Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Belt or Shaft? ? >

Belt or Shaft? ?

Belt or Shaft? ?

Old 09-03-2003, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trinityracinnut - Great , so how would you compare the two roll wise, which has more "roll effect" with a loose mid oneway, shaft or belt?

Last edited by fatdoggy; 09-03-2003 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm personally saying shaft. The car is much quicker, i have worked with both for a long time on stock rubber. My tc3 was always the quicker of the 2. The car just rolls better theru the corner with the center oneway on the shaft of the tc3.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Cool, thanks for the info.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Steevo
Hi Folks,
this is just my opinion on the Shaft versus Belt debate that has appeared so many times in this forum......

I honestly don't think that you can make a fair comparison on which is really better unless you have two cars of Identical weight, Identical suspension geommetry, Roll centres, weight distribution, tyres, etc etc with the only difference being one has shaft drive the other belt...

I mean there is little point comparing Shaft Drive Car "A" to Belt Drive Car "B" when out of the box Shaft Drive Car "A" is 100g lighter than Belt Drive Car "B" or vice versa. Or perhaps the suspension geommetry on Belt Drive Car "B" is superior to that of shaft drive car "A" so it gets around the track better.

Just my view

Steevo
Very well spoken !
Old 09-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

I agree on the weight issue! and it all depends on who is drivin it too. Right?
Old 09-11-2003, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

There are a lot more parts in contact, and in the car in general on a shaft can then a belt car, which usually means more rotational mass. So theoretically, there should be less overall drag on a belt car.

Also, most shaft cars, especially the TC3, experience what is called "torque steer". This is when the motor's torque is applied to the center shaft, actually puts centrifugal pressure on one half of the car (forget left or right), reducing the cars ability to drive strait when accelerating. Although this doesn’t seem to affect most people that much, it doesn't happen on a belt car.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

I just trim it out, no big deal.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Tech Addict

Man, what a question. Belt vs. shaft.
The first cars (Tamiya) where shaft cars, then came some one with a belt car and every body made belt cars. Now the opposite happens. It is all a mather of marketing. An other thing. People saying: "Man, six months ago I had a belt car and now I have a shaft car and it is much faster." Of course it is. Now you have better battery's, motors, faster radio's, ect... Also 4 or 5 years ago nobody ran a front one way diff becouse they didn't know or test the difference of it. Example at the 1998 touring masters (world championship) even Masami ran a front diff. Is their now one top driver not using a one way (exept some spools on small tracks)?
I bet if you give a guy like Surikarn a TA01 with some 3300 high voltage battery's, a fast motor, up to date tires, one way diff, ect. he can still finish in the B main of a big race if the car doesn't break from the power the technology now has.
If shaft cars where so much better you wouldn't see any X Ray's, Losi, Corally's, ect.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Shaft vs belt, they both make the car go forward, who cares! There are so many things to take into account. Driver, motors,batts, track, tires, temp of track, type of track, setups from car to car differ to be fast. Everything matters. I have both types of cars and like them both.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

I have both shaft and belt, the only thing hat bothers me with the belt car are pebbles... But I don't get any torque steer... Tradeoff I guess...
Old 09-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Tech Addict

Lucky for me... I don't get any pebbles OR torque steer :P
Old 09-12-2003, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Losi. No torque steer and sealed drive train. No rocks. I went through at least two spurs a month with the tc3 because of small pebbles. I'm still using the spur that came with my Losi four months later.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:09 AM
Tech Addict

My Schui has an open drivetrain.. and have yet to encounter any pebbles.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Read this!

http://www.rczone.net/modules.php?na...rticle&sid=432
Old 10-16-2003, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Read this to!

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...&kategoria=278

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.