R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-28-2003, 06:25 AM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine
Default Novak GT7 questions.

I have been running a GT7 for over a year now with no problems what so ever.. Stock, 19 turn and mod have all worked flawlessly. Im now having a problem with the hardwired switch though. It doesn't turn off at all. The switch slides back and forth without any problems. I'm thinking that it has dirty contacts inside the switch so i'll have to take it apart and clean it. Im glad its stuck on though and not off but I have an uneasy feeling about it and want it working correctly again. Anyone else have this problem?
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 08:32 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Never had that problem with my GT7's, you know you can just cutoff the switch and whenever you want to turn on your esc just twist the wires together, that or replace the whole switch harness, novak sells a switch harness for all their esc's, you can find them at tower hobbies or directly off their site. I doubt their switches can be opened-not real sure though.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 08:37 AM   #3
Tech Elite

I know I can have it on all the time by splicing the wires together. I do like the ability to turn on/off before connecting batteries just in case there is a short/overload.

Grr. and I just put in a tower order yesterday. Last night at practice is when the trouble started. Would of been simple to throw in another 7 dollar part
Old 08-28-2003, 09:52 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Update: I contacted Novak via email and they're sending me a new switch. Great customer service. I'm very happy with that! They take care of problems that the customer is having.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:15 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Yes i know their customer service kicks a** i wrote them about my one month old GT7 with the old harness and they sent me a new one, you know the new power harness setup with the pre-connected diode.....
tricklosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:37 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yes... their customer services is excellent!!! awesome....

I e-mailed them and explained to them that I bought 2 unit of first batch GT7. At first, they send me 1 unit of the power harness & schottky diode. Since I have 2 GT 7, I request another 1 of the harness... a week later, I receive 2 harness... so, I only have 2 GT7, but they gave me 3 harness... what do I do with the other one????? since Novak is nice enough to send me extra all the way to asia region, I gave the other set of harness to a guy who also have a older batch GT7....

Keep it up NOVAK!!!!!

Thanks to Jackie for taking care of us....

cheers....
Old 08-29-2003, 05:51 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Amazing enough, I took apart the switch last night and found out the slider wasn't connected to the contact part of the switch, I conected it and it works as good as new. You can take apart these little switches. In the back of the switch you will see a little metal tab that is bent over the casing. Bend this straight, untwist the wires a little and you can push the switch portion out of the case. After this, you can either replace it via unsoldering the red/black wire with another switch or you can bend the tabs back on the switch to get to the contacts. Be careful or you'll break these tabs like I did. I fixed the contacts and because the tabs were bent I glued the outside of the switch casing. You can then push it back into the outside casing (part that mounts to the ESC case) and bend the tab back. Viola, fixed switch.... I picked up a spare at my LHS just in case it was really messed up so I have an option if it ever dies again. Thought I would pass on this little how-to-repair-novak-little-switches Another good thing is that you don't have to mess with the board on the ESC which is always a plus
Old 08-29-2003, 06:04 AM   #8
Tech Elite

double post...sorry.