R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-26-2003, 08:03 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default Power Supply forum

Here's a forum that all you guys can use to talk about your power supplys and ask questions about power supplys and all the good stuff . I'll start if off with some questions about the Novak N-Power power supply.

I'm considering buying a pulsar charger and a novak n-power power supply for the winter season so I have two chargers so I can race two classes on one night if I want to. I want to be able to operate two chargers off of the one power supply, both charging at 6 amps (I will only have one DC only charger when I first got the pulsar, but I just want to have the option of running a second DC only charger off it at the same time). The n-power is rated at 10 amps, but it says it has a dual out put, so is that 10 amps per output, or is it 10 amps combined ?? Thanks for any input!
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:35 PM   #2

I'm almost positive that it is 10 amp for both (five each). If you're getting a power supply, you can't go wrong with a Bulldog, maybe a 20 if they make it. That way you can charge two packs at 6 amps a pop. Also, the N-Power is kinda noisy as the fan stays on all the time.
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:49 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think you have seen my power supply, but it's a Integy 14 amp supply. Has served me very well and I can use 2 chargers without a hickup. You can get them for around 100 bucks. Pulsar is a killer charger too.

-Sushi Boy
Old 08-26-2003, 09:14 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

2Tenths is right, the N-Power's rated output is a total number, not an amount per terminal. If you try to run 2 chargers each at 6 amps on an N-Power, you might burn it up(or make it shut down, whichever it would do when overloaded). But you can run one charger at 6 amps & the other at 4 without any problems.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:17 PM   #5
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

It's 10 amps total. You can draw 10 amps off one terminal, or split it 6 / 4, or any combination, but it's 10 amps for the whole unit, shared between two terminals.

I've had motors drawing around 11amps, and you can litterally hear the fan on the power supply slow down due to lack of amperage. Not something I suggest doing, but it's not going to poof if you draw it's max for a second or two.

I run both a T-35Stealth & A CE PitBull off my N-Power no problem. I just cant charge & run a motor at the same time. I usually end up drawing to much, and the PitBull stops it's charge due to lack of amperage. hehe..
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:09 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

you guyz know any good power supply websites.

im looking for something around 5-10

canadian would be better because i dont wanna play deuty

no particluar companies just a good cheap reliable one. r/c brand or not both good

thanx a bunch you guyz
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:21 PM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default OLDIE BUT A GOODIE

I have a rivergate 30amp supply. Bought it 12 years ago and is still going strong. I paid around 150 for it. I dont know If they still make them but if they do its the one to get very reliable. I have seen more p/s come and p/s's go but this one is like a rock then again so am I. at least old as one

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:25 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you guys want to talk about good power supplies then have you seen the duracomm ones? They're really small and go up to a 25 amp model. www.speedworldraceway.com is the distributor.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 06:00 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine
Default Re: OLDIE BUT A GOODIE

Quote:
Originally posted by howard hudson
I have a rivergate 30amp supply. Bought it 12 years ago and is still going strong. I paid around 150 for it. I dont know If they still make them but if they do its the one to get very reliable. I have seen more p/s come and p/s's go but this one is like a rock then again so am I. at least old as one
Yes, they do still sell them. Mine is running very strong and never has given me a problem since day one. Cheapest is to buy directly from them at http://www.rivergatedist.com/products.htm
They do not take credit cards though. www.towerhobbies.com is another good place to buy rivergate power supplys...it's where I got mine.
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 06:41 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Post Power Supplies

Rivergate does not make their own power supplies. They are a distributor for different companies that maufacture them. Usually says the companies name on the face. My Rivergate was maufactured by Todd Engineering Sales Inc. Unfortunately they are out of business now. They were bought by aaps. You can purchase power supplies directly from them at a fairly good savings.

http://www.aapspower.com/iotenco.html

Hope this helps,

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 06:51 AM   #11
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to komkit Send a message via AIM to komkit Send a message via Yahoo to komkit
Default Here you go! 32AMPS

Spec

$150 at Ham Radio Outlet

I am using it and love it!
Old 08-27-2003, 06:57 AM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to komkit Send a message via AIM to komkit Send a message via Yahoo to komkit

And here is the backside (32AMPs output)

And here are the 3 power supples I have used side by side... So you can compare the size of.

Alinco 32A, Rivergate 30A and Astron 30A..

Old 08-27-2003, 10:14 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Thats a pretty nice power supply...

FOr myself, i've been getting power supplys off ebay. Just look up 12V power supply and a bunch will pop up for decent prices..
dynamic_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 10:14 PM   #14
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Im currently using a Radio Shack 13.8v 10amp Power Supply. I love it. But it does get pretty warm/hot. Is there a way I can mount a small fan on there?

BTW heres a pic:

There is a heatsink in the back but is that good enough for cooling?
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 10:35 PM   #15

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

keeping it cool is good but im sure its ok just the way it is

by the way how much was the power supply?
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote