R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-23-2003, 04:05 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Unhappy Krypton gearing?

Hi Guys,

Last night, guys with 8 double motors were running a final drive of around 8-8.4. I tried 9.37 on my 8x1 kr, and it only started to wind out halfway down the straight. I then tried 10.29 and it still was not geared low enough, it just took off a little earlier. I ended up using an 11x2 Yok S2 (24* timing) for my first two races geared at 8.67 and it worked pretty well. I got advised to try gear the Kr at 8.6 with 15* of timing for my last race and it was a lot worse and felt way overgeared.

Im pretty confused about it, any thoughts?

Thanks
Trevor.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

What brushes were you running? I was running hard compound brushes, went to silver, and the motor took off, huge difference in performance. I was geared about 8.7 with a 8x2
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 04:44 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I was using the standard brushes, it was the first time id ever used it, and it just seems really wierd to have to gear it with a way higher final drive than any other 8 turns. Will brushes with more silver content sort of fix this? Hard to explain, but it just didnt 'rip' like i thought it would, my old 11x2 had a lot more rip out of the corners.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:54 PM   #4
Tech Prophet

Try some high silver content brushes, they should bring the power out, mine did...
Old 08-23-2003, 05:04 PM   #5
Tech Regular

I still havent figured out that motor, Im having the exact same problem. I was geared at 11.8 FDR with small tires, and it was only starting to make power at the middle of the straight. I noticed comm wear was quite high as well. I was running 10* timing. It was an 8x2.

I will try the high-silver brushes. I also tweaked my springs for higher tension, but I doubt if that has much to do with it.
RC Paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 05:32 PM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

I dono guys i have two 10x1's and they have mad rip and are easy to gear...just gear it like an 8 turn.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 05:53 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally posted by RC Paperboy
I still havent figured out that motor, Im having the exact same problem. I was geared at 11.8 FDR with small tires, and it was only starting to make power at the middle of the straight. I noticed comm wear was quite high as well. I was running 10* timing. It was an 8x2.

I will try the high-silver brushes. I also tweaked my springs for higher tension, but I doubt if that has much to do with it.
tweaking the springs will cause high com wear if you diff's are loose might be causing motor to run too hard and even tires will cause the same problems .. be easy on throttle and make sure everything is set up to handle motor 8t,,, i used to melt every thing went to smaller spur and got everything i was looking for......fast fast fast!!!!and no problems.....goood luck.. losi xxxs
Old 08-23-2003, 05:56 PM   #8
Tech Prophet

Try gearing it at a 9.0 to start off with the silver brushes, you dont want to go too far, that motor runs HOT.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:08 PM   #9
Tech Addict

I think the Krs need a little more brush spring tension,
Reedy 767s are the brush to run in that motor, and gear it slightly lower (one or two less on the pinion). It should fly.

Once you get it right, your gonna love it.

David Root
David Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 06:52 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Thanks guys,

another point is that I am using an Lrp IPC SR speedo, so it should be punchy and not have any problems with current draw.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:17 PM   #11
Tech Master

i just got a 14x2 and i geared it at a 8 on rubber tires and i only ran it 2 times one day when i went down to prac. and i just used the brushes i got w/ it and i didn't have a problem except for the handlin it pushed a lil bit but thats prolly because i held throttle to long of to soft of springs or not high enough in shock oil or else i really loved the motor and it's really smooth and i think i might try mod foam sometime soon cuz it was fun w/ all that rip. it also depends on how big the track is and the tire size for gearing it also. If your running foam it will change and will have to start goin higher on the pinion as the tires get smaller but if it's rubber you don't really have to worry about changing it much except for when the track gets tighter or if it's more open. well i hope that helped a lil bit.
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:41 PM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Josh, you're gonna need more than a 14 for mod foam dude. See ya at the track.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 09:42 PM   #13
Tech Master

Hey brian don't worry i also got a 10x2 fantom based on a D5 so don't worry i just didn't try it out yet but i will. c-ya when ever u start racing again up here sun. season starts sun. sept. 7 just to let u know and i might start racing foam also so yeah ttyl
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 07:49 PM   #14
Tech Regular

hello, i am running (or at least i will be eventually) a Reedy Krypton 10x2 in a 12scale. my question is what sort of timing would you champs recomend. it came stanard (at zero deg) but i think that more might be better. anyways, please give me your thoughts.
Carbon_Fibre3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 07:53 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Default My $.02

I would try some low timing. 12* is the first line on the can, and go in between that and the next one which is 24 I think. They tell me low timing and tall gearing, but there is a sweet spot and you have to find it for your application. Try tweaking the springs a little more too.

David Root
David Root is offline   Reply With Quote