R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-26-2003, 04:10 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Turbo 35 GFX - Motor Mode

I want to use my GFX to it's fullest potential, thus I would like to learn more about using the motor mode on it.

1) What settings (motor volts and time) should I use when breaking in brushes on a stock, 19t, and modified motor?

2) If I want to check the performance of a motor after each run and over the course of the motors life or after I cut a comm, what settings should I use (motor volts and time) and what information should I look for while it's running and after it's running, and what does that information mean?

3) Anything else I should know to make the most of my GFX?

Thanks
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:10 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to redsand

1.breaking in mods: 3 volts - 180secs.
2. 5 volts to check the amps draw by the motor. i dont think you need to time anything here, the only thing you should pay attention to is the motor amps.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:16 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by redsand
1.breaking in mods: 3 volts - 180secs.
2. 5 volts to check the amps draw by the motor. i dont think you need to time anything here, the only thing you should pay attention to is the motor amps.
How about for stock and 19t motor break in?

Also, when I see the amp draw, what should I be looking for? Is it better when it's higher or lower? Do I use 5 volts for all motors or what?
Old 08-26-2003, 08:54 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to redsand

well, i dont really know much about the stock motors.
my 9t motor draws 7.2 amps at 5 volts.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:30 AM   #5
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I'm just learning everything on my GFX too, gotta figure out how to get the graphs and everything, check out this link, it will help you use everything on the GFX. http://www.balakracing.com/turbo35gfx.htm
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:02 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

This is strange, my chameleon 19t motor draws 1.9 amps @ 3.0 volts, but my fast forward 19t motor draws 8.7 amps @ 3.0 volts, yet when on the track both motors perform basically the same. This doesn't make sense me! I read on Balak's website that the more amp draw the better, however that is the only information really stated about the motor mode on the GFX that was of use to me, the rest was just things like "this is how you change the setting" but it didn't explain what that setting did.

Last edited by Accord; 08-26-2003 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:08 AM   #7
Tech Master

I was told to use 3.0v for stock 27t motor and 5.0v for mod motors.

In stock, a good motor running at 3.0v should draw near 9.5amps. If it doesn't, then re-aligning brushes, shimming for play and re-zapping the motor mags should be looked at. When I break in my stock motor, I would run it for 30 seconds, check brush and comm, then run another 30 seconds, check and skim the comm, add bushing drop, comm drop and run 15 second at 3.0v. The motor should be at its peak racing condition after that. IMO.

Dan
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:10 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Default Motor Amp Draw

After breaking in a good 19T motor you should see Amp draw at around 10-13 Amps, that's at 2 V, I've gotten some of my motors to pull 11 Amps at 1 V. For stock motors your typically 2-3 Amps lower.

Arie

Last edited by aracer; 08-26-2003 at 04:58 PM.
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 12:20 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord
This is strange, my chameleon 19t motor draws 1.9 amps @ 3.0 volts, but my fast forward 19t motor draws 8.7 amps @ 3.0 volts, yet when on the track both motors perform basically the same. This doesn't make sense me! I read on Balak's website that the more amp draw the better, however that is the only information really stated about the motor mode on the GFX that was of use to me, the rest was just things like "this is how you change the setting" but it didn't explain what that setting did.
Remember, the best dyno is the track. A motor may look good on paper but it may suck when you actually run it. Just make sure the comm is round, the brushes aligned, and bushings/bearings lubed.
elnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:36 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Just because one motor shows more amp draw doesn't necessarily mean it is better, hold the end of that armature and see how the amps go, they go to the moon! Your best way of measure motor performance is with a dyno and running the motors on the track to compare. BTW, I learned that from Grizzbob, a super cool guy that is fast.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 06:01 PM   #11
Tech Adept

elnitro and proudwinner this is the best advice i have found to be true.........i HAVE learned that @ the track this pass season..
RC4SALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 07:28 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

I had a Promatch 19 turn Motor that at 2volts would pull 12amps
I had a Trinity C2 motor that at 2 volts would pull 5.5 amps.

On the Track they were about the same in performance...the Promatch motor being a little better.

Down at snowbirds I was running the C2 motor for all my quals and in the last qualifier I ran the Promatch motor and could not handle the thing because I looked at how many amps it was pulling and geared it really high..which was a bad thing because it was making me overshoot turns and made the motor run very hot. If I kept it at what I was gearing it during practice and not looked at the amp draw I probably would have stayed off the boards and out of the way of some people and made me do better in the qualifier.... I blew second place with about 3 laps to go because I was bouncing off walls and other cars. It aslo would have put me in the C main instead of being in the middle of the D main.
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:18 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

ProMtach are the best!!!!!!!Where the hell ahve you b oooops n, cool.eeeeeeeee
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:40 AM   #14
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

I just ordered a GFX, cant wait till it gets here.
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:45 PM   #15
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Amp draw depends on too many things to compare two different motors. Different style brushes, both compounds and cuts will make a difference, along with motor timing, maganet strength, bushing/bearing condition, brush alignment, and many other factors.

The main function of motor run is to break in the motor, and see when it needs a rebuilt. If it's drawing significantly higher or lower numbers than what it did after a fresh rebuilt or when it was new, then it's probably time to rebuild it again.

For break-in, I use 2v w/ fan for stock motors. Average amp draw depends on the motor ( Monster Stocks draw 10-11amps, GM3 and P2k2 around 8-9a).
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote