R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts View Post
All I was trying to do was point out that it's not as easy as just buying a used budget-model car and picking up a radio, which is the big mistake a lot of people make. Otherwise, while I might have been a little over the top in my comparisons they were in no way intended to be offensive ~ just trying to open his eyes to the realities of onroad (a class in which the budget, even when on a budget, is typically much higher than 2wd offroad which is likely the cheapest class to run in RC). I still feel that "TC + mod + budget runner + lack of onroad experience = lots of broken parts."

Finally, I have my way of thinking about it and you have your way ~ no problem, and no worries.
Maybe you didn't intend to be offensive with your comparisons but we don't know how the other party may percieve it. We all do have our own point of views about things. That is what makes these forums happen, no worries.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Here is my analysis on the situation I have at hand.
New tc5 or mi3.5 $350.
Tires for a season $100
bl stock motor $80
lipo so that I can be fast in 19 turn or stock. $70

Now, here is where I am coming from, & I would like some advise on what direction will be the easiest on my wallet & keep me running for a while.

used xrc $120 +$50 rebuild
used tfk05 +$50 rebuild $170
new cyclone tub + upgrades $200
new ta05 + upgrades $200
tires $100
so, that leave me with over $300 in extra money I can spend on spares. Now, which seems like the best investment to you guys? If you believe that I will save $300 in learning how to race on road during a season then I guess it would be a good way to go. However, I doubt that is the case. I believe that $100 in spares & a $200 down payment on the chasis of tomorrow is the best way to go. Please correct me if I'm wrong & let me know what the best way to go on a budget tc is.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont think modified is that expensive. Motors usually last longer (you can throw a wind instead of going up a tooth :P ). But everything else will have a slightly shorter life (tires, drive train, etc). Nothing dramatic, specially at club racing.

If the traction is low, low tech chassis (cyclone S, T2R, XXX-s, ...) might actually have an advantage. All of them have their particular pros and cons. Xray is usually stronger, but belts dont last long in modified and is one of the most expensive. Cyclone S will require some optionals to deal with mod motor properly, but its fast car. XXX-S is a pain to work on, and not particularly strong, but itīs road manners are still very good.

I would choose the best deal - with replacement parts preferably
Itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

As I stated earlier in the thread. I have XRay and they are durable but parts are pricey. TC5 is cheaper in price and parts. Entry level cars are just that, entry level. Remember the old saying, you get what you pay for. I would probably look for a used car that was owned by a sponcered racer rather than someone trying to unload a car because they need money.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote