R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2003, 06:06 PM   #46
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That's exactly what I'm going to do. Practice with the Reedys and throw the Fantoms in for races. Cuts down on motor wear.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:16 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by ChadK
Fasttrak- All the brushes that have been talked about hear are availible in bulk from Axiom. They have 767, 4499, 4504, & 4505's and sell in any quantity you want at good prices, check out the link below.

Chad
Thanks Chadk, you just saved me a bunch of money and that is without the bulk discount! Can hardly wait to hear back the price for the 4504's. Might have to throw some of those 766's in for the 19 turn. Looks like the Epic can is a good place to sart with a solid 19 turn, funny the price is not much more then a Monster stock motor...
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:43 PM   #48

i know you guys are running on road, but for the off road crowd... i normally run stock truck with a xxx-t with a core stock motor, geared 88/17. i put in a orion element 19t and left the gearing the same. using the aggressive at30 brush (20% silver) and purple springs i was able to keep up with a 11 triple on the straights and was able to out corner him because of the "drag brake" action of a stock motor. making the triples wasn't a problem either, normally only the mods can make, stocks have to double single them. i also wouldn't discount using the silver can bushing reedy. they can be made very fast also. and they don't run as hot when over geared.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:37 PM   #49

The picture tells all:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spec-19t-motor.jpg (31.7 KB, 491 views)
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:45 PM   #50
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Tenths
The picture tells all:
I know, that picture's been out for a long time. Tony Phalen has it on his website. Tower has part numbers and pricing. I've heard of factory guys running them, etc etc... But I guess Associated continues to insist that they are all rumors and that they don't have one in the works. Whatever! You know they just can't get them right or something and as soon as they do it'll be all over the place.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:34 PM   #51
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ritchie
i know you guys are running on road, but for the off road crowd... i normally run stock truck with a xxx-t with a core stock motor, geared 88/17. i put in a orion element 19t and left the gearing the same. using the aggressive at30 brush (20% silver) and purple springs i was able to keep up with a 11 triple on the straights and was able to out corner him because of the "drag brake" action of a stock motor. making the triples wasn't a problem either, normally only the mods can make, stocks have to double single them. i also wouldn't discount using the silver can bushing reedy. they can be made very fast also. and they don't run as hot when over geared.
I personally think all the 19T motors are good, solid contenders. I think it just depends on what you do to them and how you drive.

-Sushi Boy
Old 09-02-2003, 10:49 AM   #52

What I'm wondering is if the Reedy Quad 19 is just a "rumor", why is there a decal for it (like in the picture). Of course the motor in the picture may not be a 19, but the decal is..........
Old 09-02-2003, 11:00 AM   #53
Tech Champion

I know. Just like anything, they'll deny it until they're blue in the face and then come out with it a few months later. Not too sure I'm too up on it though. The local 19 turn races I go to don't want you using the ROAR motors. They want everyone to continue using the fixed timing motors.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:14 PM   #54
Tech Champion

That seems to be the thing oevr here too. They are already fast, I dont really see the need to go faster unless you run full out mod most of the time.

-Sushi Boy
Old 09-02-2003, 05:45 PM   #55
Tech Regular

I know that is not what I would like to see our local track do, use locked timing and bushed motors for 19 turn. Outside of a speed improvement I see no way this saves any money in the end as the 19 is supposed to be about. I would love to run mod but the sure cost of maintenance and having a competetive number of motors makes it horribly prohibitive for me. Enough speed? Never.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:15 PM   #56

I think I have to disagree with you guys. I think the ROAR motors will be a big improvement for a few reasons. Firstly, adjusting timing is important for different conditions, and, if you see 19T as a jumping point to Mod, then it is an important skill to have. Secondly, I'm tired of running machine wound motors because they vary in quality, and whenever you buy one you're taking a gamble as to whether it will be good or not. Having hand wound armatures (hopefully) will also make the speed difference from stock to 19 greater. Thirdly, the 19T factory guys are running hand-wound motors and I think that producing them for the public will even the field a bit (not much ) Finally, with winter season and foam tires coming, the ROAR motors will be faster and still controllable (speed wise) ZOOM-ZOOM-ZOOM! ----
Old 09-02-2003, 09:02 PM   #57
Tech Champion

I like the idea of them being hand wound so they are all consistant, but I feel that the fixed timing would be better to even out the feild. I know how to use timing already because I run open mod alot in outdoor racing, but if we run 19T with adjustable timing and hand wound arms, then we might as well just run mod. On such small tracks like our local carpet track, you dont need this massive power 8x2 motor, it's just too much. And when people start jacking the timing up on the motors they will be too fast, brushes will wear out faster, and many other things can happen. just my thoughts though.

-Sushi Boy
Old 09-02-2003, 09:46 PM   #58
Tech Champion

I dont mind the adjustable timing. I'd like to have it. I also run open Mod. In fact I like running open mod more. It's just hard to run it on the smaller parking lots we run on in San Diego. A lot of times there will only be two or three of us that want to run it. But go up to some of the bigger tracks up north and you can run whatever you want because the layouts are twice the size. Or go to SoCal. That's a tiny little track but tell Kinwald you can't run a 7 turn there! The only reason I said I'm not too excited about the ROAR motors is they don't want us running them at the local races here. If they were allowed, I'd be all for it. Though it does go against the idea of a "spec mod" class and they are mre expensive. But what can I say, I like going faster than the other guy
Old 09-03-2003, 03:03 PM   #59
Tech Regular

YEAH!!

And cant believe they allow "Rebuildable" stock motors too. And that they layed the brushes down for more power. Or that they allow the laminations to be altered ( by the manufacturer). I mean COME ON!!! I'd like to be running my 1700's with a Midnight, or better yet, a Slotmachine!!

YEA RIGHT!!

Its these "Rule" changes that have driven the hobby to where it is today. 3300 batteries with the highest voltage I have ever seen, (and I am telling you that no 2000 or 2400 even comes close!!)

And the advances in the motors has been incredible. Quad mag motors! Sweet!!!
Pit Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:16 PM   #60
Tech Champion

I agree. I think stock motors need to go away. Or be left for Novice class racers.