R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-07-2003, 03:56 PM   #91
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoracer
We should embrace this new technology just as we should be embracing the Brushless technology. I honestly believe that Brushless is being "curbed" by members of the industry because of the financial effect on brushed motor and esc sales. We the drivers and retailers ought to be Lobbying for programs that push for support of brushless technology and any technology like LiPoly that would support it.
Dino, I agree with you fully. Brushless motors are used in almost every R/C electric boat racing class at NAMBA sanctioned races and whatnot, i'd love to see brushless car racing! I think the initial impact would be far too big for any company to bear, even the large companies like Reedy, Trinity, etc. So much money is spent on motors, motor parts, motor accessories, and motor maintenance gear that some companies would probably be put out of business if brushless motors were legalized for ROAR/IFMAR races.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 04:16 PM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I agree with you to a certain extent John. The question then would be......"so when would be a good time to start the transition to brushless motors??" Novak is probably suffering a small bit because they took the bull by the horns and chose to develop a system that would directly effect future sales of its own other products. Wow..ballsy. Now, if ROAR allowed for brushless AT THIS TIME....just how much of an impact would it really make on Trinity or anybody else thats not in the brushless game?? Actually very little until more brushless models were available and companies like Trinity could get contracts in place to slap their names on the end product. Problem is that Novak is the only "in regular use "system out there right now. Hacker will be coming out with a new TC system shortly and I have no idea what ever happened to the Orion system. Either way...it's doubtful you'll see a Trinity relabeled system unless they develop one themselves or find another source. So in the meantime we get to drool over a system that we can't use in any sanctioned races simply because Trinity,Peak and others are so reliant on brushed motor sales. It's doubtful any of these companies would go belly up as they have their hands in many aspects of rc. Yes it would hurt but the bottom line is " So when would be a good time to start the transition to brushless ??"
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:33 PM   #93
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I think Novak is doing the right thing. A company needs to evolve along with the marketplace if it wants to survive. They may hurt a bit in the short term as a transition takes place, but they are already establishing themselves as the top brushless motor manufacturer in the 'States, long before the technology hits the top.

Sounds like good business to me.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:18 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Agreed...I only wish their efforts in brushless were getting more support. I hope my earlier comments didn't confuse the issue. I am all for Novak and I'll do the best i can as a club president to educate our newer club members about new technologies and options.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:23 PM   #95
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoracer
What a great discussion !!!!!! Derek....you have a new fan.I enjoyed your views regarding current thoughts and the future of rc. As a staunch supporter of electric power, I'm thrilled with the prospect of another technology that furthers the electric movement.
As for the effect on matchers and motor tweakers my opinion is the same as others...get on the train or get left behind!! Yes there will be an initial financial impact but that is expected in any technology based business.
We should embrace this new technology just as we should be embracing the Brushless technology. I honestly believe that Brushless is being "curbed" by members of the industry because of the financial effect on brushed motor and esc sales. We the drivers and retailers ought to be Lobbying for programs that push for support of brushless technology and any technology like LiPoly that would support it.

I have a fan!?!? I must not be doing my job!
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:32 PM   #96
Tech Elite

Ok..in that case I hate you and you're ugly !!!! I'll still read the mag though !!!LOL
Old 09-09-2003, 04:47 AM   #97
Tech Elite

OK, *question* - Why not use camcorder batteries? You can get lithium batt's with 3000mah and 7.2v for $40US. Hell you can even get 3.6v 2400mah batt's for $35US. Can you imagine the run time with 2 of those.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sal...931997e6fb2017

Last edited by fatdoggy; 09-09-2003 at 05:33 AM.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 05:37 AM   #98
Tech Elite

Another site with lots of camcorder batt's at 7.2v, some have sick mah.

http://shopping.netledger.com/app/si...ategory.219/.f

How about 2 of these?

http://shopping.netledger.com/app/si...t.A/id.3359/.f

They have lithium chargers too.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 09-09-2003 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:48 AM   #99
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
OK, *question* - Why not use camcorder batteries? You can get lithium batt's with 3000mah and 7.2v for $40US. Hell you can even get 3.6v 2400mah batt's for $35US. Can you imagine the run time with 2 of those.

The reason why is that they cannot provide the current. DO NOT TRY and use these unless you have a fire extinguisher nearby!!!!!
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:19 AM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Li Ion

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy

Hi!! Pleae do not try this! The camcorder batteries might explode!
Back in the days when High Speed mini4wd was a big hit here, I experimented with NOKIA Cellphone batteries!! They are 3.6V 700-1000mah, flat andsuper light compared to 2 AA's!!

My mini4wd the moment I switch on,witha hand wound mini4wd motor, sounded like a dentist drill, the moment I placed it on the track!! ZZzzzzzzzzzzzoom!!! I was Happy!!! Then KABOOOOM!!!

Camcorder batteries like Cellphone batteries are not designed for HIGH amperage draw. The reason the Mah is high is for them to last long!!!

Don't do the same mistake i did!!

Peace and happy racing!!!
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:40 AM   #101
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

in an electric circuit(which is closed) the point of highest resistance will be the point where highest heat is generated.
LiPo batteries have high resistance,and it will generate too much heat.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:14 PM   #102
Tech Elite

guys as far as racing withbrushless it probly wont happen.
alot of people share my view point on this and alot of these guys are fast for a reason. having raced for a long time i have developed my black art of tuning motors by trial and error.
this makes it and advantage for me. some people dont know how to tune so they tend to complain about the guys that are fast but remember we wernt always fast. and as in real racing the guy that can build and tune the car bumper to bumper and can drive will usually be hated by the slow guys and will be be slowed down because of rules to keep him slower so the crybabys can play. instead of complaining i took the initiative and took the time to learn! knowledge is 70% of winning guys the more you learn the more you can tune and be the guy that wins.
sure its easy to bolt in a brushless motor and go fast but part of this hobby is to tinker with stuff. if you take this part out of it than the hooby will become boring,
if formula one became an electric car type of racing and they were not allowed to work on these new motors than yea the manufactures would suffer and then the engineers would lose thier jobs and the mechanics aswell people would stop going to watch. because its not fun no more! all the old school guys would probly agree all the new guys always want it easy. remember its a hobby and the wrenching and tuning is part of the hobby that a lot of people get into it because its a stress reliever and a distraction of life . if it were easyer half of the people would quit
racing and try some other hobby that would keep thier brain ocuppied.
as far as batt technology its time for longer lasting and more powerful power sources i race 12 scale as well and would love to race 20 to thirty minute A mains or any other class and make racing a reall test of endurence! anyways it may not happen!
its to hard for the masses because preparing a car for an endurance race requires to much tinkering with black arts and the slow guys would complain about it and would probly want the other adjustments taken out of the car!

just my $20.00 worth
Old 09-09-2003, 12:27 PM   #103
Tech Elite

DerekB, lem2 - Thanks for the info.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:51 AM   #104
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just a question

How would the camcorder or cellphone batteries work as a receiver pack in a nitro car??
renjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 08:15 PM   #105
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

Bumping this thread for the future of R/C!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote