.
I-Lap would be your best bet.....what if you made the track narrow only at the spot where the lap counter ran accross? Is that something that you could do?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

I-Lap will be the least expensive for multiple cars. There is also a Robitronic one but that is twice the cost, uses the same type of system and the recievers are still near $40 each.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Spektrum Telemetry might work as well

I know that the kit comes with a sensor wire that can be used with the optional Lap Trigger. The info is then relayed to your handheld telemetry unit.

Im not sure if one Lap Trigger will work with mulitple sensor wires or not.

the only downside is that each person will have to buy their own telemetry system.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

you could have one aditional person for each car, and they count the # of laps the car runs. Example: one person counts the laps another person runs.

Of course there are a few problems with it... I can easily see bribing going on!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

some radios, have built in lap timers, but thats only good for the guy holding the radio
Old 08-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks.
Robotronic sells a system thats similar to the AMB system. check it out, its in stock at SpeedtechRC

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=675
Old 08-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Champion

Actually the Robitronic is more like the I-Lap as both use IR transponders.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigshades
you could have one aditional person for each car, and they count the # of laps the car runs. Example: one person counts the laps another person runs.

Of course there are a few problems with it... I can easily see bribing going on!
When I first attended races that the way it was done before AMB came into play. By the time I started racing AMB was now in use.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I-lap is your best bet, But it can get a bit expensive, I spend about $900 on mine but where using this in an off road track so we got quite a bit of sensor and we still need more, Check Goldenhillsraceway.com to learn more about this timing sytem. We have been testing I-lap R/C timing system for the past few weeks so far its works flawlessly.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

There is also the orion lap counting system if you can find it, however they stopped selling them once AMB came out. I called orion to see if I can buy the PC link cable and software, but they said they do not support this system anymore. If you can find one, they do work great.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

where do I get I Lap cheapest?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
I-lap is your best bet, But it can get a bit expensive, I spend about $900 on mine
looking at your last race results it looks like you have about 10 regular racers. Spreading the 900 bucks over 10 guys over one season doesn't sound expensive, but I guess "cost" is subjective.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kajman
where do I get I Lap cheapest?
http://www.rclapcounter.com

or:

email: [email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.