Old 08-28-2003, 07:20 AM   #17
Regional Moderator

20 mins racing = brushless + foam tires
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 07:31 AM   #18
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Guys....

The airplane guys have already done this stuff.Its not convienient enough for race applications.Charge times would take forever also.For racing,I don't think this will happen anytime soon.And man it will be expensive for the type of load we will need to put out....there will be a new type of battery out before you know it.We are too small a niche in the battery manufacturers scheme of things.I love when rc car mags cant find things to write about.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 07:42 AM   #19
Tech Addict

We've already being using that for Electric Heli applications. Currently, the biggest problem with using Lipos for R/C applications are the fact that not many cells can handle the amp draw of current brushed motors. And the fact that Lipo cells are not as robust as nimhs or nicads and needs to be handled with great care.

I've been using a pack of Lipos for my brushless heli for months now and coming from 7 cell 3300 (7-9mins flight time) to a 2s4p pack (20 mins and counting), its certainly something worth investing in, but i paid something like 150US for mine...so i dun think its very practical for the R/C car scene yet.

....but imagine....7200mah pack + brushless...... pure bliss....

Jeff
Pirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 09:15 AM   #20
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Exactly...

I wish I were that articulate.I dont think the car guys are willing to reinvest in all new stuff for charging any time soon.Also lithium batteries of any type are not as robust as a nicd/nmhd cell.Cant be treated like we do our batteries right now.And now that brushless motors have been introduced,we still see thats not taking off yet with most racers.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 09:16 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default lol

Thats very true. I do not think that lipo packs will stand the abuse or current rc drivers. It needs some refinement and lower prices before they think of putting it on the shelves for the racers.
dynamic_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 09:48 AM   #22
Tech Master

Default Re: Guys....

Quote:
Originally posted by racenut123
The airplane guys have already done this stuff.Its not convienient enough for race applications.Charge times would take forever also.For racing,I don't think this will happen anytime soon.And man it will be expensive for the type of load we will need to put out....there will be a new type of battery out before you know it.We are too small a niche in the battery manufacturers scheme of things.I love when rc car mags cant find things to write about.
What do you mean nothing to write about? This isn't valuable news for us? And for the load tey can handle I think a 5-turn brushless in a supersized electric touring car is a good indication of handling a load. Hacker Brushless also uses these cells in a 36+-volt format in an airplane (I'n pretty sure that's a good load too). This article was to show that there are other battery technology out there and they hopefully will come to our niche market (although with that same uniformaed statement it seems odd that Sanyo, Panasonic, and Powers all have invested time and money developing cells for our "little" market.

The cells (like any) have their pluses and minuses. I think the long runtime will out weigh the negative of long charge times (the cells don't break the laws of physics (8000mah will tak roughly 2.5 times as long to charge at the same rate as a 3300) And for racing I guess it never occured to you that you can run 5 (five 5 minute races with one charge (the cells never really dropped in power). So let's not be narrow minded. These cells could be in our future, and honestl I hope they are.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 10:01 AM   #23
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I am actually more excited to see the batteries show up in radio transmitters and receiver packs than in electric cars. There are competition and fairness issues whenever a major car battery upgrade is made (half the people out there complain that they have to buy the stuff to be competitive because the other half already bought it), but I would love to get tons of runtime out of my M8s or my receiver packs.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:13 AM   #24

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

i know you guyz call em lithium poly batteries but what lithium ion then? same diffrence?
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 10:19 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ummm... actually if it does come out... we wont need two classes of cars anymore... JUST 1/10 touring!!! gas vs. nitro with 15min mains or whatever! Boy that be the ****!
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 10:30 AM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin Ng
i know you guyz call em lithium poly batteries but what lithium ion then? same diffrence?
Lithium Ion is so last year!

LI-POLY CELLS are the latest battery technology. They are lighter cheaper and provide more power.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by Aluma
Ummm... actually if it does come out... we wont need two classes of cars anymore... JUST 1/10 touring!!! gas vs. nitro with 15min mains or whatever! Boy that be the ****!
you mean nitro vs. electirc

but that would be killer for the electric. if i were the nitro guyz i would just go around the track and bash up the electrics then do my laps
Old 08-28-2003, 10:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally posted by DerekB
Lithium Ion is so last year!

LI-POLY CELLS are the latest battery technology. They are lighter cheaper and provide more power.
thanx

just wondering but you know how the magazine tested the batteries......
does it say what kind (brand)
if they got it working why couldnt we?
i know one thing for sure is it might be more expensive
instead of running 20min races we cant just race short ones like right now?

maybe im looking something over
Old 08-28-2003, 11:14 AM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin Ng
thanx

just wondering but you know how the magazine tested the batteries......
does it say what kind (brand)
if they got it working why couldnt we?
i know one thing for sure is it might be more expensive
instead of running 20min races we cant just race short ones like right now?

maybe im looking something over
Yes I do know how I tested the batteries. I wrote the article and did the test. The reason why there is no "name" on hte cells is because they aren't matched by any current RC company. They were sent to us by Hacker Brushless. I was interested in the cells after hearing they ran a XXX-4 for 25 minutes at RCX. There is no reason why you can't use the batteries right now. They are available, but be cautioned they require a constant current/constant voltage charge...a profile not on current rc car chargers. Read the article and it explains it better.

And you can bet they will be expensice, but one 8000mah pack can technically replace 2-3 3300 packs. So even if it cost $150 if you divide that by 3 they become economically more sound.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:16 AM   #30

and what article is this??

which magazine?

thanx a bunches
man that means a new charger too ...