Old 08-28-2003, 11:22 AM   #31
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin Ng
and what article is this??

which magazine?

thanx a bunches
man that means a new charger too ...
I think the first post in this thread tells you that it's in our latest issue of Xtreme RC Cars Magazine. It's an article on Li-Po cells. I'll probably post this on our website after this week and our deadline. But until then it's in the October Issue (96).
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:51 AM   #32
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

If these did hit the market, it is gonna cost a lot of people a lot of money, NiMH cells will be outdated, and anyone competitive would have to buy all new packs once one person bought them. It would propably put a lot of battery matchers in a slump until the technology to match those packs arrived. I think it would be cool to have a pack that lasted 20 mins with higher voltage than NiMH, and I wouldn't mind paying the extra cash for a few packs of them, I just hope it wont cost anyone else money if an abundance of racers do switch to them...
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:55 AM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
If these did hit the market, it is gonna cost a lot of people a lot of money, NiMH cells will be outdated, and anyone competitive would have to buy all new packs once one person bought them. It would propably put a lot of battery matchers in a slump until the technology to match those packs arrived. I think it would be cool to have a pack that lasted 20 mins with higher voltage than NiMH, and I wouldn't mind paying the extra cash for a few packs of them, I just hope it wont cost anyone else money if an abundance of racers do switch to them...
Actually the cells come prematched from the manufacturer. Do to the nature of the cells they cannot be unmatched. New technology always cost more in teh beginning. remember DVD players costing over $500 and now they are $50. There are some that are willing to pay extra.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:58 AM   #34
Tech Adept

How about the lift time for Li-ION batt if they are heavily used ???
Anthony Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 12:00 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

DVD players costing $500....I paid a $1000 for mine ..hahahaha!!!

But seriousely-I make a living selling Sub C batteries. I for one also hope that these packs can be matched or I too might be out of a job.

But I am not one to scoff at innovation-and I love the newest techie thing as anybody-so I cannot wait to try one some day soon. Maybe for the first time I could finish a Mod Heat without dumping!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 12:07 PM   #36
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
DVD players costing $500....I paid a $1000 for mine ..hahahaha!!!

But seriousely-I make a living selling Sub C batteries. I for one also hope that these packs can be matched or I too might be out of a job.

But I am not one to scoff at innovation-and I love the newest techie thing as anybody-so I cannot wait to try one some day soon. Maybe for the first time I could finish a Mod Heat without dumping!!
People used to make a living processing film too. Times and technlogy change and if a company cannot adapt to things it goes out of business. I'm not saying that you'll be out of matching tomorrow, but things are around the corner. I have to ask are you for brushless motors? I've heard similar complaints about brushless hurting the sales of a hobbyshop. I'm for new techology that makes the hobby better. Why is electric second fiddle to nitro? Runtime and speed. A fast electric only gets about 5 minutes of runtime. Why would somebody buy that when they can buy a nitro RTR that goes 60mph and can run forever?
Old 08-28-2003, 12:25 PM   #37
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by DerekB
Actually the cells come prematched from the manufacturer. Do to the nature of the cells they cannot be unmatched. New technology always cost more in teh beginning. remember DVD players costing over $500 and now they are $50. There are some that are willing to pay extra.
I hope that the companies that sell batteries can do something to enhance the performance of these, I dont want to see anyone go out of business because a new battery hit the market...
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 12:40 PM   #38
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
I hope that the companies that sell batteries can do something to enhance the performance of these, I dont want to see anyone go out of business because a new battery hit the market...
I'm sure the type-writer companies were hoping the same thing! That's why the theory of evolution makes so much sense, doesn't it? The only reason battery's can be matched is due to the manufacturing inconsistency. If the current cell technology had higher standards in their process we wouldn't need to match them either.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:53 PM   #39
Tech Elite

If the manufacturer's tolerances are higher, then we wouldn't need battery matchers. That may actually hurt the industry and a li-Po manufacturer can possibly monopolize the market. But then again, if a sanctioning group doesn't allow the li-po's for fear of hurting the industry, then this new battery stays with the helos.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 01:02 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Quote:
Originally posted by DerekB
Yes I do know how I tested the batteries. I wrote the article and did the test. The reason why there is no "name" on hte cells is because they aren't matched by any current RC company. They were sent to us by Hacker Brushless. I was interested in the cells after hearing they ran a XXX-4 for 25 minutes at RCX. There is no reason why you can't use the batteries right now. They are available, but be cautioned they require a constant current/constant voltage charge...a profile not on current rc car chargers. Read the article and it explains it better.

And you can bet they will be expensice, but one 8000mah pack can technically replace 2-3 3300 packs. So even if it cost $150 if you divide that by 3 they become economically more sound.
So just use the same battery for all your heats and mains without charging or does charging them half full of energy not affect the batteries life?
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 01:04 PM   #41
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by RCInfinity
If the manufacturer's tolerances are higher, then we wouldn't need battery matchers. That may actually hurt the industry and a li-Po manufacturer can possibly monopolize the market. But then again, if a sanctioning group doesn't allow the li-po's for fear of hurting the industry, then this new battery stays with the helos.

Again, I'm sure VCR, Digital cameras, Type writes, ribbon printers, beta tapes, and any other technology that is old thought the same thing. A new technology that is better should monopolize the market. Do you think we should stay with gasoline engines or look into other source of power for our real cars? because the oil industry stands to loose a boat load of money of Hydrogen cars go mainstream. That's bad logic to apply to advances in technology. Of course this is all assuming that thing change overnight (which they don't). I bet you like the idea of brushless motors? Have they monopolized the market? Better idea and product, but still not taking over the RC world. relax and let technology give us better stuff. Some people of course won't like the idea of their business getting a negative responsek, but like I said things change (thankfully or we'd still be rocking 1100mah cells).
Old 08-28-2003, 01:06 PM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by proudwinner
So just use the same battery for all your heats and mains without charging or does charging them half full of energy not affect the batteries life?
Why would using a cell cause damage? Teh only current way to affect the cells life and cpacity is to discharge the cell below a certain point. If you run the cells to 25% of life there are no ill effects (so I'm told by Hacker who's been testing them and using them in planes)
Old 08-28-2003, 01:14 PM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default business cycles

The key with any successful business is to keep your hands in multiple pots/ventures and always stay on top of the trends and technology...

Just like the VCR era, Cassette era, Typewriter era etc....they were slowly phased out, but many are still in use. The hobby has used sub-C's since the caveman days, I dont see them being completely washed in in the near future. People are still gonna use em cause there are millions of them everywhere, they are easy to use, and the technology to use them is cheap. However, with battery tech constantly increasing, like some of the crazy 3300GP cells out there, matching is slowly becomming more of a unnecessary expense then a neccessity to the average weekend warrior.

I too was getting into the matching business, but looked at the trends and slowly eased myself out of it.

Anyway....
dynamic_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 01:15 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Using a cell to cause damage? Don't understand what you are saying, what I am asking is does charging a half filled charged Li-P battery hurt it, I guess I could have said, do you need to discharge the battery before charging? If so, then to me you cannot charge or repeak a Li-P. Now, use one 8000m amper battery all day for your heats and mains-can you repeak the battery? ? I like the volts at the top of the discharge curve.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 01:17 PM   #45

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

i totally agree with what you guyz said

let technology do its thing

so lithium ion chargers can charge lithium poly batteries am i correct?
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote