R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Exclamation tweak adjusting probleme

Hi, i have a hot bodies cyclone moor speed and when i try to de tweak it it changes the ride height
example: i set the ride height 5 mm left and right , i put my car on my tweak station and i adjust the weight with the collar . When th car i fully de tweaked i look at the ride height 6mm right and 3.5 mm left
Thanks if you could help me.
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well, your doing the correct method... but that sounds like way too large a split on the collars. take the wheels off, and place the car on a flat plate. If it rocks, undo the top deck, and then hopefully it should sit flat.
If it still rocks, then take the chassis plate completely off the car, and check it's not twisted. If it is, it's new chassis plate time I'm afraid...

Once you've checked the cars built right straight, then put it on the tweak station, and get the weight balanced as best a possible first (if your running LiPo, you'll need to balast up the battery side big style). Then adjust the shock collars to de-tweak the rest of the car, if required.
When it's de-tweaked, then set your ride height, by adjusting the L & R collars equal amounts. If there's a slight difference in the height left to right, don't worry, correct tweak is way more important to a good handling car than equal l/r ride heights.

HiH
Ed
Old 07-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

You've forgotten a huge step:

Check the rebound of each shock, left to right on the front, and left to right on the rear. If the rebound is off, the shock will push the car up on the corner with higher rebound.

Take both front shocks off, remove the springs, and check the rebound. If they extend different lengths or speeds, adjust the rebound to correct, then reinstall. Do the same for the rear of the car. When complete, reset the ride height. If the shock spring collars are way off on adjustment, then you still have something else in the car binding or bent causing a corner to be out of whack, or you have a bent bulkhead or warped chassis from something mounted to it.

Once you can set your ride height and the shock sprint collars are close to each other, with 1mm or so, then check the tweak. Even after you readjust your cars tweak, it will slightly effect the eight height, unless the shock and ride height were perfect to the tweak of the car, which is rare. I would expect up to .5mm of difference in ride height after adjusting tweak, but if greater than that, go back through the car again.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Actually, what your refering to is shock length not the rebound... rebound won't make diddly squat difference to the tweak on a tweak station, as the extension of the shock is controlled by the springs, not the damping.

However, your certainly correct in saying that the Shock length needs to be equal left to right, as this will affect the tweak. The side with the longer shock will push up more.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
Tech Addict

thanks alot for your help you have solved my problem (shock longer then the other one for the front , and differente rebound for the rear)
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote