R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Yeah what about making each event a Hotel type race where you dont need to get a rental car or anything like that too....plus the family can come too. If you make the race a destination then attendance will be low as it is but if you make the location the destination then I would think attendance would be up like it is at some of the other races out side of ROAR On-road nationals.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #17
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I think it would be interesting to see a list of the people who actually took their family with them to IIC & Snowbirds in 07 - 08.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer View Post
What are the top RC races each year?

Snowbirds and Vegas come to mind.

Why are they the ones to go too?

Same location, same date and same people run it each year. Racers can bring their families along to because its a place they can have fun as well...
One can get cheap Airfare to these places as well.....
Gotta disagree on the reasons..

The reasons those races have high turnouts:

Fla. in Feb. And VEGAS period!

Has nothing to do with same place same time..IF that was the case then Cleveland would be selling out just like Vegas and the Birds.

But Ohio in Nov. isn't the same draw as the other two races mentioned.

Something else that would need to be looked at VERY hard if the race was to beheld at the same place multiple years...

We are in a Here today, gone tomorrow world.

WHo would be the first ppl on here crying the blues if they had "planned" to attend the nats the 2nd or 3rd year and the place closed.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

Kevin K- I attended the Portland On Road Nats in 2004. Flew in from KS and it was my first Nats. What drew me to that one was that it was located on the grounds of the Hotel. To this day it was one of the best tracks I had ever raced on and it was a parking lot surface. You could come and go, practice when you wanted to and most important did not have to worry about rental car, travel, ect. I think races like that one are very attractive to out of town racers. One less thing you have to worry about other then the racing. The self contained events are a positive I think.

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

One of the other draws of the "Outlaw" events are that they allow racers from all across the world. I know in Portland it was awesome seeing Hara running with the top Mod racers from the US.

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Yeah what about making each event a Hotel type race

Last time I checked The Stardust and the Raddison don't allow anyone to race there on a weekly basis.

So for ROAR to have a "HOTEL" type national race is completly stupid! Have that race at a TRACK/HOBBY shop that is going to be there for the racers after the race.

For the guys that keep coming up with "have it so I can bring my family" or "I did go casue it was in (whereever you didn't want to go)"

The real question is when you goto an R/C Race do you go to RACE or hang out with your wife and kids at the Local amusment park all day????

I guess if its the later, the nex thing you will be crying about is "there sould only be one qual. a day so I an go to the Zoo, get in a rd. a golf, goto the water park"and everything else you and the Family want to do at an R/C RACE! LOL

Becasue we all know what is involved in racing a national type race...get to track at 7-8am and not leave until 5-6-7pm EVERYDAY! If you really want to take your family on a vacation... DON'T PLAN THAT ALONG WITH AN R/C RACE!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

yes Quinton, ... I redid my post so it can be read as such...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
I dont think he was saying that all people who did not attend fell into that group (judgemental). Think he just ment that this may have been the case for some.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprsme View Post
So for ROAR to have a "HOTEL" type national race is completly stupid! Have that race at a TRACK/HOBBY shop that is going to be there for the racers after the race.

Make it TRACK/HOBBY SHOP/CLUB. The Portland Nats was at a hotel but organized by the local club.

The most important thing is that the event be held on the same weekend every year and be confirmed months in advance (I think a year is even OK). Part of the bidding process should be that the club/track/shop be able to and agree to hold the race on the required dates.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #24
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Gotta disagree on the reasons..

The reasons those races have high turnouts:

Fla. in Feb. And VEGAS period!

Has nothing to do with same place same time..IF that was the case then Cleveland would be selling out just like Vegas and the Birds.

But Ohio in Nov. isn't the same draw as the other two races mentioned.

Something else that would need to be looked at VERY hard if the race was to beheld at the same place multiple years...

We are in a Here today, gone tomorrow world.

WHo would be the first ppl on here crying the blues if they had "planned" to attend the nats the 2nd or 3rd year and the place closed.
FLa in July-Oct No thank you.. Bringing up Cleveland? Is that considered a major race or a regional race?
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #25
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I agree with Rick. The same dates every year is the best thing to do.

We already do this to a certain extent when bidding on a race. I look at last years date, see if it works for us and try to keep it at the same time.

Having nationals on the same date would make planning regional races easier as well. This way a regional isn't scheduled before a national on the same date. I know we plan our two big carpet races well in advance around birds, cleveland and the roar carpet nats.
FroBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Most anywhere in July...

