R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default thinking about getting into electrics.

ok where im moving to they dont have an off road nitro track. they do have a bunch of indoor on road tracks. im thinking of getting into it. but what should i get?

im trying to find something thats cost effective... meaning if i hit a wall...it wont cost too much to repair. also ill probably start out with a brushed motor and move onto brushless and lipos. if i do.. which would be the best car to start out with that i can hang onto for a while? and what has the best support/parts availability? i only know nitro 1/8 scale buggies. i have a hyper7 right now. i dont want to give it up but it looks as though i might have to. i have a radio to use. ive got a DX3 so i guess ill be ok with that? ive never owned anything electric past an Xmod car. i still got it! lol i might bust it out and mess with it. but it doesnt compare to the buggy by no means. i know of most the manufactuers of cars. tamiya and hpi and accosiated. and what not. just dont know where or what to get. im not in any hurry.. im just curious
buds302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buds302 View Post
ok where im moving to they dont have an off road nitro track. they do have a bunch of indoor on road tracks. im thinking of getting into it. but what should i get?

im trying to find something thats cost effective... meaning if i hit a wall...it wont cost too much to repair. also ill probably start out with a brushed motor and move onto brushless and lipos. if i do.. which would be the best car to start out with that i can hang onto for a while? and what has the best support/parts availability? i only know nitro 1/8 scale buggies. i have a hyper7 right now. i dont want to give it up but it looks as though i might have to. i have a radio to use. ive got a DX3 so i guess ill be ok with that? ive never owned anything electric past an Xmod car. i still got it! lol i might bust it out and mess with it. but it doesnt compare to the buggy by no means. i know of most the manufactuers of cars. tamiya and hpi and accosiated. and what not. just dont know where or what to get. im not in any hurry.. im just curious
First I would suggest checking to see what classes they run and go from there. It doesn't matter how fun or cost effective the class is if nobody runs it.

In my experience a rubber tire sedan class is the the most cost effective fun indoor onroad class. Tires wear well & maintenance is reasonably low.

If the tracks only run foam classes I would say go 12th scale. 12th scale cars are simple, cheap, fast and very durable. Considering tire cost is by far the most expensive part of foam racing the money you save on longer lasting foams will more than offset any saving LiPo my offer in a foam sedan.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:

if you hit the wall pretty hard youll break most likely. tc's are a ton more fragile than off road trucks and buggies. i see most new people at my track using the ae tc4's and tamiya ta05's which are pretty solid. if you want bl and lipo, i'd look into the tc5r which is the rubber version of the tc5f. the tc5r's parts should be availiable for quite a while still. also a used tamiya trf415 something would be an ok choice.
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
ok where im moving to they dont have an off road nitro track. they do have a bunch of indoor on road tracks.
Where specifically are you moving to?
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Tech Adept

new castle pa

how would i be able to tell off hand what im looking at scale wise on a car? my 1/8 buggy looks to be the same dimensions as some of the cars i see.

theres a track at my local hobbytown thats an indoor asphalt track. they run touring cars there i believe. i watched one race and they are pretty fast.

http://www.htufrederickmd.com/RCraces.htm

theres where im talking about. and ill have some more questions later once i know whats going on... im going to read the shit out of this section for a while to get a better idea in things like motor selection and what not. i know the difference between brushed and brushless but im not sure on what "turn" means. like a 19t or a 12t or things like that.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go to a couple races and see what is a good entry level class. See what the most popular cars are and see what the track stocks for parts. You might be able to get a good used car from somebody to get started with. If you are new to electric get a decent charger and power supply and learn how to charge your batteries. This is really important or you will fry your packs. Learn the basics and have fun.
mike fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

oh jesus man, you 'happen' to be talking about one of the best places to race in the whole u.s.

talk to the owner and talk to some of the faster guys for opinions. If they offer any intro classes try them out first. Then again, if you run 1/8th, foam sedan 'might' be a good place. the posts above are righ though, go there and hang out on a couple race nights before dropping any coin. Make sure that when you do drop coin its on the right gear because being able to race there should hook you for the long run.

you should be looking at brushless systems. The lower the number of turns, the faster the motor. So a 3.5 brushless should be enough to take out your car, the wall, your wallet and desire to race. If they offer the class, start with 17.5, go to 13.5 and then 10.5. Start with 17.5 if you can. 1/12th can be a finicky class, but much more simple while sedans (1/10th scale and close to the size of your buggy) can be a little tougher but more complex with more wear items.

Good luck & have fun!

Last edited by The Bear; 07-10-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: better
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
Tech Adept

ive got an MRC super brain 960 charger now. it wont charge lipos. but ill have no problem getting a decent charger. i was thinking of just picking up the 989 super brain... or maybe an ice charger. i dunno. ill figure something out on that part
Old 07-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
oh jesus man, you 'happen' to be talking about one of the best places to race in the whole u.s.

talk to the owner and talk to some of the faster guys for opinions. If they offer any intro classes try them out first. Then again, if you run 1/8th, foam sedan 'might' be a good place. the posts above are righ though, go there and hang out on a couple race nights before dropping any coin. Make sure that when you do drop coin its on the right gear because being able to race there should hook you for the long run.

Good luck!
if your talking about hobby town in frederick... im moving 5 hours from there.. right now i like 45 min from them. but if your talking about new castle pa... then i know ill be set then ...lol
Old 07-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #10

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

enjoy electric, you spend more time enjoyin it than nitro

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
enjoy electric, you spend more time enjoyin it than nitro

R
Maybe....when i go to practice days with my 8th scale nitro, I run for about an hour before I come off the stand. Electric just saves me time as I do not have as much to tear down, clean and rebuild once I get back home. Right now I prefer electric, but for the past 4 years I have preferred nitro.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
Tech Adept

bump????

anyone else?
Old 07-13-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

with the advent of lipo and brushless electric is the way to go...nothing to wear out on the car except the occasional diff rebuild and bearing changes. Electric also weighs alot less so its pretty easy on breaking things.

Like was stated check first to see what is being run where you are going but generally anybody running indoor will run some sort of touring car

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
shadow102 is offline   Reply With Quote