R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   need advice TA05-R or TRF415? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/232301-need-advice-ta05-r-trf415.html)

one*eighteen 07-15-2008 09:38 PM

need advice TA05-R or TRF415?

Greetings all! I am looking into getting back into the 10th scale on-road world again, and I have narrowed down my choices down to the TA05-R and the TRF415. I was looking into getting some insight from the all the tamiya gurus out there. which is the better car? are they even comparable? Thanks guys!:)

abbadu 07-16-2008 05:35 AM

Okay the TA05r and the 415 are two completely different beast. I have both (well the wife has the Ta05R,

if your new or getting back in. the TAo5R is a great and easy car to drive. addapts great. great flex and just goes were it is pointed. doesn't tweak easily. great car for stock, 19 turn might be a bit much.

the 415 msx which i have is a great car too. a bit more fragile. but quicker. and better to lay down the power. can tweak easily.

for the price the Ta05 R is a great car to the money if you can find one.
plus it uses the same suspension as the 415. just pick up a set of carbon fiber shock mounts and you will be find.

I hope this helps

AreCee 07-16-2008 06:34 AM

I have been using my TA05 on asphalt with both a 13.5 and 4.5 brushless motor. It handles both well for my skill level, not the fastest but not the slowest.

I think the 415 would be easier to set up for mod motors but the TA05 is fine with mild motors.

94eg! 07-16-2008 09:28 AM

Having owned, worked & raced wtih both cars, I can say that the TA05 tub chassis always comes slightly tweaked from the factory. This makes droop, ride-height and other settings more difficult to get even and repeatable. You can heat & bend the chassis to shape, but it will never be perfect. Plus the rounded edges of the tub make measuring ride height more difficult.

In addition, Aftermarket carbon chassis for the TA05 are really no better. Because their designers had to take measurements off a kit car, they are not quite perfect. The Penguin P2020 chassis I owned had several misaligned screw holes that caused an incurable "sway-back" in the lower chassis. The manufacturer confirmed this and said they would redesign, but ended up doing nothing because they couldn't figure out exactly where the problem was...

The 415 MSX MRE I own now is much easier to get repeatable results, and Marc's setup is very easy to drive right out of the box. If I was buying new, I would go for the 415 MSXX that's only $310 at TamiyaUSA.com right now. It's basically a MSX-MRE setup with a double one-way (for small tracks) and less of the super-lightweight super-fragile parts. Hopefully they are still in stock...

one*eighteen 07-16-2008 09:44 AM

thanks for the input guys!! as of now I plan on starting of at stock then eventually working my way up to the 19T..based on the info shared, I will shoot for the trf415. Now as for parts, are they both similar and interchangeable?