R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2003, 12:17 PM   #46

I got Hardcore Ti chassis before. When I got it, I return it at the same day. That chassis is super heavy.
Aku-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 12:23 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Good to hear that Aku-Man, one less thing on my wish list. I have a feeling my main chassis is either going to be the Waprspeed or the Xtreme, time will only tell. The other chassis I will setup for a 19 turn class.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 04:46 PM   #48

Default Re: Stiffness

That also seems to be the weakness of the IRS chassis; the lack of side brace supports. I have heard the IRS chassis is too flexible for carpet. IF the xtreme has too much flex I will find a top brace to go along with the side braces. I do not expect that to be the case though. The extreme ties the diffs together and all the holes are countersunk along with the side brace posts(those are key) so I expect that it should have a very high natural frequency.

Quote:
Originally posted by dynamic_e
What would be benifit of having a center brace stlye layout then a side brace style layout? The unique thing I noticed about the chassis is that you can remove the posts and screws from the side braces if you want more flexability and you can keep them in if you want more stiffness. That way, if you are setup on a high bite or low bite track, you can set it up to your needs.

I think the key with any aftermarket chassis is flexability in setups. I, by no means, am a serious racer, but I do hear what others want at the track

Looks good fastrack...I cant wait to hear how the chassis does for you.
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:52 PM   #49
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Fasttrack, you can't go wrong with the Warpspeed car. Very stiff, consistent, and fast.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:01 PM   #50
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Axiom5B
Fasttrack, you can't go wrong with the Warpspeed car. Very stiff, consistent, and fast.

Hehe, no doubt, in fact I scraped into the A-main last Friday with an IRS TC3. I am mostly limited by my driving and tuning skills, chassis is way down the list. I will admit I like having a bit different then the rest and any one of the 3 chassis will do the job, some slightly better then others and soon I will know for sure which will be my 19 turn deck and which will be my stock deck, the loser goes on Ebay
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 09:37 AM   #51
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Sweet

Good to hear of your success. The first batch of testers were all shipped and should be arriving soon, or should have arrived. Please email me or Bruce with any feedback or comments. I am starting work on modifying the TC3 chassis to make it meaner and hopefully will have a new base plate out after I spek to bruce and share ideas on the design.

We are working on a few other projects including pretty colors....oops, i've said too much

For all the fellas who are recieving testers/review pieces, please email me at [email protected] so I know I sent them to the right addresses and everything arrived safely.
dynamic_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:39 AM   #52
R/C Tech Founder

dynamic_e, sorry I haven't gotten back to your emails yet, this has been a busy week for me at work. I'll try to respond when I get home from work tonight.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:46 PM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Default Cool

Sounds good buddy
Old 09-03-2003, 10:05 PM   #54

Quote:
I am starting work on modifying the TC3 chassis to make it meaner and hopefully will have a new base plate out after I speak to bruce and share ideas on the design.
We are working on a few other projects including pretty colors....oops, i've said too much
Work faster. We are waiting.
Aku-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 06:39 AM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Default LOL

LOL, I am.... After I get some feedback from the demo chassis that were shipped out, we will decide what needs to be changed and whatnot... =)
Old 09-04-2003, 09:23 AM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Default Sweet

I have had some great feedback so far from one of the testers out there

1) The chassis is a 3mm deck, but the areas by the bulkheads have not been shaved down by 5mm for factory settings as per the warpspeed or the IRS, effectively lowering the main chassis by .5mm. My question is: seeing that the main chassis plate(center section) has been effectively dropped by 5mm towards the ground, how would this affect rollcenter? I am just a vendor, not the manufacturer and am learning more about chassis dynamics as we go.

2) The battery slots in the chassis as a tad oversized and aloow the batteries to be exposed by .5-1mm fromt he bottom of the chassis on the GP3300 cells. Now, I have experienced the same with my 1/12 cars and my Xray, so i'm not sure if this is the norm or not. Would this be adequite clearance for the batts or not?

I'm getting some very good feedback and keep it comming! I am forwarding the info over to the manufacturer and I am playing with a cad design to further refine this setup.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:30 AM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The IRS chassis being milled down for the diff housings keeps the cars center of gravity the same as the stock TC3 chassis. It is very important to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

The batteries being moved in closer is also a very good idea. This way you can balance the car alot easier.

I ran the IRS conversion all last year on carpet and did not have any problems with it being to flexible. The only complaint about it was the batteries need to be moved in to the center more.

It sounds as if you are headed in the right direction with this chassis conversion. Be interested to see the changes made down the road.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 11:52 AM   #58
Tech Fanatic

Default Ahhh

Ahh, I see...but there must be another reason why the milled the chassis...the way I see it(and i'm no engineer by any means) is that the 3mm chassis, as it is unmilled effectively pushes the chassis deck lower down, reducing clearance. If it was milled, it would therefore bring the chassis clearance up, correct? Therefore, being unmilled, it should theortically lower the COG of the car. Am I right?

Because the COG is lower, this would also affect rollcenter correct?

I'm still learning chassis dynamics
Old 09-05-2003, 01:24 PM   #59
Tech Elite

eric i sent you a couple emails i ve been having trouble with the laptop. hopefully you have recieved them .
by the way lowering the gear box into the chassis also aids the axles being put in the correct angles. plus it changes roll centor of car because your dropping supension pickup points lower at the shoch towers.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:57 PM   #60
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Axiom5B
this is very true. and it is very stiff, 3mm or 2.5mm doesnt matter for this car. i own the 2.5mm and well lets put this way I'm glad i one.
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote