Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TC Car Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile TC Car Opinions

I'm gathering opinions between the following 3 touring cars.

Associated TC5
Hot Bodies Cyclone TC
Xray T2 '08

I'll be racing asphalt almost exclusively.

Obviously all the cars are capable of winning. I'm looking for opinions on which car people think is the most reliable, the most "complete" and the easiest to set up to be easy to drive fast. I wouldn't classify myself as the best driver in the universe, so some of the setups that the pros use that are "on the edge", while I'm sure are blazingly fast, would only be fast for someone that's a truly great driver.

I'm looking for something that I can set up to be relatively easy to drive, but still competitive. Ease of wrenching, and reliability are good too - I don't want to spend all my time dissasembling the car and putting it back together.

By "most complete" I mean the car the doesn't need you to almost rebuild with option parts to make it competitive. (aluminum diffs, spools, roll bars, etc)

Are any of the cars more appropriate for one class over another? I'll be running 13.5/10.5 and mod classes (probably 3.5) with a brushless/lipo setup if that influences the opinions. Do opinions change for cars with either foam or rubber tires?

Lastly, parts availability is something I would factor in as well, but if there are sufficient on-line suppliers for them, or people just feel that one car's advantages might outweigh parts availability issues, that would be good to know too.

Thanks for any comments.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Cyclone is the best rubber tire car!

TC5 you can get parts very easy and is no slouch on asphalt!
Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Geek Speed,

Where are you at in the bay area? What tracks are you planning on racing in this area? All of the models you stated are competitive. I'm still relatively new but made my choice mainly based on parts support from my LHS (Marin R/C) and Jake's up in Santa Rosa. MRC carries both Associated and XRAY but has less availability for XRAY. I know Speedworld carries a lot of Cyclone/HB parts from what STLNLST posts over in the Cyclone thread.

There is a solid group behind each one of those chassis in this area as far as local drivers. Many run the Tamiya 415 and 416 as well but those were out of my price point when I purchased my TC5.

The new TC5R kit comes with everything you need for local asphault tracks with a spool included which is what you will want if you plan on running at NorCal, Marin, SWR or some of the parking lot setups like RCCAR and GPH events. I think setups are easy with it and with locals like Lex Tyler around you can get some good setup tips.

Check the Cyclone thread here for ideas on that one as I know both STLNLST and BlackedOut Revo are locals that run it and would offer some setup help I'm sure. You might want to check out rcracing.com as it's the bay area forums and I know there are some XRAY drivers that post there as well like Seans0515 (Chris Dodson) who is very helpful at the track.

Good luck in your decision and hopefully we will cross paths at the track sometime!
Old 07-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I would have to say the xray
Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

TC5- Is very durable and parts can be found in the jungles of Africa.... It's a very good asphalt car and the set up's the pro's use do work for regular people like you and myself. The car is easy to work on and make changes to. Local set up help will be very easy to get no matter which track you race at in Norcal. Prices on parts don't leave you broke either.

HB- Not as durable as the TC5 and to be honest with you parts are very hard to come by. Even with them being located here in California you still can't get parts in a timely matter. Most parts will need to be ordered over seas. Speedworld in Roseville has a decent stock of parts but they are also at the mercy of stock that HB USA has and sends out. The team set up's do work and are easy to drive but again...good luck getting all the parts to duplicate their set up's. The car is very easy to work on and make changes to. I will say that this is the best sedan that I have ever driven to date and I've had my share of them. Local set up help will be easy to get as well. Parts prices are a little more than the TC5 but no as expensive as Xray's.

Xray 008- I haven't driven this car yet so I don't know what improvements were made over the 007 which I use to run as well. I didn't like the 007 on asphalt all that much. It was killer on carpet with rubber tire's though. Back to asphalt info......The car is pricey compared to the other two cars you're looking at. I don't know if the LHS carry a good supply of parts for the car. I know that Norcal use to but when the TC5 came out they shifted more towards AE and cut back on the Xray stock. If you're in the area stick your head into one of the shops or call and see if they support the 008. Set up help for this car would only be out around Norcal or marin. No one that can be of help runs the Xray at Speedworld.

I hope this info helps you out some. Good luck
Old 07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by STLNLST
TC5- Is very durable and parts can be found in the jungles of Africa....
As I mentioned before...there are a lot of helpful locals! I agree with STLNLST - check in with your LHS of choice and whichever track you are in close proximity to and see what kind of parts support and setup help you can get. I've found most to be very approachable and helpful in this area as far as drivers and LHS staff.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Dont forget the Schumacher MI3/MI3.5 Pro.

The cars come fully equipted with everything you need for asphalt racing and they use high quality parts all over. The car has available parts from Schumacher USA in Tampa Florida, as well as SpeedTEch RC and Stormerhobbies and other on-line shops in the US. THeir support is exellent, and parts are fairly easy to get. They also carry a nice line of speedos and brushless motors, and Lipo batteries(CORE Packs), and support that as well.

The MI3 is a solid car on asphalt, and team driver set up sheets for pretty much every surface in easily accessible in their website. Support on RCTECH forum is very good as well. The car more tuning and set options that pretty much any car on the market today. high quality and very durable as well. Parts are expensive, however. But you don't need as many.

