R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Turbo 35 with Lipo conversion

Are there people out there who have had the Turbo 35 updated to Lipo? If so how well is it working for you? I just had mine done but have not purchased any Lipo's yet. What pro's and con's are there?
bshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had both of mine converted to LiPo.
What do you want to know? They charge both types of cell fine.
the only con I see is the size of the GFX. Oh and you have to hook up the small sensor leads to have a accurate charge voltage... not sure if thats a con or not.
The pro side is you can adj your charging amperage and cycle your pack (at 35amps) to see how good it is/still is.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshack View Post
Are there people out there who have had the Turbo 35 updated to Lipo? If so how well is it working for you? I just had mine done but have not purchased any Lipo's yet. What pro's and con's are there?
Did Comp.Electronics supply you with any directions when you got the update?
outlandr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandr91 View Post
You can download the directions from the website.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandr91 View Post
Yes they do. When they send your charger back to you they include a new user type manual.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Tech Regular

I did get the manual, but I was just wondering how well the charger works compared to the other Lipo chargers out there on the market. Does the unit live up to the typical high standard of Competition Electronics with the Lipo software upgrade, or was it a band-aid just to try to keep the charger alive? Once I start buying Lipo's, I want only the best chargers for the job. I was kind of looking to find any problems with the Lipo upgrade or any pluses that other chargers may be lacking.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
I did get the manual, but I was just wondering how well the charger works compared to the other Lipo chargers out there on the market. Does the unit live up to the typical high standard of Competition Electronics with the Lipo software upgrade, or was it a band-aid just to try to keep the charger alive? Once I start buying Lipo's, I want only the best chargers for the job. I was kind of looking to find any problems with the Lipo upgrade or any pluses that other chargers may be lacking.
Lipos don't require a fancy charging routine, all lipo chargers look for 8.4v then slowly turn down the charge rate until finished but you don't get anymore voltage out of the pack after that. Physically warming the pack is supposed to make the packs a bit punchier, but I have not tried that.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Quote:
You might be looking too far into it then. The charger isn't a so called band aid to keep the charger alive. Before lipo it wasn't dead. The only problem with the charger has always been it's size. If you already have the GFX then you're better off sending it in for the upgrade. You can't get any other high rate lipo charger for $50 anywhere unless you steal it. For high end mod sedan racing we all run 5000 lipo packs and make run time and the charger charges it with no problems. For regular bashing people may try buying higher mah rated lipos and the GFX will charge them as well. I believe that it charges up to 12,000 mah As far as I know no one even makes a pack over 8,000 mah right now. I could be wrong though. This charger will more than satisfy your lipo needs. Lipos are not like nihms so fancy step charging or high amp repeaks are not needed.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Also this is the ONLY charger that can discharge and rate your packs at 35 amps.
This is what SMC uses to rate their packs. This feature might or might not be important to you but you cant find it in any other charger.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Its external voltage leads are probably more sensitive than anything else out there. That said, in general, this charger is probably overkill for LiPo.

There are LiPo chargers out there that are much smaller, have upgradable firmware, include an internal balancer, have a built-in power supply, and have a pedigree in charging LiPo this one lacks, all for a LOT cheaper. Unless you're looking to discharge your packs at 35A and attempt to rate them, or have this charger already, it's a bit lackluster compared to other offerings.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Its external voltage leads are probably more sensitive than anything else out there. That said, in general, this charger is probably overkill for LiPo.

There are LiPo chargers out there that are much smaller, have upgradable firmware, include an internal balancer, have a built-in power supply, and have a pedigree in charging LiPo this one lacks, all for a LOT cheaper. Unless you're looking to discharge your packs at 35A and attempt to rate them, or have this charger already, it's a bit lackluster compared to other offerings.
This kid has one already. It would actually be dumb for him to get something else, unless he has problems with the unit's size. It costs about $50 to get it upgraded if you have one. That is the way to go.

If you don't have a turbo, it definitely is a bit much to pay.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Great info, I've taken a 2 year break from R/C and am just trying to get things sorted out for a re-entry. Thanks for calling me a kid. I feel young again. I ran at my first National event in 1989. I was 13. I have 2 Turbo 35'2 and 1 GFX. I sent the 1st one in as to make sure it was worth it before I sent the rest in for the Lipo Mod. Thanks for the good replies. I'll box the rest up.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i stand corrected, old man

BTW I started in 88 at 13, too

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:23 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Quote:
Great info, I've taken a 2 year break from R/C and am just trying to get things sorted out for a re-entry. Thanks for calling me a kid. I feel young again. I ran at my first National event in 1989. I was 13. I have 2 Turbo 35'2 and 1 GFX. I sent the 1st one in as to make sure it was worth it before I sent the rest in for the Lipo Mod. Thanks for the good replies. I'll box the rest up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
i stand corrected, old man

BTW I started in 88 at 13, too
You guys are frickin' old.....

Wait......I was that age back in 89 too
Old 08-04-2008, 05:22 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Do you guys still have the original Turbochargers???