R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-27-2003, 11:30 PM   #16
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

I got it for $42.50 off of Ebay. That price is plus shipping. With out shipping was $27.00. But that guy overcharged the shipping . He charged $15.00 even though when I got the box that it was shipped in, the label said $6.00.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 11:58 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Guys I use a Samlex SEC 1223.... 22amps continuous and 25 peak....very good, very small, reliable and has a good price tag...... about 100 bucks!! You can find it at the Ham Radio outlet..... use the link below!!!
Old 08-28-2003, 12:55 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

I have an Iota DLS-55 powersupply, it is 55amps and has 13.4v output, I picked it up brand new at the last FSEARA state race for only $150, pretty damn good price considering most power supplies with only half the output amps cost almost as much and the DLS-55 sells for $225+ online. The only downside to it is that it's huge (almost as big as my GFX ) and it weighs a ton, but I love not having to ever worry about having too much stuff hooked up to it or anything.

Last edited by Accord; 08-28-2003 at 01:00 AM.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 02:04 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im a Rivergate "fan" myself. I have had a few Bulldog 30's that have served me well for years. I used to own a small battery business years ago... one Bulldog 30 would run four TurboThirty matchers without a hitch. Matter of fact... the fan would rarely EVER come on, and it would barely go above ambient temperature during use. I used to use a temp gun to measure cell temerature during matching... i remember measuring the power supply and it rarely going over 85 degrees at full load. (6 amps per matcher X4) I still to this day use the same power supplies, but one is relegated to tire truing duties (it has an easy life...LOL)... i use another Bulldog 30 for charging purposes. For those of you with a 10 amp Novak power supply setup... you can goto your local Walmart or favorite auto supply store and get a 12 volt riding lawnmower battery for 20$. Hook your chargers to the battery... and the power supply to the battery while charging. The amperage wont fluctuate when the load from the chargers is applied... drawing the load from the 12 volt battery (which can have as much as 300 cold cranking amps for a battery of that size)... the power supply basically maintains the battery at optimum levels during use. This does work best with a 3 to 5 amp power supply, but as long as you make sure the power supply is attached ONLY while, and right before you begin charging... there should be no issue with overcharge of the lawnmower battery. There is an issue of space with this setup... which Lowes carries 12 volt Gel cell batteries that are smaller in size and similar in capacity... but at additional cost by comparison. You might as well get a stronger power supply. For those of you who are interested in using something you may already have laying around in the garage and have the pit space to spare... this can be a cheaper route.
- Dave
Old 08-28-2003, 08:52 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by rto997
Guys I use a Samlex SEC 1223.... 22amps continuous and 25 peak....very good, very small, reliable and has a good price tag...... about 100 bucks!! You can find it at the Ham Radio outlet..... use the link below!!!
Mabey it's just my computer but I don't see the link. Would you mind just posting it without the ".com" part so the computer doesn't make it a link. Just to see if my computer is wierd. Thanks
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 10:36 PM   #21
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

I can't see the link either.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:02 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Here's the power supply I've been using, it's a little big but it DOES do the job, check it out;
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:04 PM   #23
Tech Elite

forgot the picture and I cannot delete, I think I'm logged onto too many computers at work or something FUTUREAL! Well anyways here it is;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power supply.jpg (31.2 KB, 119 views)
Old 08-28-2003, 11:10 PM   #24
Tech Regular

nOw that's my kind of power supply.You have got to lemme barrow that thing for this week end proud.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:11 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Sure, you go grab a crane and we'll tote this bad boy to the track, might have to drop in it from the roof but we'll get it in there
Old 08-28-2003, 11:22 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if you are using LRP Pulsar and charging at 5amps, 6 cells.. it doesn't mean that your charger will pull 5 amps from the power supply... it w will only draw around 3 to 3.5 amps or the most 4 amps... and if you have extra things connected to the power supply such as fan, then it a different story again..
In side the charger they'll have some sort of PWM circuitry....

High Voltage-low current
Low Voltage-high current
??????????????????????

1centsonly

if u have high voltage - high current, then you'll need a truck!!!

Old 08-29-2003, 09:37 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Hey proudwinner,

I guess you don't mind if a few people tap in for some juice every now and then, huh?
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 06:16 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Sorry guys...it was posted previously by KOMKIT it is the one that says Ham Radio Outlet......
Old 08-29-2003, 11:25 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Speed Demon
[B]if you are using LRP Pulsar and charging at 5amps, 6 cells.. it doesn't mean that your charger will pull 5 amps from the power supply... it w will only draw around 3 to 3.5 amps or the most 4 amps... and if you have extra things connected to the power supply such as fan, then it a different story again..
In side the charger they'll have some sort of PWM circuitry....

If I set my charger to charge at 6 amps why wouldnt it draw 6 amps from the power supply? Are LRP chargers not charging at what you set them at?
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 10:51 AM   #30

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

what he's trying to say is it kinda speeds ups the ampage when it comes out of the power supply to your charger because of the circuit inside

i think thats what he means...
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote