Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR NATIONALS

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
If this was the case, then a permanent track should never get a national event?? how many guys made trips to jonesboro to prepare for nats? what about the locals?

on road or off road
Less than 12.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

just using that has a example, I like the idea of a hobby shop/track holding the race. if you had a way of looking up how much i spent in your shop.....
Old 07-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
just using that has a example, I like the idea of a hobby shop/track holding the race. if you had a way of looking up how much i spent in your shop.....
We have all that in Florida. We plenty of on-road tracks, with Shops, hotels, parks, clubs, whatever....we got Mickey, man

2009 ROar on-road nats should be in Florida...really good tracks, lots entertainment for the whole family as well.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Lets see a show of hands....

The 2009 Indoor Onroad Asphalt National Electric Race should be held at:
Hawaii
Florida
Buffalo
Alaska
Maine
Vermont
Idaho
Mt St. Helens
Guam
Death Valley
3 Mile Island
San Juan
Chernobyl
Area 51

Let see what the people of RCtech think!!!

Only vote once!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I vote for the Moon.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I vote PLANET Pluto... (don't let the man get you down!)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Thank you!

Actually, RMT members (Race Director, Scorekeeper, Announcer and Tech Director) are contracted and paid by a source ROAR has contracted for racing management services. They do a fantastic job and only the best of the best in a particular 'job' is brougth into the team.

And, it costs money to do this.
Ok, so they volunteer to get paid...
Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Lets see a show of hands....

The 2009 Indoor Onroad Asphalt National Electric Race should be held at:
Hawaii
Florida
Buffalo
Alaska
Maine
Vermont
Idaho
Mt St. Helens
Guam NOT IN THE USA
Death Valley
3 Mile Island
San Juan NOT IN THE USA
Chernobyl NOT IN THE USA
Area 51

Let see what the people of RCtech think!!!

Only vote once!!!
B.F.E comes to mide but NOT IN THE USA
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

I vote for a facility that has a good race track that everyone can enjoy and have fun racing on. I vote for a place where the racers will have a good location to pit and work on their race cars. I vote for a place where if, a racer needed some parts, there is a hobby shop close by to purchase said parts.

Heck there was even a miniature golf course and lots of night live close by at the Arkansas race held in June. If drinking or the night life is your thing remember Jonesboro is the wettest dry city around

But I agree when I went to races in Fl in the late 80's early 90's I didn't go very far from the track except to the hotel to get some much needed sleep and rest. So the entertainment wasn't as important to me but as has been mentioned in this thread it seems important to some of the racers. With that said, I think the majority of racers that gave Arkansas a fair shot by coming out to race at the facility found plenty of entertainment and good racing. Jonesboro is a good safe community with a lot more to do than meets the eye, just like most other places where races are held.
Now that I got that off of my chest, as far as my opinion as to how the Nats should be scheduled. I would like to leave that up the sanctioning body in charge of determining where the races should be held. That is why we join ROAR so they can provide a good racing environment for ALL racers to compete in all of the classes.

Just a thought,

JoeM
Old 07-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ya know....why doesn't ROAR just build two tracks and stop paying other tracks to host the event.

I know it would increase yearly dues by about $20 a person. But IMO I would gladly pay $20 extra a year if it ment the doors would be open for hobby I loved.

When looking at Central locations in the USA. Tulsa, OK, Dallas, TX, Kansas City, MO, St. Louis, MO, and Chicago Ill are about dead central with good airports.

Pick Two Locations. Make one the Mecca of OUTDOOR OFFROAD AND INDOOR ONROAD. Make the other the MECCA OF OUTDOOR ONROAD and INDOOR OFFROAD.

Build Two 2 million dollar falicities.

Loan $4,000,000, 9% 15years. Total yearly payments come to $36,000. Yearly Ultilities $24,000 (Could be lower if LEED), Insurance $5000, Maintence $10,000 Total yearly outlay $75,000.

Income: Each ROAR Nationals EVENT $2,500, $12,000 for 6 events. Two Hobby Shop Leases $30,000. 2000 members @$20each $50,000. Mini-Storage Profits $25,000 yearly.

The rewards! Two great tracks to call home for any National Event. Track contidions, lanes and barriers are controlled. Two LHS shops open up. The MiniStorage annex exposes public to R/C and reduces imcome risk, No worries about if the track will be close. No worries about the scoring system being shipped, lost or damaged. No worries about hosting an event in proximity to the BIRDS. ROAR becomes the Pinnicle of R/C.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

One question comes to mind after reading the post. What is ROAR supposed to do with the facility the rest of the year with all of those ongoing expenses?

JoeM
Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We already have a Mecca of indoor carpet and outdoor offroad...

Its called the Hobbyplex

Sorry couldn't resist!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by FroBoy
We already have a Mecca of indoor carpet and outdoor offroad...

