R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-30-2003, 08:34 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I would cut your foams done to a little bigger than what you want for racing. I usually run them in practice a few times, give it a light cut to make sure they are the same size and not coned. Run one more time to scuff in and save for racing. I usually wipe off my tires before setting my car on the track with a rag and also clean them between runs. I don't like to do burn-outs by holding the car and giving it throttle to get off the compond. I feel you are adding unwanted stress on your diffs, batteries, and motors.The taller or more foam on the tire, the more side bite you get. Also have to check ride height and droop every run. For 1mm of tire wear, you need to add .5mm of ride height and droop.

With foam tires, you should get longer life out of the carpet as rubber tires are a lot harder on the it.

TLR, Fantom, Horizon, Spektrum, Trackside
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 11:52 PM   #47
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Another good compound is wd40, will post when I get some track time, dam rain....
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 04:54 AM   #48
Tech Regular

we run foams over here in australia on asphalt. I run UFRA 35sh allround, and always struggle with corner speed. This may be due to soft springs.. (xray whites). So i am going to try them and see how things go :-)

I have never tried traction compound of any description. what do you guys think about its use on asphalt?

Rob STorey
Carbon_Fibre3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:17 AM   #49
Tech Elite

I run foams on asphult, you need hard springs or else the excess grip will cause body roll and your car to bog down in the corners. If you stiffen the suspension up and find you don't have enough grip then try some traction compound. Tc(traction compound) lets you stiffen the suspension which gets you through a corner quicker without you loosing grip.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:27 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

AHHH... sorry Fatdoggy, but When you stiffen your suspension on asphalt you force the tires to create all of the traction, which wears them out prematurely. Ultimately you want to have a set-up that works in harmony with your tires so neither component is creating all of teh traction......

Carbon_Fibre3- What is ambient temperature where you race?? and how much of the sunlight sees the trac surface on raceday??? First I see 2 flaws in your tire choice......

1. when your car "bogs" down in the turns it is usually due to too soft of a front tire, you want the front to be about 5-7 shore stiffer than the rear.

2. Hotter weather calls for stiffer tires all the way around. Around here in the summer the ambient Temp is usually around 85-100, with the sun beating on the asphalt track temps are usually around 10 deg. lower. We usaully use 45ish fronts and 40ish rears on electric touring cars...... if you can get hold of Jacos or TRC foams you can also go with a purple (40) rear and a plaid(40/45) front..... plaids are a purple(40) tire with a 1/4" (6mm) ring of orange(45) on the outside edge...... the stiffer edge keeps the tire from "digging in" so hard and increases corner speed while the purple main body keeps front traction everywhere else..... Speedmind also has Hybrid compounds which are like Plaids, they may be more accessible to you but I am unsure of exactly what you would want from them.......

Also for touring cars traction compound is really only meant for the first 3-6 laps until the tires come up to race temps, then it is meant to gradually wear out so that traction is equal thru the entire race...... On 1/12th scale cars traction compound is meant to create traction thru the entire race because 1/12th tires don't heat up as much due to reduced weight.....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:46 AM   #51
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I normally one run purple foams on the front and back of my Yoke SD when running asphalt. I normally never change that. I then compund the whole rear tire and the front inside 1/4. Let them site for about 20 minutes or so and wipe off. This way may car stays consistant the whole race. Only time I change this tire setup is when on carpet and then I only change the fronts to plaids. Foams don't seem to be affected as much by track temp like rubber tires are. Might change some but not like rubber tires.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:59 AM   #52
Tech Regular

IMPACTPLAYR: the temperature at our track is normally in the 18 to 28 degress celcius.

i have previously run 40sh allround.. then changed to softer coz thats wot the front runners sed they were using.

I will hunt up some jaco and trc ones specifically to try (will source through tower or sheldons or whoever??)
so i shoudl hunt up, purple rears, and plaid fronts. ok

i have changed to xray light purple springs..

i agree with ur statements also impact.. there has to come a time when the springs can be too stiff.. if there wasnt. why not use tubes..and make it flex resistant..

but i also think that there is a medium that is what ur looking for.

What dia should i true them to. the taller the tire, the more grip created correct?
Old 09-03-2003, 09:28 AM   #53
Tech Elite

I usually start at 60mm.

Old 09-03-2003, 09:31 AM   #54
Tech Regular

allrite, thanks heaps for your info, ill let u know how i go wen the new tyres arrive..

thanks heaps everyoen for ur help :-)

Rob STOrey
Old 09-03-2003, 09:50 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
AHHH... sorry Fatdoggy, but When you stiffen your suspension on asphalt you force the tires to create all of the traction, which wears them out prematurely. Ultimately you want to have a set-up that works in harmony with your tires so neither component is creating all of teh traction......
I thought the key to setup was to have it right on the edge of breaking loose, so that it's a fine balance between grip and speed but not so edgy that your uncomfortable driving the car. Depending on how stiff your setup is you can get to a point where you loose traction because your setup is too stiff. The chassis's suspension soaks up momentum and lets your car bog, with a stiffer setup and traction compound your cars suspension soaks up less momentum and lets you get through the corners faster. If being fast means looseing a little foam then it's worth it to me, but I've been running 26mm 40 shore(purple) nitro foams that have 10 runs on then and they've lost 2 mm's which is great wear. Don't get me wrong you need some suspension action to create grip, but too much can slow you down. Also to little suspension action can cause your car to chatter through the turns, which is your tyres loosing traction and jumping slightly. I run harder springs at the rear then the front, unlike most people who have the opposite, I find that if I run lighter on the rear I loose rear traction very easily.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 09-03-2003 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:22 AM   #56
Tech Elite

The way your origional post reads it almost says "put the stiffest springs you can find on the car and make the tires create the traction..... now that you clarified your meaning it is much better to understand.... IMHO you have found that happy medium for your driving style, and yet have not gone too stiff.....

Old 09-04-2003, 01:23 AM   #57
Tech Regular

allritey doggy, i agree with that.. i was given the impression that impact showed above.. so all good

ROb Storey
Old 09-04-2003, 03:23 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Sorry about that. I just ment stiffen it up 'more' then it is now, because Carbon_Fibre3 said in his original post "and always struggle with corner speed. This may be due to soft springs.. (xray whites)". Soft springs + soft foams = body roll and bogging which equals slow corner speed. Plus your also running 35 shore foams so on the most part, grip really shouldn't be a problem once there scrubed in.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 09-04-2003 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:06 AM   #59
Tech Regular

Hey can some one give me another source for these plaid tyres, i cant seem to find them at tower.. ??

Rob Storey
Old 09-04-2003, 07:38 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Tower do have plaids, they have Jaco's 24mm foams (orange/purple which is plaid) they also stock purple. What car are you running? Xray? Because I don't know what wheels will fit on your car....

www.stormerhobbies.com

They have,

TRC 26mm plaid and purple foam tyres.(come with yellow neon rims unless they have old stock with white rims)

They also stock the Jaco 24mm Plaid (orange/purple) and purple foam tyres.(come with white rims, axis I think)

I've run purples all round instead of plaids up front and there really not a 'must have' unless traction is very high.

Impact - Some of the wheels on foam tyres don't fit certain chassis hubs, do you know which fit what? i.e. do jaco rims fit losi hubs as well as standard hex hubs/trc only fit standard hex? How does it work?

Cheers.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 09-04-2003 at 08:00 AM.