Just wait for the 3.5R Pro car- it comes with the latest parts and comes all pre built!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

I run on asphalt almost exclusively, the HB car is very fast and easy to drive but as mentioned parts are a bit hit or miss. I had a 007 but not the 008 and like STLNLST I never really cared for it. Just to throw in my two cents I still run my xray 05 I love this car for asphalt and its every bit as fast as any other car I have or have driven. Also not on your list but I recently bought a TOP scythe, not the easiest to work on but very fast, biggest drawback is that many of the parts are from the HB cars so parts, again are more of an issue.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Xray hands down. by far the best fit and finish,and easiest to work on. Its also very durable.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Mi3 is a good car but you live in Cali so parts would be very hard to come by, you can also order but nothing beats being ablde to buy parts on demand from the LHS, go wit the TC5r
Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the comments.

While TOP, Robitronic, Schumacher and I'm sure others all make fine cars (I loved my Schumacher CAT off-roader back in the day) I've tried to narrow it down based on my completely subjective opinions, a good portion of which is based around ability to get parts and help somewhat locally.

For most of the asphalt based TC racing in the bay area, is it foam or rubber tire-wise?

Are any of the chassis better suited to stock vs. mod? (ie. any particular chassis better than another at lower vs. higher speeds)

For any of the cars (TC5, T2 '08, Cyclone TC) are there "short lists" of upgrade parts that I should just build with right off the bat?

Looking through the Cyclone TC on-line manual, it lacks a setup guide similar to Xray's, or even the limited setup guide that Associated offers. Is there a setup guide for the Cyclone TC?

Thanks.

Last edited by Geek_Speed; 07-25-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geek_Speed
Thanks for all the comments.

While TOP, Robitronic, Schumacher and I'm sure others all make fine cars (I loved my Schumacher CAT off-roader back in the day) I've tried to narrow it down based on my completely subjective opinions, a good portion of which is based around ability to get parts and help somewhat locally.

For most of the asphalt based TC racing in the bay area, is it foam or rubber tire-wise?

Are any of the chassis better suited to stock vs. mod? (ie. any particular chassis better than another at lower vs. higher speeds)

For any of the cars (TC5, T2 '08, Cyclone TC) are there "short lists" of upgrade parts that I should just build with right off the bat?

Looking through the Cyclone TC on-line manual, it lacks a setup guide similar to Xray's, or even the limited setup guide that Associated offers. Is there a setup guide for the Cyclone TC?

Thanks.
For where you live it's either Norcal, Marin, Ripon, or Speedworld for asphalt. IMO the TC5 would be your best bet. It fills all of your needs along with running brushless, lipo, and 13.5/10.5/3.5 Set up manuals are good to have but when you're at the track the book can't tell you track conditions or steering for certain layouts. Only the locals running the car can do that. Asking question on here are helpful but you can't try what's suggested until the next time out on the track. There is more TC5 help in our area compared to any other car and parts are everywhere. I love my HB but I'd love to see more racer's out at the track and right now getting the TC5 is the only kit that's going to get them there and keep them there unless they actually want to try something new. Just my $0.02
Old 07-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'll throw in another vote for the TC5......just a great car, easy to work on, tough as nails, and fast. It's got everything. One other thing, because you'll likely be running LIPO, the Diggity Design LIPO brace and PPDBillet LIPO weight make installing and running a LIPO in the TC5 so-easy-a-caveman-could-do-it........Other than those two items, you won't need any "option" parts. The stock stuff is good enough for even the mod racers.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

STLNLST nailed it in my opinion. I race in this area with a TC5 and there are always guys around that have helped me with initial setup. Between them and some setup sheets from AE and this site. If you get the new TC5R kit you will get the asphault setup most of us had to buy upgrades for. It has the ITF chassis and top deck, countersunk washers to do the infamous "o-ring" trick for more rear flex, a new slipper spool option on the front diff, and aluminum outdrives on the rear diff if you do start running some mod.

I second the recommendation on the PPD Billet balast system if you are going with LiPo. If you don't plan on mounting that kit directly to the battery - the Diggity Designs LiPo brace is a nice addition that makes a good solid fit for the hard case LiPos out there. Verndog does really nice work and his site is ppdbillet.com - I highly recommend that as your first upgrade for LiPo.

Others recommend the P-Dub racing front TC5 bumper that makes this thing solid in crashes as it's a bit wider. I haven't run it though and if I do hit a board hard enough, it's either a castor block or knuckle which are relatively inexpensive (another reason I chose this kit). The P-Dub site usually is out of stock but I know the Schumacher site has them in stock.

I hope to see you at the tracks soon. I'll be racing at Marin tomorrow and probably run NorCal next Saturday. Perhaps I will see you there. Lex Tyler is usually at NorCal events as he's local there and he's very helpful on setup for this car and if I'm there I will share everything I know too!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks.

I think my initial TC racing will probably be rccar @ Cambrian. I know its asphalt racing on a parking lot, does anyone happen to know if its foam or rubber? The classes they list are:

Electric TC Stock 13.5 Lipo
Electric TC 19t 10.5 Lipo
1/12th 19t 10.5 4 cell
1/10th Open

(plus the nitro classes)

How do they classify motors that are only listed with kv ratings? (castle's motors for example?)

I assume Lipo here means 2S (7.4v), or do they allow more than that perhaps in Open?

I would imagine I could race as far south as Gilroy, and as far north perhaps as Marin.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.