R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-25-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default How many batteries do you have / need?

Getting into on-road electric racing. I intend to start running a XXX-S or a TC3 at a local carpet track. I am going to get a decent charger in the $100-180 range, maybe a Superbrain 969 or a Quasar Pro so I can charge NiMH.

How many battery packs do I need? I assume I will building my own matched packs in a jig. I want to have a general idea how many "matched" race packs I need for a night of racing and how many packs I need for practice? How many times do you guys run your car each time you go to the track and how many of those times are on recharged packs from the same night? If I am willing to spend $100-200 on batteries starting from square one... what would you get?

Thanks...
saabcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 11:03 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I'd say at least 4. I have 4 and run each pack twice, once in practice and once for each of the three heats and the main.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 11:19 PM   #3
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I have 5 matched race packs, but I am gonna invest in 6 more practice packs, I like to get a lot of practice time..
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:14 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
I have 5 matched race packs, but I am gonna invest in 6 more practice packs, I like to get a lot of practice time..
I try not to bring more than 6 packs to the Track when I race..2 for practice and 4 for the qualifiers and the main...

but on practice days I can go through about 12~15packs in a Day at the track...and thats not using the same pack again.. ..

Don`t ask.... I have way to many
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:13 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Batteries

at least 4
1 pack for practice that you can charge the night before the race so when u get to the track-- youhave enough time to test ur car.
this can be any NiMh packs

then get 3 NiMh Packs for racing
the three you will use for qualifying and then you
charge them for the mains--- which should have more punch by then.

I suggest you get the Quantum Pro, LRP Pulsar, Novak Mil Pro!
Quantum Pro because it can discahrge up to 20 AMPS which you really need.

if you have extra cash then get the CE GFX!!!!! the ultimate of all

if ou will get the pulsar or mil pro you have to get a discharger!!

Remember if you will use the nimh packs again-- discharge them and letthem cool down (its good to have a small fan around) before you charge them again!

Peace and happy racing!!
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:58 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

I have 16 battery packs: 4 race packs, 4 practice packs and for 12th scale I also have 4 4-cell race packs and 4 4-cell practice packs.

As far as a charger goes, if you're on a limited budget I recommend the Competition Electronics Pitbull charger ($135), but if money is no object to you then I recommend the Competition Electronics Turbo 35 GFX ($400 and well worth it).
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 05:02 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

right now, i only have 3 packs, but i agree with lem2 that you should have a minumum of 4. i only have 1 charger and anything more than 4 will take forever to charge, not to mention that i may not have the time to cycle them regularly during off-racing season. with nimhs, most people say that they get better on their succeeding charge so having fewer batteries means that you get to use them more than once a day the ultimate setup would be six matched packs and a couple of GFX's to charge them
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 06:39 AM   #8
Tech Elite

I have 4 packs, but I could run with 3 quite easily.

It all depends on the number of races/practice runs you can make at you track, and the time between them. NiMH's can be run twice or three times a day without problems, so long as they have enough cooling time before they are recharged.

I tend to have 1 practice, 4 heats, and 1 final in the space of 2 and a half hours (racing stock, so the packs are never fully flat).
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 03:45 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

I am going to get a Quasar Pro since it has the 20 amp discharge rate and I will get at least 4 packs.

As a new racer who likely will need to develop driving skill at first more than needing the extra "punch" of a great battery what would you recommend for the packs...

I saw some low end loose matched 3300 cells for $35-37 each. Do I need the high punch voltage numbers that go for up to $59 each set? Do I even need 3300's? I think I do because frankly I won't save much by going with NiCads and I want the easier maintenance of NiMH and 3000's cost more.

So... what do you think of $150 (gulp) in 4 packs with a $180 charger (gulp)?

Thanks,

Dave
saabcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 05:11 PM   #10

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

the 3300's are great cells and last a long time, i have packs from october that are still good practice packs. If you are just starting to race id get the lower to mid range matched cells. these will be fine for u to start with. I usually have at least 4 good race packs.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:52 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to zachzachz

wait will packs ever die completely? Like after so many runs they wont charge enough for even like a 5 minute run?
zachzachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 06:16 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Default How many batteries do you have / need?

Guys;

I like to have a minimum of 3 packs per Car now that I am switching over to GP3300.

For the Rookie racer, lower end matched packs (cheaper) are probably the way to go. As you gain experience, you'll know when it's time to get better packs.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 06:30 PM   #13
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

You need 2 packs for racing and at least 2 for practice/extra qualifiers. The idea is to run the practice packs for practice, and then use the race packs for qualifying and the main. You get more power out of the GP3300s on the second run of the day, so if your track does 3 quals and a main, then you will use both race packs twice. That is the best way to utilize your packs. After about 16-20 race cycles, demote the race packs to practice packs and buy two new race packs. When you have too many practice packs, start giving the old ones to newbies or selling them to newbies cheap. This is how the hobby gets promoted and stays alive. You can do the same with your stock motors.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 07:25 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

16 packs. 8 practice. 8 race. This allows me to run 2 classes. So basically you only need 4. 3 qualifiers and the main. I rarely practice at the local track. But when I go out of town, I make sure I bring the practice packs. So out of town racing 8 batteries. Intown or local track... 4. Also, my old race batteries become my practice packs. And yada yada yada....
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 08:28 PM   #15
Tech Master

Default Just so you know

Guys, just letting you know that we're doing a special as of today until the end of September with Free Shipping. Just click on the Fukuyama Racing banner when it pops up. Thanks.

Dan
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote