R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-17-2003, 11:11 AM   #106
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

They are fixed but I had heard that you could cut the tab off on the endbell and it is now adjustable. I have not tried it myself though.

Kraig
KT Hobbies

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 12:26 PM   #107
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

yes katfish i was talking about boylen
and i belive he ran a c2 at the race but yes the magnete do fade and require alot of work ! i hope they pass the rule to let us use adjustables next season.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:46 PM   #108
Tech Master

hector he ran a arcornite..or at least he did most of the night..he hasn't taken that thing out of his car since he first got it! lol

one of our boys ran the new reedy 19t in oval on a large track sunday..he said he tried all kinds of stuff..it came back with a black comm and ran like a pig on the track..

why make a 19 t that is not adjustable? if your going to buy just 1 19 turn do yourself a favor..buy a D5 19turn with the stand up brushes..use a putnam X brush and it will fly...kisbey,KC racing , fantom and putnam all make a great D5 hand wound 19 turn motor..roar and arcor legal..roar only in oval though..

hector i realy thing the series should at the very least have a pro 19 turn class next year that allows hand wound 19 motors..adjust the timing to 30 degrees keep the same gear you use now and let er fly.. the best mod brushes and 19 t brushes right now are the putnam X brush..they produce the mad power numbers for us in oval anyways..

the C2 has run it's course...a good idea that has now been improved upon..time to make it a hand out motor only...
UCHEATULOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 03:58 PM   #109
Tech Elite

katfish we are talking about it and are voting on it next race we know the motor is better
someone mentioned to me for the main he ran a c2 for fun "someone mentioned"
pluss we were told after the snow birds
there will be no more c2's brought into the country . how tru this is i dont know but we will be running the adjustables next year more than likely because i'll vote for them!
Old 09-17-2003, 07:17 PM   #110
Tech Master

yeah we all keep hearing the "rumor" about C2's going to the way side..but..mike boylan did e mail ernie about this very rumor..he replied back with as of right now there are no plans to discontinue the C2 motor. so who do we believe?

when the demand goes away for them sinkers trinity will discontinue them.. all about the benjamins... know this about the hand wounds though..they need TLC after every 4 minute run..dont leave that thing bolted into your car race after race..it will just get slower and slower..4 minutes take out and skim comm..8 minutes take out cut comm throw away brushes install new ones..it takes 2 pairs of brushes for 3 qualifiers and a main..

i hope you do vote it in.. we will see though...gonna be a close vote.
UCHEATULOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 10:08 AM   #111
Tech Elite

i notsaying all the names here kat but its someone close to trinity
we worked all the problems out of the 19t but remember onroad doesnt tear up the motors as bad as oval.
i really dont know who to believe i quess seeing is believing!
Old 09-21-2003, 06:48 AM   #112
Tech Apprentice

Post Gearing for XXX-S

Guys,

I drive a Losi XXX-S and I need your advise in gearing for 19 turn. I use a Banzai 19x1 motor. I have a 128/64 pitch spur and run with 3300 batteries. Whats the best pinion(tooth) to use?

rodneyyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 08:30 AM   #113
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Use this formula:
(Spur/Pinion)*1.83.
This gives you your final ratio. Depending on the track layout, I like to run in the high 6 to low seven range. 19t motors usually seem to handle a wide range of gearing options but right around there should be a good starting point.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:07 PM   #114
Tech Regular

Default gearing

is that

(spur/ pinion) *redution ratio ?

if so my tc3 would be

(72/29) *2.5= 6.2
i ran that last week, with the diameter of tehe tire factored in thats a 31mm rollout. this was with the reedy quad mag 19. i think the motor is gonna need more rollout, like 34 and i'm changing my spur for carpet season, my plan will be

(69/30) *2.5= 5.75
when this hits the track on worn (62mm) rubber tires it will give my 34mm of rollout

these final drive ratios are way off everyones suggestions
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 07:39 PM   #115
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yes it is the reduction ratio. I don't run foams so I don't know what roll out to run. We only run on rubbers down here. Gearing has been an issue for us too. Some guys are gearing in the low to mid 7's some are in the low 6's. A friend of mine that won the NORRCA Nats a few months back in 19turn was gearing @ 5.5 running a C2!
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 04:42 PM   #116
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Foams or rubber rollout:

(tire size millimeters * 3.14)/(Spur/Pinion*1.83) or whatever your car's internal gear ratio is. For a straight that's about 100 to 120 feet we rollout between 27 and 30mm. This still depends on how tight the track is. Tight track lower rollout. More flowing or straights higher rollout.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:12 PM   #117
Tech Elite

the guys that have playng with the adjustables on the onroad what timing an spring combos have you been ruuning
Old 09-24-2003, 02:23 PM   #118
Tech Elite

Its almost too bad all you guys are so into this "roll out" and calculating the gear ratios. I never do this. I always have an idea of where to start, and I look for things like: Is the motor really hot, how does it sound on the straight, does it have punch, am I going faster than other people...

All this precise calculations may be hurting your performance, because you think the motor should be geared right in a particular range, and as we know all motors are different, so two diff motors (same brand, brushes, etc) can need different gearing.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:26 PM   #119
Tech Elite

pit crew you are correct i know factory guys that race in the a main at national and dont even care about roll out they gear the car from past experiances fro the size and type of track and compensate for wear when running foams these guys waste to much energy on that stuff instead of appliying it to thier driving where it belongs!
Old 09-24-2003, 06:51 PM   #120
Tech Regular

Default rollout

you guys keep on guessing at ratios & i keep my presice measurements. you're right ever motor will be different, and many poeple will alter gearing for track layout, fact is all motors perform best within a given RMP range and thats what we are trying to keep motors at by altering gearing. what roll-out gives is a definative way to compare your gearing against another cars. if say i'm running a 72spur/29pinion that don't tell you %$#@, or what if say i'm running a 7.0 final ratio.... still &%^#, all cause your running a differnt brand car with different reduction ratio, different gear pitch, differnt size spur, and different diameter tires (foams do wear)! so when i blow your body off down the straight and you come ask what i'm runnin, i'll say 34, you can go to your pit (take a calculator if you need it) and figure what spur/ pinion combo will put your car at a similiar rollout, a much better starting point that guessing
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote