R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #16
Tech Addict
 
Bigshades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 582
Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
........cry baby???..............first you insult someone for no reason, then call them a crybaby???.............there was no honest answer given...........you just called me cheap..........guess you spend SO MUCH money on your cars that you will be winning the A-main at Cleveland this year.....typical newbie that thinks he can spend his way to victory.......Post your real name so we can see it on the charts when Cleveland is ran..........Would it happen to be Douche Bag????.......
......................................__.......... ......................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,................................... .......
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll..................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll............................. ...
..............lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-..*`*;..)..........................
.................,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/...................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*....................
................|.../.../.../.*`..............................)....)¯`~,....... ...........
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---........../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../....................
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|......................
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,...................
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..................
Bigshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #17
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 592
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
........cry baby???..............first you insult someone for no reason, then call them a crybaby???.............there was no honest answer given...........you just called me cheap..........guess you spend SO MUCH money on your cars that you will be winning the A-main at Cleveland this year.....typical newbie that thinks he can spend his way to victory.......Post your real name so we can see it on the charts when Cleveland is ran..........Would it happen to be Douche Bag????.......
... first, you were the one that started with the insults. check back and you'll see that you called me a "wise-ass," and then called me an "ASS" - and now you're calling me a "Douche Bag".... the only thing I was guilty of was suggesting that maybe if you couldn't afford the pinions (which are CHEAP) maybe you were getting into something you couldn't afford. I thought I did it pretty nicely.... if you're going to get all butthurt and your feelings hurt so easily DBs might not be the place for you to hang out either....

what are you, 12-years-old or something?
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #18
Tech Addict
 
Bigshades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 582
Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)
Default

Incompetent fools can argue until the sun goes down, and their minds will not have changed. This is very similar to brick walls.

Its like a quote I read a while ago: Arguing online is like the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still special!
Bigshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #19
Tech Adept
 
bs6ef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: England
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
.......do all of you guys run 64 pitch in your 1 /12 cars? I have a bunch of 48 pitch pinions left over from my old 1/10 buggies/trucks and would like to use them in my 1/12 this winter if possible...........I know 64 will give you more gearing options as opposed to 48...........would i notice much difference between the two?...........need to cut costs where i can..........1/8 on-road is killing me........$$$$$$
hey Taylorm

I know a couple of very fast guys who still use 48 pitch and do very well with then. 12th scale is an acquired taste abit like wine, not all people who try it will like it, so my advise to you is try it with the gear that you have and if you like it then learn to drive the car as these cars can be abit of a handful. If i was you i would start with a 19t and learn how to set the car up to your driving style. Once your happy that you can drive consistently for 8mins then move onto something abit faster. At my club most of us run bl 5.5t or 4.5t motors on quite a small track.

good luck mate and i hope u enjoy it.

steve
__________________
You have to watch the TechnoViking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1nzEFMjkI4
bs6ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #20
Super Moderator
 
Grizzbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Springs, OK
Posts: 3,063
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs6ef View Post
hey Taylorm

I know a couple of very fast guys who still use 48 pitch and do very well with then. 12th scale is an acquired taste abit like wine, not all people who try it will like it, so my advise to you is try it with the gear that you have and if you like it then learn to drive the car as these cars can be abit of a handful. If i was you i would start with a 19t and learn how to set the car up to your driving style. Once your happy that you can drive consistently for 8mins then move onto something abit faster. At my club most of us run bl 5.5t or 4.5t motors on quite a small track.

good luck mate and i hope u enjoy it.

steve
Of course there's nothing really wrong with using 48 pitch gears, but I would be concerned about being able to get the final drive ratio you really need, especially with the way today's brushless mtoors want to be geared. I've already seen guys running spurs that are just BARELY bigger than the pinion they had on it(particularly with a 17.5 motor), & that was with 64 pitch, so I'm not sure how far you'd be able to go with 48. But aside from that & a bit more gear noise, I don't think you'd really notice much difference, & for someone just getting going on it, they will probably hold up better(but of course, I'd also suggest converting to 64 pitch as soon as you're comfortable doing so). Oh, & I also reccomend Kimborough spurs, I've used them for many years in both pan cars(1/10 & 1/12) & in touring cars, & I've always been VERY happy with them....
__________________
Bob Seay
Tamiya TRF417, TA05v.2, TRF211XM, M-05ver.2R, XRAY X12, Associated B5m Factory Lite

