48 pitch vs. 64 pitch for 1/12???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

48 pitch vs. 64 pitch for 1/12???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Default 48 pitch vs. 64 pitch for 1/12???

.......do all of you guys run 64 pitch in your 1 /12 cars? I have a bunch of 48 pitch pinions left over from my old 1/10 buggies/trucks and would like to use them in my 1/12 this winter if possible...........I know 64 will give you more gearing options as opposed to 48...........would i notice much difference between the two?...........need to cut costs where i can..........1/8 on-road is killing me........$$$$$$
Old 07-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

well i am new to 12th my self so i cant give you any definite answers, but i can tell you some things to watch for. 48p is more durable if you run on asphalt and have to watch for pebbles and sand but i think there might be a smoothness issue. 64-pitch might roll better and be more efficient. then again you might not have to worry about that depending on the level of racing you are doing. at local club racing the most important part to tune on the car is the body, as in not tuning it with the lane dividers

other than that make sure to know how to properly gear through calculating rollout and compensate for shrinking in tire diameter as you foams wear. direct-drive vehicles like 1/12th make changes in gear ratio that much more critical since you dont have a transmission that helps reduce how much of a change in gear ratio a single tooth does.

hope i helped
Old 07-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Honestly, if you're so worried about the price of gears that you'd consider using some old used off-road pinions then I'd suggest that 1/12th is out of your price range.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

12th scale is one of the cheapest forms of RC there is. Keeping the car off the boards is very important, but that is important with any type of racing.

If you are going to race to win the a main every week, the 48 pitch gears might not cut it. If you are going to race 12th because it is fun and challenging, I say go for it. They will be a little more noisy which means a little less efficient, but I don't think that it will be the killer.

If you are racing 8th on-road, 12th will be the easiest thing on your budget since you started in RC.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Just get started with what you have. When you start to get better and having more fun, step up to 64p. Run it a while and you'll get e feel for what kind of rollouts your running, that way you don't need to buy the complete 30t-60t set of pinions. If your running 17.5/13.5 brushless, you'll only need the really big ones.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
Honestly, if you're so worried about the price of gears that you'd consider using some old used off-road pinions then I'd suggest that 1/12th is out of your price range.
..........there's always a wise ass in every thread....guess your it.......and NO 1/12 is not out of my price range..........i already race 1/8 on-road. bet you don't race 1/8 because your scared of the speed.......guess i can ASSume about you also..........
Old 07-13-2008, 05:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
..........there's always a wise ass in every thread....guess your it.......and NO 1/12 is not out of my price range..........i already race 1/8 on-road. bet you don't race 1/8 because your scared of the speed.......guess i can ASSume about you also..........
I wouldn't feel too special about his response as it seems to be his standard mode of communication in any thread he chimes in on. Never seems to have any info to go with the dig though.

Run what you have and can handle for now. You can always pick them up down the line.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kuzo
I wouldn't feel too special about his response as it seems to be his standard mode of communication in any thread he chimes in on. Never seems to have any info to go with the dig though.

Run what you have and can handle for now. You can always pick them up down the line.
.....i've noticed that about him............the typical newbie who has owned one car and is all of a sudden an expert on everything..........how do i block him with the ignore list..........
Old 07-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

.....i've noticed that about him............the typical newbie who has owned one car and is all of a sudden an expert on everything..........how do i block him with the ignore list..........
Hes not a newb, he just changes his name anytime he gets caught being an a$$ instead of being a man about it and taking responsibility for his actions. His latest is theDr. Hes been RocketRob in the past and oldschoolracer among others.

I had to deal with him on another site as a moderator. Not fun with having to keep banning user names when he uses a proxy.

(Watch him get defensive and deny all this. Or "go away" and come back with yet another name).

On topic, 48 pitch will work, but just don't invest too much into new spurs.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I am getting into 1/12 as well, and would like to do the same thing as Taylorm.

I now know that 48 isnt as efficient or tunable as 64, but for just getting started, i dont really care.

I will have an associated 12l4, and am wondering what type/brand of spur i could use. I noticed that the spur gear is also the diff gear, so the spur i get would have to do that too.

Any help would be nice! Thanks!
Old 07-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Suspended

Sorry if you can't handle an honest answer. But you asked for it.... but there's a cry baby in every thread.... guess you're it...
I only stated my feelings on the topic, and if you can't handle it, I'm sorry that you can't handle the truth.... if you want to go cheap in your 1/12th scale cars then that's your business, but I would have ASSumed you would have known the answer to the question when you asked it since you were supposedly an expereinced 1/8th scaler. Then again I can ASSume you've yet to run a 1/12th or you wouldn't be referencing the speed of 1/8ths.

Last edited by rocket-mtrsprts; 07-13-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bigshades
I am getting into 1/12 as well, and would like to do the same thing as Taylorm.

I now know that 48 isnt as efficient or tunable as 64, but for just getting started, i dont really care.

I will have an associated 12l4, and am wondering what type/brand of spur i could use. I noticed that the spur gear is also the diff gear, so the spur i get would have to do that too.

Any help would be nice! Thanks!
Way back in the day people used 32p gears before 64p gears came along, so going 48p is a viable option for anyone new into the hobby or the scale of on-road car. They're just not the best option, as the diameter of the 48p spurs are so varied and only a couple will fit a 1/12th without dragging the ground. Any experiencedd on-roader would or should know that, and know the difference, but if you're just starting out you should be okay.
Kimbrough spur gears are probably your best option.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by oXYnary
Hes not a newb, he just changes his name anytime he gets caught being an a$$ instead of being a man about it and taking responsibility for his actions. His latest is theDr. Hes been RocketRob in the past and oldschoolracer among others.

I had to deal with him on another site as a moderator. Not fun with having to keep banning user names when he uses a proxy.

(Watch him get defensive and deny all this. Or "go away" and come back with yet another name).
I don't know you, but I seem to remember trying to help you on one of your questions. Maybe I'm wrong. I will make sure and put you on Ignore though.
But then reading back through some of the threads you been involved in you seem to have a reputation for having a rather obnoxious behavior yourself.
So are you here to help, make trouble, or are you here because you've run out people to argue with on other topics that get tired of your bullying and do it my way remarks? Or is that you can't get anyone to reply where you're a moderator either because you're run everyone off?
Old 07-13-2008, 10:16 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

honestly i havent seen any1 not use 64 on 1/12s in ages, and only options around here are asphalt. still no bother. good luck

R
Old 07-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Talking

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
Sorry if you can't handle an honest answer. But you asked for it.... but there's a cry baby in every thread.... guess you're it...
I only stated my feelings on the topic, and if you can't handle it, I'm sorry that you can't handle the truth.... if you want to go cheap in your 1/12th scale cars then that's your business, but I would have ASSumed you would have known the answer to the question when you asked it since you were supposedly an expereinced 1/8th scaler. Then again I can ASSume you've yet to run a 1/12th or you wouldn't be referencing the speed of 1/8ths.
........cry baby???..............first you insult someone for no reason, then call them a crybaby???.............there was no honest answer given...........you just called me cheap..........guess you spend SO MUCH money on your cars that you will be winning the A-main at Cleveland this year.....typical newbie that thinks he can spend his way to victory.......Post your real name so we can see it on the charts when Cleveland is ran..........Would it happen to be Douche Bag????.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.