R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-31-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default The Novak Experience

Hello Fellow Racers,

I am not a Novak die hard. Over the years, I have tried many diffrent ESC's and motors. I have never tried a Novak motor though. I read about how great the LRP Sphere Comp TC and Novak 13.5 SS Pro Brushless combination worked. So I decided to give it a shot. I actually ordered the motor in Feburary and never got around to installing the motor untill July.

I was in for a shock. The motor heated up very quickly. In ten minutes w/o throttle the motor would reach over 220 degrees. I did a closer inspection and the motor shaft did not spin ...... period. I took the motor out of the car for a closer look, and it still did not spin.

When I called tech support the Tech, had me switch the wiring. I informed the tech, that this was not proper wiring per the instructions. He had me turn the power on to the system and the motor started to smoke. At this point I was advised it was not a warranty covered item.

To make a long story short, my item did not work from day one, and Novak was not intrested in solving my problem.

BUYER BEWARE

p.s. My retailer was instructed by Novak, that Novak must handle any defective products.

Last edited by Spoook; 08-01-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Spoook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Lame. Do a charge back on your CC. Use an AMEX when purchasing rc items. Amex extends the warranty to double what the manufactures is and will return the item for upto 90 days even if the place doesnt take the item back.
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Wow, great info. I will start using Amex for my purchases. It also taught me to never assume a product will work.

I should always test the product from day one.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to justin lessard

That happens if you dont attach the sensor wire with LRP speedo's
justin lessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin lessard View Post
That happens if you dont attach the sensor wire with LRP speedo's
I attached the sensor wire. Possible faulty sensor wire?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Sorry to hear about your experience. I can tell you that alot of people at the tracks I race at in the Northwest use that combo Including me. I have also see Novak go out of their way to help me and other racers with problems. I've had speedos and motors go up in smoke and had them replaced. I hope it gets resolved for you.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Novak motors are great. Their customer service is very good as well. Dont jusdge them just because of a one time incident with u(although if its as you say, it sucks)...

At all big events Novak motors are widely used and they are one of the best made and best performing systems in the market.

Maybe you had a bat item from the start...It happened to me once and Novak took care of that. Dont see why they wont help you out.
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to justin lessard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoook View Post
I attached the sensor wire. Possible faulty sensor wire?
its possible, It happened to a Racer here last weekend, his LRP speedo and motor instantly heated up and got very hot without any throttle input, he attached the sensor wire and everything was fine then.
justin lessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin lessard View Post
its possible, It happened to a Racer here last weekend, his LRP speedo and motor instantly heated up and got very hot without any throttle input, he attached the sensor wire and everything was fine then.
Correct..I can tell ya I was helping the racer and my hand got hot in under .3 seconds....

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

NOVAK IS AN EXCELENT COMPANY. I CANT BELIEVE YOU WOULD TRASH THEM LIKE SO. YOU PROLLY DID SOMETHING WRONG. I'M SICK OF SEEING PEOPLE TRASH HOBBY SHOPPS AND COMPANIES!!
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

D'ya think he's Novak fan? I've got a sneaking suspicion that maybe he is.

Jim
Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

Hey its ThaPhillips. Posting here too? I'm surprised Novak is not nicer about this. But they do say their brushless motors are only compatible with their proprietary speed controls, so they got you there. They are not obligated to help because of that last little catch.

Corinator (aka. Spartan117 on RCU)
Corinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

They are compatible with any "SENSORED" speedo reguardless of brand. I am currently running a 13.5 Pro with a Losi Xcelorin and have had no issues at all. It works just as well with that speedo as it did with the XBR it replaced. No, there was nothing wrong with the XBR other then it has a motor limit of 8.5 and I was considering toying with mods hotter then that when I got back into racing dirt again.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #14
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Hello Fellow Racers,

I am not a Novak die hard. Over the years, I have tried many diffrent ESC's and motors. I have never tried a Novak motor though. I read about how great the LRP Sphere Comp TC and Novak 13.5 SS Pro Brushless combination worked. So I decided to give it a shot. I actually ordered the motor in Feburary and never got around to installing the motor untill July.

I was in for a shock. The motor heated up very quickly. In ten minutes w/o throttle the motor would reach over 220 degrees. I did a closer inspection and the motor shaft did not spin ...... period. I took the motor out of the car for a closer look, and it still did not spin.

When I called tech support the Tech, had me switch the wiring. I informed the tech, that this was not proper wiring per the instructions. He had me turn the power on to the system and the motor started to smoke. At this point I was advised it was not a warranty covered item.

To make a long story short, do not buy Novak. My item did not work from day one, and Novak was not intrested in solving my problem.

If anyone else has had problems with Novak, please post your stories here.

BUYER BEWARE

p.s. My retailer was instructed by Novak, that Novak must handle any defective products.
Novak motors are protected against thermal overload when used with Novak controllers (blue sensor wire) Other controllers do not offer this motor protection. But Novak motors are compatible with all sensored controllers and we do not refuse to warranty motors used with other escs.

This entire transaction sounds very out of the ordinary from what I (personally) know about how our CS operates. PM me and I will take care of this.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Hello Fellow Racers,

To make a long story short, do not buy Novak. My item did not work from day one, and Novak was not intrested in solving my problem.

If anyone else has had problems with Novak, please post your stories here.

BUYER BEWARE

My Novak motor also smoked when I used my TC Spec ESC. It only hummed for a few seconds until it smoked. The motor worked fine with my GTB but when I installed my TC Spec I didn't fully push the sensor harness all the way into the ESC and it smoked the motor. I can't blame that on Novak especially when I used a LRP product just like you. If the sensor harness isn't fully plugged into the ESC, the ESC senses a brushed motor and that is why your motor smoked. On GTBs you have to manually programm the ESC between brushed and brushless. Lesson learned.

Novak is a great company with the best customer service in the industry!

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote