R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default To rebuild or to start a-new? (TA05)

This is sort of a question for any budget driver/basher.

I have just purchased a used TA-05. However, the car needs a bit more work than I had anticipated:

-A lot of the screws are halfway stripped
-The aramid belts are looking very worn
-I need new body posts since one snapped while it was in the mail (the clear blue posts... much more brittle than the normal ones)
-In the spur gear holder, the screws that hold the gear are sticking out and I think could possibly rip the belt even more than they are already. I have put spacers so the screws don't stick out as much, but then if I space it too much, the heads rub against the motor mount.
-The left servo post is missing, so the servo is wiggling.
-The hingepin spacers are missing, so my lower arms are sliding back and forth. Not the sliding I want...
-I am missing the lower parts of the TRF shocks other than what is installed, as I would like to experiment with ride height.

I am not drifting competitively, but I am still very particular with my setup, since I like to experiment and would like to eliminate all the unwanted variables as possible.

To fix these small issues I would need to get:
-Screw set OR hex screw set, a hex driver
-Servo mount
-spacers
-new belts
-are there the TRF parts for the piston holes and lower clamp?

I have been looking around for the TA-05R, but can only find it on E-Tamiya, but I have heard that they go for around 220-250 if they are still around.

I figure that I might be better off getting a completely new TA-05R, but I am not sure. RC mart has the IFS-R for 210 but that is without shipping. I have heard the IFS has parts for the upright shock position?

Also there is a possibility of snagging a TB Evo IV for $250, new of course. I don't know if I'd want to be drifting where I am with a carbon fiber lower deck though...

Has anyone been in this kind of situation before? What did you end up doing, and what do you wish you could have done?

My limitations are in fact cash, and I will be trying to start up local drift or grip races in my area. The problem is that no one really does on road in New England, and I will hopefully be going to school in Boston where there is little RC activity.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Those belts always look worn. Are you sure they are? A hex screw kit for the car isnt a bad idea even if you bought new so that shouldnt play in the decision. I actually think it would be cheaper to buy the parts you need but at the same time I think you are looking for an exuse to buy new so if thats the case let me know and I will change my recommendation to that... ha ha...
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Haha, that too.

I think it's mainly because I dunno how long the parts have been used. Bearings, shocks, etc.

I saw the 3 racing screw set, is that hex head-ed?

I think I'd rather buy the parts I need since it will take less effort to do that than sell mine, and then buy new parts. Plus, I can just buy the parts to fix this over time since I don't need to rush.

However the other side of it is that I will get the more sturdy parts in the 05R, and EVERYTHING that is right. It seems like some of the screws are just thrown in here. Do the screws that hold in the spur gear usually stick out into the other side where the pulley is?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #4

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

score a ta05R used off ebay for dirt and use your car for spares.

good luck

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

The 3 Racing Screw set is Hex headed, but from my own experience with my TA05-IFS R set I felt really let down by the quality of the screws. The hex driver doesn't fit them very well (too tight, even with a buddies driver just in case) and then there wasn't the right screws to replace all the kit ones. Oh and to boot one didn't have a hex in the head at all.

Apart from the screws the 3 Racing alum bulkheads I also purchased were gorgeous and fitted like a dream.

At the end of the day I know 3 Racing stuff is normally good and I may have just got the one duff set but I thought you should know.
Nexus30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

If you can land a tb evo 5, land one.
The evo4 is not that great of a car... (i am sure someone will argue though)... the 5 is much better.

I would say get a new car... its not worth the time and money to buy parts and figure out what exactly is wrong w/ the old one.
Spintec
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you want a good deal on screws just go to Tony's Screws. Good quality steel hex head screws. Just open the TA05 manual and tally up the type, size and quantity you will need.

I did this and for $12 have all the screws needed and enough spares to last a while or help out fellow racers at the track.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

I don't have the manual, but I found the PDF. Not having it physically is a bummer though, since I like being able to flip through pages...

Thanks for all the responses and for such a variety! I'll keep my eyes open, but I think I will try to find out the screws I need and order them from that place.

As for the hex drivers and general tools, are there any brands I should stay away from? My experience with Yeah Racing hasn't been too great, but I don't know if Yeah Racing is really actually a good company, and I just had bad luck.

I will probably stick with the TA-05 due to the extraordinary parts support. Whether I can snag a deal on ebay or not is another question, though.

Still an unanswered question: Do the screws that hold the spur gear usually stick out into the pulley area?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They contact the gear and do not require spacers, if this is what you wanted to know. Also they are lower in profile as compared to the regular screws IIRC.
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

I think the screws I have are not low profile enough. They are getting in the way of the belt, and chewing it up. The belt has significant signs of wear on the side where the screws are, and the only reason is that the screws are sticking out into the path of the belt.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
Tech Elite

If the spur gear holding screws are too long they will shred the belt in no time. In other words, no, they should not extend beyond the spur holder.

You can order those through Tamiya.

Why don't you just print the .pdf manual file?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef View Post
I think the screws I have are not low profile enough. They are getting in the way of the belt, and chewing it up. The belt has significant signs of wear on the side where the screws are, and the only reason is that the screws are sticking out into the path of the belt.
The low profile refers the the screw head which is on the spur side. The screw shaft, if too long, will be the part sticking out into the belt area. You can get away with button head 3x5mm screws.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Erm, you were right I was talking about the shaft.

I've been reading intensively for over a year on this forum, and doing lots of other exploration in chassis' and such. I can't believe I still feel like a newbie at all of this...

[edit]

I'll refer to the pdf as necessary, and print it out when I get a chance. I was just referring to the convenience of having a book.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

nothing wrong with the 'type' of chassis you have. However, if you look at the cost of really freshening up a car, vs. the cost of a new kit minus what you can sell yours for..... usually better off with a new kit.

Since we'll be seeing you at R/c Excitement soon, bring what you have and we'll see if we can get you running..... get a new belt and some short flush screws..... we'll build when you get there.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Haha alright, sounds good. I will definitely see if I can come up during this summer/during the spring/winter whenever. I'll get in contact with some regulars --Bear I am assuming you are a regular?-- and come in on a day when I'll know someone there.

The only reason I drift right now is because I can do that by myself, and hone in on skills. I wish there was a track within 15 minutes of me, but that isn't the case, nor would I be able to afford to maintain a car if I joined RC Excitement.

I might end up with a job in the area when I get out of school (minimum 5 years. Might be more) and I'll definitely see if the track is still around (hopefully).

As for my case right now, I just need to find a good deal on a chassis, then sell mine to buy the other perhaps. In the meantime, I'll tinker with this car. It isn't a wreck, but it isn't the best either.
_________

[edit]

Also, the IFS-R, does it come with the parts to build the normal uprights? I can get the IFS-R for $215 on RC mart. Are there any benefits to the IFS-R in terms of what they include? RC mart doesn't have the regular R.

Last edited by Mooshu Beef; 07-22-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Mooshu Beef is offline   Reply With Quote