Quote:
FLa in July-Oct No thank you.. Bringing up Cleveland? Is that considered a major race or a regional race?
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #27
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
Most anywhere in July...
Maine is cool in July.....
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:

For the guys that keep coming up with "have it so I can bring my family" or "I did go casue it was in (whereever you didn't want to go)"Becasue we all know what is involved in racing a national type race...get to track at 7-8am and not leave until 5-6-7pm EVERYDAY! If you really want to take your family on a vacation... DON'T PLAN THAT ALONG WITH AN R/C RACE!
Stupid....Awesome pure awesomeness.

Have you looked at the number of people that go to Hotel races as apposed to ROAR-hobby shop TRACK races? Yet you think it’s stupid for ROAR to have races this way. Yeah its totally stupid to try to get more people to come out to ROAR events....lets keep it like it is so less and less people continue to show up....that’s pure genius right there.

I guess you cant see the sad state our economy is in right now and people don’t have free cash to just run off to do hobbies, so they need to have a reason to give their significant other to come along so it doesn’t look like they are one blowing a thousands of dollars to race toy cars when they can work it in as a vacation of sorts and bring the family it gets easier to swallow. If you don’t think so look at the number of extra people that go to hotel races....but with your thinking you don’t want ROAR to get more entries because Hotel races are stupid. I never said anything about changing the race format or anything like that so I can go to the zoo….nice touch….all I was saying is that Hotel races get the entries and ROAR races just flat out don’t with them being at Tracks that are not attractive to the masses. Im not taking anything away from these tracks Im sure they are great tracks but they have a hard sell to get people to show up to some place in Arkansas or Nebraska or some place like that with out any real other destination besides the event…..there is a reason that the IIC and Snowbirds are huge draws…..LOCATION and DATE.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Cleveland is a NATIONAL level event. Strong Factory participation, and in years past a decent International turnout as well. Everyone's so quick to dismiss the Champs at this point, but that race still draws BIG crowds every Thanksgiving. 400+ is quite a respectable number of entries. If Mr. Bill were to limit it to 400 it'd sell out too, but given the schedule and the staff's willingness to abuse themselves, there have been well over 500 entries in the recent past. There's a reason it's THE longest consecutively running race in the country.

Same location every year, same format every year, reasonable entry fees, reasonable room rates, and great competition, What more could one ask for?

That being said, everybody I've talked to about the Carpet Nats in Nebraska said the race was AWESOME. The facility was top-notch, program was smooth, and attendance was solid. That's three positives about a recent National. I think the Asphalt Nats were just sullied by the recent explosion in travel expenses.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Stupid....Awesome pure awesomeness.

Have you looked at the number of people that go to Hotel races as apposed to ROAR-hobby shop TRACK races? Yet you think it’s stupid for ROAR to have races this way. Yeah its totally stupid to try to get more people to come out to ROAR events....lets keep it like it is so less and less people continue to show up....that’s pure genius right there.

I guess you cant see the sad state our economy is in right now and people don’t have free cash to just run off to do hobbies, so they need to have a reason to give their significant other to come along so it doesn’t look like they are one blowing a thousands of dollars to race toy cars when they can work it in as a vacation of sorts and bring the family it gets easier to swallow. If you don’t think so look at the number of extra people that go to hotel races....but with your thinking you don’t want ROAR to get more entries because Hotel races are stupid. I never said anything about changing the race format or anything like that so I can go to the zoo….nice touch….all I was saying is that Hotel races get the entries and ROAR races just flat out don’t with them being at Tracks that are not attractive to the masses. Im not taking anything away from these tracks Im sure they are great tracks but they have a hard sell to get people to show up to some place in Arkansas or Nebraska or some place like that with out any real other destination besides the event…..there is a reason that the IIC and Snowbirds are huge draws…..LOCATION and DATE.
Agreed, When I was at Snowbirds in 2k6 I couldn't believe the number of wives, kids, girlfriends, etc. that were there. There's some family in attendance at the Champs, but nothing like the 'Birds. Why? Just like Kevin said, location and date. My significant other would love to go to Orlando in Feb. and take the kids to Disney while I race toy cars.

This hobby needs exposure in order to grow, plain and simple. Exposure doesn't come in rural areas, or industrial parks. Oddly, public exposure's key ingredient is the public. I wonder if ROAR has looked into hosting a national in conjunction with an event like the Detroit Auto Show? It seems logical to promote our hobby to a large group of motorheads. I just wonder what kind of logistics it would require.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote