Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Are you considering changing from sedan to a different class/scale? /already done it? >

Are you considering changing from sedan to a different class/scale? /already done it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you considering changing from sedan to a different class/scale? /already done it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

at most, i just stuck my foot in the water of TC, but i didnt like the water anyway. So now i'm going to 1/12th.

Looks like it'll be easier on my wallet, i can crunch more bodies (thier only 15 versus 20-25), and the chassis is much simpler, good for a guy like me!

Only drawback is the 4cell batts, but i dont mind too much: i'm not spoiled that rotten from Lipo! And for club racing, i dont need to match or balance or do voodoo every run: i just run for fun!

my 2 pennies, i've tossed them in the waters of 1/12th now.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This VTA racing is awesome and is really catching on like wildfire here in Indiana....However its really not that different from standard stock foam T/C besides the trueing of tires...Im really unsure about 1/12th its fun but the batts I have been spoiled by lipo and the same goes for 1/10th pan around here everyone wants to run 4cell 13.5. Why not lipo 17.5...Who knows....I wish you the best of luck on figuring it out but I will tell you this take your T/C slap a HPI camaro body on it paint it vintage throw on some vintage 5 spoke rims grab a lipo and 21.5 and run it around your local track and you'll remember why you started runnin t/c and r/c for that matter and the racers will want to run what your running.....TRUST ME this class is sweet and the most fun I have had racing r/c yet...
Old 07-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Never really was into 1/10 scale sedan due to lack of good programs locally. Now with the Vintage Trans Am class locally I've gotten my old cars back out and am having fun. The speed is about right for most level of racers - not to fast/not too slow and about the only thing I'm breaking is bodies (due to complex molds). Plus side is the cars look like real race cars and at the parking lot race I was at yesterday there were actually spectators that hung around for more than 1 heat.

Sometimes slower is better!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

if there was a class and iff i could run lipo (half the gear half the gain in the rear) id drop sedan in a minute for the new 200mm pan class..
Old 07-28-2008, 04:01 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I love racing touring cars but after 10 years of it I went back to offroad mod buggy since last fall. Reason being was high costs and are tracks where going thru the brushless transition and constant complaining made me decide to quit and hit the offroad tracks again.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I ran TC since before the Indoor Champs had a TC class, but finally got out of it after the Champs 2 yrs ago. Just got fed up and disgusted with the out of control cost of batteries that only lasted a few weeks, and needing a new set of tires every race just for club racing, to have a chance of keeping up. Now I run two of the most fun classes there are offroad, Slash and elec. 1/8th scale buggy. No hassles, no constant motor or battery work, just fun racing.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

I started touring car, then tried everything else, I do dirt oval, offroad, and touring car, at different times, I try to support all the local tracks, I love 12th scale but it comes and goes with touring car, I do club racing and thats about it. You don't need to buy a $400 touring car to have fun, I also had a great time with a tc3. But I have a old mission, I am going to try in fall.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:36 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

no brainer. i said i'd never do it, but after last winter season....i'm sorry its all about 1/18 sedan. i suggest you folks look at it for the winter time. its too fun, cheap, and easy on equipment.

R
Old 07-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Maybe you guys all run at indoor tracks but 1/12 on anything but perfect conditions really ain't fun.....

TC all the way for me......
Old 07-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have been considering going to PAN CAR ONLY!!! It would reduce the ammount of pit gear down to just a few plano boxes. Bearings, Arms, Piviot Balls, Shocks, Springs, Screws and Nuts: Pretty much universial between all the cars.

I already own 4 1:12s and 2 1:10 oval cars. I think I should consider adding 1:10 GT's to my collection.

I'll be using NiMH untill a good LiPO/Motor combo comes out. I really don't want to mess with buying more pinions and spurs to go beyond the 3.70" rollout I sometimes run in 4-cell 13.5 Oval. So you heard it from me, I want a higher reving, lower powered motor so LiPO would be a no brainer in PANCAR.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

come out of the woods, out here we run 8 minute heats and mains for TC
Old 07-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Maybe you guys all run at indoor tracks but 1/12 on anything but perfect conditions really ain't fun.....

I see the pro's and con's with 1/12th but imho if you are indoors on carpet with a 1/12th

1) you have power, no need to carry around a 12v.
2) our great british weather won't get in the way of the racing...
3) usually plenty of grip with carpet.
4) cheaper than sedan... no need for tyre warmers and such like.
5) possibly even easier to dial in a 1/12th too.

I will probably still keep my sedan stuff, but not be so active in that class of racing
Old 07-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Fred_B
There is a pretty big group of people that have switched classes or quit racing all together. The only part of sedan racing that I know of that's actually growing in the US is rubber tire sedan.
Rubber tyres and brushless is the way forward in sedan. but imho, the high cost of the car, equipment and keeping at the sharp end, even at club level will eventually spiral out of control and push people away in some areas...
Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Francis M.

12th scale cars are actually pretty good on DECENT asphalt. If you have a parking lot track that doesn't get any attention, is ridiculously dusty, or pretty bumpy, then yeah, it's not great. But on ANY respectable track, 12th scale is a blast.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
12th scale cars are actually pretty good on DECENT asphalt. If you have a parking lot track that doesn't get any attention, is ridiculously dusty, or pretty bumpy, then yeah, it's not great. But on ANY respectable track, 12th scale is a blast.
5mm ride height.......check
chassis cover.........check
HD body................check

asphalt 1-12 works
but admit it "Your a Micro junkie !!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.