Its called the Hobbyplex

Sorry couldn't resist!
Mecca-hinnie-omaha? Is that close to B.F.E.

Omaha is a nice place by the pictures. How close are the major Airports. Besides reducing the Capital RISK, what other incentives will HobbyPlex Offer to ROAR (Require ROAR membership for all events or points races?)

Dallas TX or Tulsa would make a good loaction for a Sister falcility.

Originally Posted by SmokinJoeM
One question comes to mind after reading the post. What is ROAR supposed to do with the facility the rest of the year with all of those ongoing expenses?

JoeM

The falcilities are local tracks during the rest of the year except for the 3 big Nationals they hold each. The epxenses are covered by: Leasing out space for to a LHS., Mini-Storage Units on the back 40, and a slight increase in yearly dues. Additional revenue can come from Concession Space Leasing, On-Site Advertisements, County/City Tax Breaks.

Last edited by trailranger; 07-23-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Agreed, When I was at Snowbirds in 2k6 I couldn't believe the number of wives, kids, girlfriends, etc. that were there. There's some family in attendance at the Champs, but nothing like the 'Birds. Why? Just like Kevin said, location and date. My significant other would love to go to Orlando in Feb. and take the kids to Disney while I race toy cars.

This hobby needs exposure in order to grow, plain and simple. Exposure doesn't come in rural areas, or industrial parks. Oddly, public exposure's key ingredient is the public. I wonder if ROAR has looked into hosting a national in conjunction with an event like the Detroit Auto Show? It seems logical to promote our hobby to a large group of motorheads. I just wonder what kind of logistics it would require.
But the problem is some of the people do not want "Growth" in R/C.... They just do not want change....

I'm sure that the current travel prices are not helping... BUT... you do not see much of down turn in Kart racing... and these people spend some big coin to play on the weekend...

I agree, the same weekend every year for the nationals would help. Location is very important and I know a number of people that just are not up for "parking lot" racing as this type of racing is below them. Parking lot racing can be great or bad, depending on the parking lot...

The other thing that the birds has is both on-road and oval racing... this helps also...
Old 07-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

If ROAR does not start staking terratorial claims. BRL, BIRDS, ICC, REEDY, Novak Nationals, SW Series, SW Tour, RCPRO SERIES will just keep giving racers reasons not to be a member.

ROAR owning tracks may not be the solution. From what I see, the R/C hobby is so cluttered with tracks doing their own thing, racers doing their own thing, event host doing their own thing, Points Series doing their own thing that the hobby is dying because of lack of direction. Yet at the same moment non-memmber racers and tracks are calling on ROAR to make rules and appove products.

Maybe the solution will come from ROAR becoming an umbrellla organization that only deals with racer/track insurance, product approvals and class rules. Then ROAR can partner with Point Series, Event host and tracks to bring continuity back to the hobby.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...I don't know what SPUN a lot of the other 'Stand Alone' races, or some of the other Series deals...but I do know where mine came from.

Our South-West Tour OVAL Series was spun from the old NORRCA organization.

NORRCA had a bigger presence on the West Coast for a long time for several classes of racing than ROAR had, and in the So. Cal. region we were spoiled by having NORRCA also run series events.

They did Dirt Oval, Off-Road, On-Road and Paved Oval Series...

About 12-13 years ago, NORRCA's original Owner/Founder sold the organization, after it was sold a 2nd time the owners weren't interested in doing So-Cal Series events and being an OVAL Racer I took over that market.

The other racing didn't have any types of series events for a while after that, but since there are several travelling series for NITRO OFFROAD, ELECTRIC OFFROAD in the Southern California area.

Our series is in it's 9th season, and by keeping this market alive...it's kept So.Cal. Oval Series racing alive continually since the late 80's early 90's. (Several of the racers in our series have also been involved in these series events for nearly 20 years...including myself)

On the deal about having a NATIONAL EVENT at the same track for a period of time...that was probably my post (On the other thread)

Think about it...

Cleveland - is ALWAYS in Cleveland...
SNOWBIRDS - Orlando FL (granted, not always at the same location...but same town)
IIC - VEGAS
The Reedy - I know was in the same place for a while, but has since moved...

I know there are some Off-Road races that use the SAME location every year as well - that are very successful.

You also have to remember, to have it a ROAR event...costs more in many cases than a track doing their own 'Big Event' You have another partner to split the $$$ with...and certain things have to be complied with.

You have expenses you may not have with a "non-sanctioned" event...but the flip side is...(Or at least was in the OLD DAYS) is if it's a ROAR CHAMPIONSHIP - you could amost gaurantee a good turnout of FACTORY SPONSORED / TEAM guys...which also helped bring in other racers.

Originally Posted by trailranger
why doesn't ROAR just build two tracks and stop paying other tracks to host the event.
It doesn't belong to ROAR...but you know that the President of Roar has a track don't you...? SRS in Phoenix AZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.