R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-24-2003, 11:26 PM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Foams thread

I know there are quite a few people out there that use foams instead of those annoying rubbers, so I figured I'd make a thread where the issues of foam tyres could be discussed like, TC, Treatments, Trueing, Patching and so on....

I run on med sized high traction asphult track in Ele stock. I've been using paragon for the past few weeks with ok results but I still didn't have good traction. I heard on here a year or so ago that sunscreen worked ok as compound and I finally got around to trying it last weekend. Well it was awsome, I used this stuff called "California Baby SPF30+" which was in a very convient little stick (pic in attachment) so applying it to the tyre wasn't messy at all. I rubbed it in well and took it out for a run, my car was glued, and after a lap or two once the excess was cleaned off it was even better. I was running TRC Plaid/Purples with a full coverage on the front and back. For the last few weeks I've been running 26mm 40shore nitro tyres and they've been very good, next week I'll try them with sunscrean and see how it goes, hopefully they hook up well. Another good thing was that I got the two 1/12th scale guys who were there to try it because couldn't seem to keep the rear end from passing the front and it kept there rear stuck to the track which resulted in a decient race for spectater as well as the drivers. Dam good stuff, I need to get some more for next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spf30.jpg (34.5 KB, 269 views)
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 01:16 AM   #2
Tech Regular

how much would a set of 4 foam mounted on rims set you back(in AU please)

thanks Matt
Matt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 01:40 AM   #3
Tech Regular

about $45
fasterdanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:29 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

I use TQ Blue on my foam tires on my 12th scale, and it works very good. I might try sun screen some time if I feel like it.
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:55 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Doggy- where did you pick that stuff up at??

You coming out this weekend?? I will finally e there....running 1/12th

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:59 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Which is for foams??

Paragon:-
FXII
Ground Effects

Thanks
fReShJiVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 10:02 AM   #7
ajg

I use paragon ground effects on my foams, good stuff!
ajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 10:12 AM   #8
ajg

When I put my traction compound on should I wipe it off after I put it on or let the stuff soak in?

Old 08-25-2003, 12:53 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Doggy- where did you pick that stuff up at??

You coming out this weekend?? I will finally e there....running 1/12th
Actually I found it on the ground outside a grocery store in Rockville, I can't remember the name of it. I just looked this stuff up on the net and it's like $12 bucks a stick(.5oz) which in opinion is a bit of a rip off considering you can buy 8oz in fluid form for $3. I'll head off to CVS and some grocery stores and see if I can get some in stick form(that's decient) for cheaper, if not I'll go back to the place where I found it on the ground and grab some more, if they still have it.... hopefully they do.

I think I'm pretty much good to go unless somthing comes up. Will you be running TC or just 1/12th? Last week was ok a few guys turned up and the racing was decient, but not really challenging because you, ted, allen, Jr, Sr and weren't there. I'm looking foward to racing this weekend.

ajg - You want to let the paragon soak into the foam for a while and then wipe off the tires well, 5 mins before the race starts.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:00 PM   #10
ajg

thanks fatdoggy

Last edited by ajg; 08-25-2003 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:17 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Permatex makes an Orange-based hand cleaner that always worked great when I ran 1/10th pan years ago... Go-Jo also makes an Orange-based hand cleaner, but I'd recommend against that one, because they add a gritty, pumice-like substance to it, which makes it slightly grainy (kinda like throwing tiny marbles under your car ). Anyway, you apply it, leave it on for about 10 minutes, then wipe off 15 min. before your heat.

The stuff worked great... even on 1/10th Oval capped tires, so it would probably work pretty good at cleaning the crap off of rubber TC tires too - rub it on, immediately wipe it off, and watch all that loose rubber, dirt, etc. come right off.
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 02:44 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Ok just checked, I found it outside a store called "Fresh Fields".
Old 08-25-2003, 03:51 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Ok did some more bench testing, fantastic all purpose cleaner add's some stick but I doubt it would last a whole 5 min run. I also tried Olay complete UV moisture lotion(in a bottle and messier) and once rubbed in and the excess was rubbed off it added alot of traction to the greens I was trying it on. I think it's actually pretty close to the california baby stuff(and it's a little cheaper and you get more of it), I'll post if I try some on the track this weekend.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:56 PM   #14

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

I use Jack the Gripper purple can and I like it alot. I put it on then just burn it off on the burnout pad. This for carpet racing not asphalt.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:09 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by ajg
I use paragon ground effects on my foams, good stuff!
Thanks Mate
fReShJiVe is offline   Reply With Quote