R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-04-2008, 04:57 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
From the info you gave, it sounds to me like a Tamiya TA-05 would be a good choice for you. They are super durable, cheap, highly upgradeable, race worthy, and fun.

This is coming from a guy who does not own one and therefore is not just being biased. (spell chk)
+2

Definately race worthy! Since you're a Tamiya fan, would highly recommend one for street bashing and racing. Look at the TA05R or the TA05R IFS.
Proudly Sponsored by Stanbridges Hobbies
Serpent S411
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:24 AM   #17

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

tc3 or tc4,mostly everyshop carries parts for them.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #18
Tech Champion

yes, I do race one so my opinion may sound biased, but honestly speaking, my car has seen 2 seasons of racing and i've hardly broken anything...

1 differential bolt and a plastic toe block! (the latter can be upgraded to an alloy one with replaceable ball cups, which I have done). You will find it to be a very solid car.

With a few upgrades (shocks, front universal driveshafts and consider a less flexable chassis for carpet racing) you will have a good club level car

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:38 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Huligan View Post
One more thing. If you order a T2'008 any time soon you get a bonus. XRAY's manufacturing plant is a little backed up and this has caused a shortage in composite diffs for the T2'008. Instead of delaying T2'008 kits, XRAY is including the aluminum upgrade diffs for free. That's a pretty good bonus. Don't believe me? Check out the sticker on the T2'008 box.
Call me cynical... but the composite diff was ment to be the next greatest thing since sliced bread, and ment to be a replacement for the alu diff... in that respect, it's a downgrade, not an upgrade. It's good marketing by Xray to turn it the other way round...
Old 08-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

TA05 !

X-Ray's pricing has increased so parts and kit will be more expensive, don't touch this car.

TC5 you should also look at has great parts availability and is inxpensive!

ARC, LRP Go Blue!!
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #21
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Go with the Losi Type--R. Its best with lipo batteries. I am just assuming you will run lipos.
You can bash it or race it and parts are simple to find.

And the Xrays are one tough kit, very durable over any kit I've seen, if durability is important. And the build is sweet. The most precise molding I've seen.
Not lipo friendly.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by move over View Post
nice sales spam
Sales spam? You don't think it's important for anyone considering a T2'008 to know that XRAY is now including the aluminum diff?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Call me cynical... but the composite diff was ment to be the next greatest thing since sliced bread, and ment to be a replacement for the alu diff... in that respect, it's a downgrade, not an upgrade. It's good marketing by Xray to turn it the other way round...
It's certainly OK to question it. I've owned XRAY aluminum diffs in several of their RC cars and I've been very happy with them. Given the high cost of the aluminum diffs wouldn't more XRAY owners be up in arms? I think the composite is nice because it's cheaper. Isn't that the advantage?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #24

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

perhaps wait and see come winter season if more folks dont pick up pan car instead of this touring crud.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #25
Tech Champion

Given the choice of a lighter plastic/composite diff or an alloy diff, i'd choose the lighter one.

Not saying my answer is the right one for everyone but i've had no reliability issues with a tamiya differential in two years, except for one where I was at speed in front of a car that was sideways.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I was in the exact same situation as you earlier in the year, and I settled on the standard TA-05. After my first race I caught the bug and all I do is race now, and the TA-05 is very durable and, when properly set up, capable of hanging with much more expensive cars. Mine's box stock except for tires and a front spool (locked diff) and I'm running top 3 in Sportsman Stock. I'm at the point where I can see that I'll want to get a pro-level car when I'm ready to bump up to expert, but the point is that you can get into a TA-05 for pretty cheap and take it pretty far.

That being said, if you really think you'll mostly use the car for car-park bashing I'd consider the new TB-03 or finding a TB-02 left around somewhere. The shaft drive may be better than the belt drive for unprepared surfaces with dirt and rocks strewn about.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #27
Tech Rookie

How about the Tamiya TB03, I understand this is really new but it sounds as though it's similar to the TA05 just shaft driven. I like the idea of it being new, I'd hate to buy something that is going to be replaced shortly.
therealj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:12 AM   #28
Tech Master

Depends on your budget, but if you are planning on running where the surface is not prepped, I'd go with something that has a closed drivetrain. The TB03 is completely closed so you won't have to worry about rocks getting chewed up in the spur. It is a new kit, and plenty of option parts are on the way.
The best bang for the buck is probably the TA05IFS-R atm. You get so much option parts for so little money and VERY race worthy too. But maybe a standard TA05 IFS might be better for bashing (you get a body and ESC too I think).
Other options would be a tub cyclone or a TC4. Both are very affordable and good cars.
The graphite cars maybe a little overboard to test the waters with, but if you get hooked on racing, you will end up with one of those. I started with a TA05, and spent enough on it that I could've bought me a 415MRE with some change. Then I got a 416. Tamiya marketing works lol.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:06 AM   #29
Tech Champion

I used to race a HPI Pro2 many years back on an unprepared car park, it was belt driven and had no problems with stones getting in the gearbox, but every car/track is different I guess.

I have no experience of the TB03 but if the TA05 is anything to go on, it will be a very durable car

Old 08-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #30
Suspended

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Huligan View Post
Sales spam? You don't think it's important for anyone considering a T2'008 to know that XRAY is now including the aluminum diff?
What I don't think is important is for you to use these threads as a sales blog to pawn your wares to people asking the most basic of questions
move over is offline   Reply With Quote