R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Budget isnt an issue in 2wd, but, the car itself still makes a difference. If you're committed to mod, opt for one of the top cars. But if you start in stock or 13.5, a TA05 would be a great car.

There is actually less traction with 4wd touring cars than there is with 2wd because the tires are tiny in comparison. So, even though you probably race Mod in offroad, theres nothing wrong with starting with stock or 13.5 in touring car.

At first, it will feel almost impossible to drive a touring car at 10/10ths. They feel like they are floating or skating around and never feel completely stuck to the ground when you first drive them. And nothing you've done in the dirt prepares your reflexes to be able to save them before they wreck.

But if you stick with them and work on driving and set up, they are the most rewarding cars to drive. At least to me, they are.

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
Budget is not an issue in off road 2wd. You can be very very fast w/ affordable setups. I have no experience w/ on road so I am going to ask questions. However, I know how to use a radio so I believe I can pick up on the driving in a hurry.
LOL, no offense, but knowing "how to use a radio" is comparatively like saying because you passed drivers ed you're ready for Indy. You're driving is going to leave you feeling like a fat man in the 100m dash at the Olymics. Sorry, but since you've only had expereince with much slower, limited traction 2wd dirt cars you're going to find yourself way out of your element IMO. Comparing the two different platforms, and what it takes to field one versus the other and remain competitive is going to boggle you.
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I think that for the most part, if you know how to drive offroad, I mean know how to drive offroad you will be fine in onroad. Most guys that do well in offroad in our area come into onroad and do well too. In offroad it's about throttle control. In onroad it's more about precise steering. Like I said earlier if you can drive offroad you can do it in onroad. I've seen offroad comre and dominate their first time racing in onroad. Onroad guys that switch to offroad don't seem to do as well at first. I've seen this theory proven many times here in Southern California and there is alot of sponcered and top caliber/champion drivers in this area.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #19
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer View Post
I think that for the most part, if you know how to drive offroad, I mean know how to drive offroad you will be fine in onroad. Most guys that do well in offroad in our area come into onroad and do well too. In offroad it's about throttle control. In onroad it's more about precise steering. Like I said earlier if you can drive offroad you can do it in onroad. I've seen offroad comre and dominate their first time racing in onroad. Onroad guys that switch to offroad don't seem to do as well at first. I've seen this theory proven many times here in Southern California and there is alot of sponcered and top caliber/champion drivers in this area.
I've seen both sides of the coin, but primarily the exact opposite of what you propose as the steering reaction time required for onroad makes a lot of offroaders struggle.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #20
Tech Elite

if you can get a mod 2wd truck round the track, you can get a TC round. simple as that. 2wd's are hard to drive. period.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #21
Tech Master

I'm sure you'll be fine because you'll have good throttle control coming from 2wd off road, but, things will seem to happen more quickly in on road. Thats basically all I'm trying to say.

I ran 2wd off road before I tried on road. I was ready to quit touring car after my first winter, but, I stuck with it and now I like it even better than the dirt.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #22
Tech Master

Damn. Double post.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts View Post
I've seen both sides of the coin, but primarily the exact opposite of what you propose as the steering reaction time required for onroad makes a lot of offroaders struggle.
Oppisite of what I propose? It's a fact! Well, tell Steve Weiss (of Novak Electronics, JBRL 2006 TC Champion) and Ryan Cavaleri (2007 RROC Mod Chanpion) they are suppose to suck in onroad because they were primarily offroaders! There are many racers that do well in onroad when they switch over from offroad. That is all I am stating. I state this because guys are trying to make the thread starter (partty wagon) feel as if he will crash and burn just by trying onroad. We are suppose to make new comers to onroad feel welcomed! That is all.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
I'm wondering about what my choices are for a cheap tc that will make a good mod parking lot racer.
Go with a Team Xray T2R same platform as the winning t2 007 with less graphite

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=XRA300101

Yopu may have a hard time finding one but if you do it is a great budget car based on a winning car
CREWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Quote:
I state this because guys are trying to make the thread starter (partty wagon) feel as if he will crash and burn just by trying onroad. We are suppose to make new comers to onroad feel welcomed! That is all.
Agreed, do not underestimate the skills of a 2WD offroad driver...