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #21
Tech Master
 
Taylorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monclova, Ohio
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
Of course there's nothing really wrong with using 48 pitch gears, but I would be concerned about being able to get the final drive ratio you really need, especially with the way today's brushless mtoors want to be geared. I've already seen guys running spurs that are just BARELY bigger than the pinion they had on it(particularly with a 17.5 motor), & that was with 64 pitch, so I'm not sure how far you'd be able to go with 48. But aside from that & a bit more gear noise, I don't think you'd really notice much difference, & for someone just getting going on it, they will probably hold up better(but of course, I'd also suggest converting to 64 pitch as soon as you're comfortable doing so). Oh, & I also reccomend Kimborough spurs, I've used them for many years in both pan cars(1/10 & 1/12) & in touring cars, & I've always been VERY happy with them....
..........thanks.........guess i didn't realize that such large pinions were needed for brushless motors.............i haven't ran electric for years and don't even own any brushless motors yet.............any recommendations for pinion gears???..............Robinson?................tha nks..........
__________________
Current stable... Team Associated SC8, Team Associated RC250 X 3
Tamiya F104X1...Tamiya F104W GP Edition...BMT/RC300 Frankenstein.....Edam Razor2
Checkers or Wreckers......................................................................................
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #22
Tech Master
 
Taylorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monclova, Ohio
Posts: 1,647
Default

......Rocket...........welcome to my ignore list............
__________________
Current stable... Team Associated SC8, Team Associated RC250 X 3
Tamiya F104X1...Tamiya F104W GP Edition...BMT/RC300 Frankenstein.....Edam Razor2
Checkers or Wreckers......................................................................................
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #23
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 275
Default

i looked at the specs for the novak 17.5 motor and at 4cells you will be doing about 10,000 rpm maximum. to get a decent 22-25mph out of your 1/12 you need an axle rpm of about 4500rpm. that means your pinion gear is going to be almost half the tooth count of your spur. if you go brushed 27t or 19t or anything faster thats brushless then it wont be that bad.

another thing that will help, is runniung thicker foams. i think Jaco's and some of parma are now the newer low-profile foams that also are somewhat smaller in total diameter. i want to say there was a recent rules change that caused this but i dont race much or check roar rules much so someone please back me up or correct me on this.
benben10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #24
Super Moderator
 
Grizzbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Springs, OK
Posts: 3,063
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benben10 View Post
i looked at the specs for the novak 17.5 motor and at 4cells you will be doing about 10,000 rpm maximum. to get a decent 22-25mph out of your 1/12 you need an axle rpm of about 4500rpm. that means your pinion gear is going to be almost half the tooth count of your spur. if you go brushed 27t or 19t or anything faster thats brushless then it wont be that bad.

another thing that will help, is runniung thicker foams. i think Jaco's and some of parma are now the newer low-profile foams that also are somewhat smaller in total diameter. i want to say there was a recent rules change that caused this but i dont race much or check roar rules much so someone please back me up or correct me on this.
I don't think it was so much a rule change as an attempt by the manufacturer to give racers what they were asking for. Most hardcore 1/12 scale guys will true even brand new tires down a LOT, to get the rolling resistance to an absolute minimum, & that also has to do with why they need to gear so tall, to keep a good rollout despite the low-diameter tires. Add in brushless motors that need to be geared really tall as well & it means you see guys with the smallest spurs they can find & using about the biggest pinions they can find. But as for exact rollouts, to get that I think you'd be best off asking the local fast guys where you'll race, they'll know better than ANYONE here....
__________________
Bob Seay
Tamiya TRF417, TA05v.2, TRF211XM, M-05ver.2R, XRAY X12, Associated B5m Factory Lite

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #25
Tech Master
 
wingman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tewkesbury, UK via Plymouth, UK.
Posts: 1,259
Default

Mate, it will work no problem at all. You may have less gearing options but it will work. At the end of the day, if you are new to the class and giving it a go, don't worry about any 'magic' gearing you MUST have it at, get your cells charged up and give it a go! In fact, I know quite a few Corally SP12X drivers that use 48dp because it is more durable than 64dp with the 12X rear axle 'wobble'! All the best mate, Chris.
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
48 Pitch, 64 Pitch Alfalfameister Rookie Zone 11 01-29-2008 05:07 AM
Converting TC5 from 48 Pitch to 64 Pitch??? jdob Rookie Zone 3 06-23-2007 11:10 AM
64 or 48 pitch minnesh Electric On-Road 23 05-07-2007 10:34 AM
48 pitch pinions cheap/or trade for 64 pitch pinions Got Xray? Australia For Sale/Trade 2 05-26-2006 11:04 PM
Pitch LancerEVO Electric On-Road 3 03-25-2004 04:30 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:40 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net