R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-13-2003, 11:37 PM   #91
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

IMPACT,

Look at the ROAR Carpet nats, Cleveland, NORRCA carpet nats, most of the cars that were fast at those races were TC3's or Losi's for stock. In mod there was everything. Fact: shaft drive cars do out accelerate belt cars. Whether you can use that to your advantage on the track or not is another story; shaft cars are sometimes not as smooth outta the corner. You can't go wrong with many of the kits out these days, just stay away from "rubber only" type cars such as the Evo III, 'Cuda, and possibly the SSG yok SD for foam. Nice thing about a TC3 or XXX-S is the versatility. They excell on rubber tires and foams.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 11:39 PM   #92
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by peter_robinson
get a yokomo sd
Big suprise!!!!! just kiddin pete.

-Sushi Boy
Old 09-14-2003, 01:40 PM   #93
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Doggy- so far looks like the hidious R word for next week, a few of us are heading to RCO wanna join??
Hmmm sounds good, I'll check with the higher order to see if it's cool with them. If later in the week it looks like it's not going to R on saturday, will RCO still be the intended target?

Axiom5B - And why is this? Because Losi and AE are American companies, Japanese and European companies can't afford to enter all the races in the US becuase it's just too expencive. And about the rubber only cars trust me the SD screams with foams on and I'm sure you could set the evo3 and the cuda to do just fine with foams.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:57 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy

Axiom5B - And why is this? Because Losi and AE are American companies, Japanese and European companies can't afford to enter all the races in the US becuase it's just too expencive. And about the rubber only cars trust me the SD screams with foams on and I'm sure you could set the evo3 and the cuda to do just fine with foams.
Yeah the SD black with a custom solid 3 mm upper plate works good on foam. Take the evo 3 or cuda on a high traction track w/ foams on and the chassis flex will really hold 'em back. Now if you double or triple stack upper decks it might work. I'm not trying to bash any cars here. The cuda and evo 3 are very good cars for carpet/asphalt with rubber tires. I'm trying to help someone with a decision so that they can eliminate the issue of chassis flex holding them back on the track.
USVTA Member #211

Old 09-14-2003, 08:21 PM   #95
Tech Master

HeY!!!

Brian also like brian lutz yok. special edition he said it don't do great on high traction so he's gonna try to get thicker chassis. thats why he didn't do so great 2 sundays ago in 3rd and mains. hey brian i did pretty good today i geuss it was same track though and i was almost as fast as skip.my best run was a 25 5:05.78 so yeah and fastest lap was 11.7 there wasn't much traction though. o-well i geuss
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:28 PM   #96
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy

Quote:
Originally posted by JoshR 85
HeY!!!

Brian also like brian lutz yok. special edition he said it don't do great on high traction so he's gonna try to get thicker chassis. thats why he didn't do so great 2 sundays ago in 3rd and mains. hey brian i did pretty good today i geuss it was same track though and i was almost as fast as skip.my best run was a 25 5:05.78 so yeah and fastest lap was 11.7 there wasn't much traction though. o-well i geuss
yea thats for sure. the traction was prety low but yea if u use the paragon stuff that works well but shhh you didny hear that from me cuz your not soppost to use that at trackside lol shhh. but yea my best run was 23 5:07
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:32 PM   #97
Tech Elite

OHHH Preston...bad boy. We need to work on that car sir. You're 2 laps off pace man. Don't worry i'll get you dialed for venture
USVTA Member #211

Old 09-14-2003, 08:47 PM   #98
Tech Master

HeY!!!

brian preston was hooked up the 3rd qualifier and main, but i think he just needs to try to drive cleaner. i dk mayb not but i think thats the main thing. hey brian u comin up this sun.???
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 10:40 PM   #99
Tech Elite

So... Before I slop some SPF30 or whatever on my foams, this really works??? I run on carpet, and I have a set of screw around at home tires also, so on asphault too...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 11:37 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Axiom5B
Yeah the SD black with a custom solid 3 mm upper plate works good on foam. Take the evo 3 or cuda on a high traction track w/ foams on and the chassis flex will really hold 'em back. Now if you double or triple stack upper decks it might work. I'm not trying to bash any cars here. The cuda and evo 3 are very good cars for carpet/asphalt with rubber tires. I'm trying to help someone with a decision so that they can eliminate the issue of chassis flex holding them back on the track.
very true! i happen to run the black version (not a fan of silver ) and two top decks. car works great on foam and i am as fast as the x-ray, schumacher, associated, etc team guys at my track.

i totally agree about the flex in the tamiya. having run as part of tamiya's TRF for a short time, i competed at this years carpet nats in MN. at that time the car was really new (no surikan edition yet) and we were having problems with the car flex (not to mention that none of us had run the car on foams )

the new car is getting stiffer, yet it is still not there like the XXX-S and the TC3

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 06:54 AM   #101
Tech Master

Well down under here in Australia we run only foam tires. Mainly because of the cost and it's heaps more fun. the best car, well the most dominating car is the Xray evo2. You can always bet half the field is made up of xrays. Not saying that the TC3 is bad as I run one and think these two would be the best as well as the Losi. the cars do get alot of slop when they get older but hey new cars are always faster.

The Tamiya and SD seem to suffer here from flex.

We had a large race last weekend and the grid was 1st xray me with AE then Losi then a heap of xrays made up the rest of the field. Seems like the xrays are very easy to drive on foams and always look stable.

Coxy.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:00 PM   #102
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy
Unhappy

McGreevy i dont think im gonna be able to make it on saturday cuz my mom is being gay and wount take me and my dads out of town so maybe the week after that or something k.
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:02 AM   #103
Tech Elite

IMPACTPLAYR - Alright I'm good to go for RCO. Should be awsome, just hope RCO (and the roads up to PA) don't get flooding.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 11:33 PM   #104
Tech Fanatic

I've had many people tell me that if you chunk your foams that the tires are no good anymore. Is this true? Because I've started a race with only one or 2 chunks on the whole set and when I ended the race the car had lost some more chunks if the race was a "bumpy one", but the car didn't handle any worse at the end of the race as it did at the beginning. Does having some chunks on your tires cause your car to handle worse or just make your car slower? Mabey I'm just not experianced enough with foams to notice a difference. Anyway, foams are still a ton of fun even if they do make your motor work harder and if the dont last as long and if you break harder .
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:49 AM   #105
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Default foam tires

Can you run nitro foams on carpet? If you can, what shore for front and rear is working.
gonzo416 is offline   Reply With Quote