party_wagon: since you are requesting a cheap tourer and will use a mamba 7700 you could have trouble with the stock cyclone S and the TA05 (from what I've read you have to upgrade the pulleys in the S and make some mods to the TA05 or get the TA05-R instead.
Another "cheap" alternative that may be worth considering is getting an hpi sprint2. That one would be really easy on the budget plus it has metal gears in the differentials so it will handle the power of the 7700 (this is actually a rarity among electric tc's). with the money you'll save you could get some hopups that will help the car to improve in the handling department, some say that with proper setup it will handle almost as good as the cyclone s.
I got one about 2 months ago and I'm coming from an offroad background too, I'm very happy with the car but your happiness level could vary depending on what the other guys are running at the track.
good luck with whatever you choose...
Rufus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
Oppisite of what I propose? It's a fact! Well, tell Steve Weiss (of Novak Electronics, JBRL 2006 TC Champion) and Ryan Cavaleri (2007 RROC Mod Chanpion) they are suppose to suck in onroad because they were primarily offroaders! There are many racers that do well in onroad when they switch over from offroad. That is all I am stating. I state this because guys are trying to make the thread starter (partty wagon) feel as if he will crash and burn just by trying onroad. We are suppose to make new comers to onroad feel welcomed! That is all.
Best post in this thread!
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #27
Suspended

Quote:
All I ever was trying to point out that doing it on a budget, as he proposed, was a bad idea. As far as picking it up, especially quickly (or before he runs out of spares), of course has to do with his on wheel skills. Suggesting it's easy for anybody is kinda silly.

I seriously doubt party_wagon is the next Ryan Cavaleri or Steve Weiss. And for every one that succeeds in the transition there's another that gives it a go, and goes back with his tail between his legs uttering "#%$&!#@* onroad @%&^$!&#, where's my dirt car?"

THAT is all.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Quote:
LOL, no offense, but knowing "how to use a radio" is comparatively like saying because you passed drivers ed you're ready for Indy. You're driving is going to leave you feeling like a fat man in the 100m dash at the Olymics. Sorry, but since you've only had expereince with much slower, limited traction 2wd dirt cars you're going to find yourself way out of your element IMO. Comparing the two different platforms, and what it takes to field one versus the other and remain competitive is going to boggle you.
Quote:
All I ever was trying to point out that doing it on a budget, as he proposed, was a bad idea. As far as picking it up, especially quickly (or before he runs out of spares), of course has to do with his on wheel skills. Suggesting it's easy for anybody is kinda silly.

I seriously doubt party_wagon is the next Ryan Cavaleri or Steve Weiss. And for every one that succeeds in the transition there's another that gives it a go, and goes back with his tail between his legs uttering "#%$&!#@* onroad @%&^$!&#, where's my dirt car?"

THAT is all.
What I highlighted in your earlier posts indicates more than just pointing out it is hard when on a budget. Seems more like crash and burn. Actually it is borderline offensive. Anyway since Steve and Ryan are top drivers, there is a local kid named AJ Freeman who also done quite well in onroad. Last I heard he was getting sponcered by Team Losi. Good driver, bad driver, or who ever the driver is, we shouldn't flame other guys that want to give onroad a try.

BTW, some guys do come off the driver's stand cursing the day the decided to give it a try.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #29
Suspended

Quote:
What I highlighted in your earlier posts indicates more than just pointing out it is hard when on a budget. Seems more like crash and burn. Actually it is borderline offensive. Anyway since Steve and Ryan are top drivers, there is a local kid named AJ Freeman who also done quite well in onroad. Last I heard he was getting sponcered by Team Losi. Good driver, bad driver, or who ever the driver is, we shouldn't flame other guys that want to give onroad a try.

BTW, some guys do come off the driver's stand cursing the day the decided to give it a try.
All I was trying to do was point out that it's not as easy as just buying a used budget-model car and picking up a radio, which is the big mistake a lot of people make. Otherwise, while I might have been a little over the top in my comparisons they were in no way intended to be offensive ~ just trying to open his eyes to the realities of onroad (a class in which the budget, even when on a budget, is typically much higher than 2wd offroad which is likely the cheapest class to run in RC). I still feel that "TC + mod + budget runner + lack of onroad experience = lots of broken parts."

Finally, I have my way of thinking about it and you have your way ~ no problem, and no worries.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Some people dont like being told what to do. Let him jump into mod and wreck his car on his first outing. It's his money. then he'll come back asking what's a good stock touring setup.
slomo is offline   Reply With Quote