Default Any word if Orion will release a

cutoff harness for it's Lipo pack?
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:00 PM   #123
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Well, he didn't mentioned the "punch" factor aka. continuous or burst ampere rating.

Li-po 9.0 Amp the highest continuous Amp. I could I find
GP3300 30 Amp continuous - 58A momentarily.

I think the core of Li-Po would crack open if 8T motor is use, or I get "boring" 8T motor.
The latest LiPo's in an R/C car configuration are good for over 72A continuous and burts well over 100A.

A mod sedan in full race trim with a top driver can dump any 3700 or 3800 batery in 5 min. To do this they are in the 40-50A area for 5 min.

A mod sedan on carpet with foam tires is pulling over 100A coming out of a corner for a split second.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:10 PM   #124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default That's good to read Adrian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
The latest LiPo's in an R/C car configuration are good for over 72A continuous and burts well over 100A.

A mod sedan in full race trim with a top driver can dump any 3700 or 3800 batery in 5 min. To do this they are in the 40-50A area for 5 min.

A mod sedan on carpet with foam tires is pulling over 100A coming out of a corner for a split second.
because...I only do carpet with a brushless 4300 and 5800. Glad to read the cells will hold up to the abuse. I do hope that Orion will come out with something to protect them, otherwise I will go with the Scorpion packs. Orion can't exspect esc companies to have a voltage cutoff.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:24 PM   #125
Tech Legend

The Lrp Competition Sphere has the Li-Po cut-off...
suppose to be available soon....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:31 PM   #126
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight
because...I only do carpet with a brushless 4300 and 5800. Glad to read the cells will hold up to the abuse. I do hope that Orion will come out with something to protect them, otherwise I will go with the Scorpion packs. Orion can't exspect esc companies to have a voltage cutoff.
Low Voltage cut offs (LVC's) are pretty standard in aircraft speedos and they work great. They shut down power to the motor when the pack hits the preset voltage. The LRP Quantum Comp Pro 3 has this feature. All speedos will have this by late nest year.

Before that happens the guys I have talked to at Orion say you will notice a significant slowing of your car before you get below the 6.0v danger zone on a lipo pack. When you fell the slow down pull your car off the track and you will be more than safe.

The chemistry of the newer cells is also capable of being abused more. They can withstand faster charging, deeper discharging, bumps and bruises with no drama. All of this will shorten the life span of the cells if you do it regularly but the newer stuff is closer to being as fool proof as NiMh.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:24 AM   #127
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Low Voltage cut offs (LVC's) are pretty standard in aircraft speedos and they work great. They shut down power to the motor when the pack hits the preset voltage. The LRP Quantum Comp Pro 3 has this feature. All speedos will have this by late nest year.

Before that happens the guys I have talked to at Orion say you will notice a significant slowing of your car before you get below the 6.0v danger zone on a lipo pack. When you fell the slow down pull your car off the track and you will be more than safe.

The chemistry of the newer cells is also capable of being abused more. They can withstand faster charging, deeper discharging, bumps and bruises with no drama. All of this will shorten the life span of the cells if you do it regularly but the newer stuff is closer to being as fool proof as NiMh.

That's what I'm talking about and I can't wait to get my hands on a few. I would still feel better about voltage cut off. I hope Novak comes out with an upgrade program so I don't have to get a new speedo.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:08 AM   #128
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

NEVER MIND.....LOL
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:51 AM   #129
Tech Fanatic

Long read. But no one has mentioned the fma direct scorpion 2s charger and batts. Read it in an old RC car action issue Oct. They tested it out and seemed very impressed with the fast charge time and output. Even saying that it outperforms the best nimh matched packs and significant improvement with accelaration in brushed motors.
Only drawback I see is that you have to get their charger. I dont think you can use muchmore,etc chargers. Anyone have this fma set?
rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #130
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Rayman-I have been testing and using a Scorpion LiPo pack. I have been charging at 5 amps. It takes 1.5 hours to complete a charge at this rate. It can be charged up to 9 amps. 90 % of capacity is reached in 20-30 minutes, then the charger goes into a slower constant voltage charge to prevent a destructive overcharge.

The pack has very good Voltage 7.20 volts average over the entire discharge (7.25 V average after I shortened the leads, had to add new shrink wrap). It has very good punch and top speed in a stock touring car. If you delay running a charged pack the voltage is quite a bit less. .4 volts less after 15 minutes in my test, so its important to time the charge to finish at the time you want to run it for racing. I think you could race this pack when the rules allow it, but not with two packs at the club level due to the slow charging. You might need three, and several chargers as well. You can run it before it finishes the charge, but it will be at a slightly lower voltage.

I noticed that one company sells a charging "bunker" to charge this type of pack. If you use the proper type of LiPo charger like the scorpion charger you should have no trouble, but it is still reccomended that you put the pack on a non flamable surface. I use a wide mouth ceramic coffe mug that I call my "mortar tube". No incidents to report.

This pack is rated to 60A continuous ( higher peak) and is limited by the wiring according to the manufacturer. The stock wiring is a long piece of 12 gauge going out of a Deans connector.

There is no excessive comm wear. The comm looked great.

It is no problem at all quiting when the car slows as it is easy to tell. I removed the low voltage cutoff the pack came with. Way too many connections to make one run for me.

I have some more details and pictures of my pack and reshrinking on another thread on this site. Some discussions and photos are near the bottom of page one when set to 40 topics per page.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...3&page=1&pp=40

Last edited by John Stranahan; 12-21-2005 at 04:05 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:23 PM   #131
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Do they requier alot of maintnence.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:43 PM   #132
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

No maintenance really. No deep discharge is required or desired. Store for months at 1/2 charge. The Scorpion charger balances the cell automatically. Orion talks about balancing the cell, but they only show two terminals on the pack. Very slow self discharge. Orion predicts 200 cycles before performance falls off compared to 25 for NiMH. You cannot leave them in the car plugged in. This will deep discharge them and destroy the cell even with the little low voltage circuit in place. This circuit only interrupts the receivers signal to the speed control to accelerate. The speed control will still suck power whenever it is plugged to the battery in a lot of cases.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:31 PM   #133
Tech Fanatic

Thanks John. i read the other thread you had. Its a bit disappointing to find the claim of charge time 20mins to be not the case. I'm the type who doesn't like to wait. Charging 4 nimh packs for almost 3 1/hrs is a waste of my time. Thats why I wanted to find out about these fma lipo. And the big voltage drop is a major concern. Hopefully they'll fix these issues.
rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:18 PM   #134
Tech Champion

You can charge them a lot faster than 1.5 hours. You can get 90% in 15 min and the remainder in 30 min. You just need a charger capable of putting out that many amps.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #135
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball