R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #1096
Tech Elite

Pejota- Thats a nice one. I don't think I'd get rid of that one. If you don't have a class for it now, then Shelf Queen it! You might in the future and then regret selling it.
theDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #1097

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i hope somehow it can start up down here in MD, there was talk of doin it on sundays with the TA and WGT stuff, as opposed to saturday which is catered to Tourers and 1/12. who knows, its sittin here, hoping for some action.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #1098
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm thinking of picking up an F103RM and had a quick question before I pull the trigger. Will the new World GT type bodies (200mm pan car) fit an F103RM ? If so, are their modifications needed to do it ? I'm just looking for a few non F1 body options in between TCS races. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #1099
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mild seven

Im pretty sure they will fit. since the F103 is 200mm aswell. The only thing u will need is the front bumper. Tamiya used to make one and D Drive have the cross ones. also you might need some longer body posts for the rear.
here is a link to it: http://d-drivesportsenglish.com/inde...roducts_id=227

I just finished building my 2nd f103 kit today, it was strange the right rear wheel hub was a bit shorter than normal by about 10mm, so the wheel didnt fit on properley. Luckly i had another one from my older f1 kits.

I will post a pic of my 2 new f1's tomorrow.
mild seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:57 AM   #1100
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Will the EzRun brushless systems used by the mini guys be a good match for F103s?
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #1101
Tech Adept

The ezrun system would probably be a good match if they fit. Certain variations have the ribbed can, which may not clear the rear pod. I always wondered how close the 21.5/lipo combo compared to silver can/lipo combo.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #1102
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I know this isn't a F103 question, but I'm trying to get a concensus opinion of what clubs allow.

I have my eye on a Tamiya P34- always wanted one since I was a kid.

Would your clubs allow one to run with your F103's?
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:06 AM   #1103
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

We would...I wouldn't see why not.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #1104
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have always thought that the Tyrrell car was one of the most cool things in racing, that and the turbine indy cars. I wish that kind of "outside the box" thinking was allowed in racing today...too much of it is like spec racing and I hate spec racing.

Edit to add:
I hate spec real car racing, Spec Miata...doG how I hate spec miata, Nascar... I like spec RC racing, I like the Slash and like the mini. I think I would like a spec sedan class as well, there is just not one offered where I race.

Last edited by cherokee; 12-31-2008 at 11:05 AM.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #1105
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Edit to add:
I hate spec real car racing, Spec Miata...doG how I hate spec miata, Nascar... I like spec RC racing, I like the Slash and like the mini. I think I would like a spec sedan class as well, there is just not one offered where I race.
Spec racing takes hard work and attention to detail to begin to be successfull. Non-spec racing just takes cubic dollars to get something no-one else has or can get or has thought of. This is the same for full scale racing and RC racing.
414MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:15 PM   #1106
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414MPH View Post
Spec racing takes hard work and attention to detail to begin to be successfull. Non-spec racing just takes cubic dollars to get something no-one else has or can get or has thought of. This is the same for full scale racing and RC racing.
Not true, I can only speak from my own experence of SCCA spec racing but if you think that there are not $30,000 spec miata engines you are very wrong. All blocks don't come out the same, all pistons don't come out the same, cranks and so forth. In the SM world there is a thing called parts bin blueprinting. You have 200 pistons and go over each one and get them all right where you want them. Same with cranks, rods, and so on. All of these parts are direct from Mazda, but due to tolerances in manafacture they are all a little different, and that little different is where the "attention to detail" comes in. This is where the pro builders earn their money. Yes they are spec but don't think that it is cost effective racing.

There is spec classes and that is fine, from the lawn they offer a great show, people outside the SM community don't call them spce pinata for nothing, I have the same basic feelings for SRF, but in my experence those that drive SRF have a different....ahh...mind set, plus all the engines are built at one place and have a things inplace to make sure you are not doing things to them after they are shipped to you, I like that about SRF.*****EDIT TO ADD**** There is talk of having one shop do all the SM engines but that will not stop those with deep pockets from buying 10 engines to get one with 3hp more. Plus it kills the grass roots aspect of that class.

When I could race I enjoyed running the classes I ran and while there are rules for the classes they let you build and design your car to your taste, that was part of the fun of it....hopefully I will heal up to the point to get back to running real cars one day.

Spec class racing does offer a great show, but don't think for one minute that you can't dump as much if not more money into them. In many cases to get that extra thenth out of the car is much more expensive then it is in other classes.

Sorry for the ramble.

Last edited by cherokee; 12-31-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #1107
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

From my 19+ years experience with FV, FF, FC, F440, GT-1 and now Vintage Super Vee (79 March) is where i draw my statement above. This is also where I have observed it is the spec class that spends less money. The fences of a spec class help you focus on the things you can change and do them best.
414MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #1108
Tech Regular

You have been there too, I ran IT, FP and had a GTL car almost ready when I needed to see Dr. Detroit...you know the guy he makes adjustments to the human spine

From the classes you and I both ran none of them are Spec classes, but we have been around the people that run them. We both know that spec can mean different things, a SM engine build different then a SRF engine.

But to put this back into the RC world...

Most would agree that all silver can motors are not equal, there are a few that will just scream, some that will be dogs, and most fall somewhere in between. We all know that the big players have all kinds of test equipment for motors, strange things they do to them to give them that little extra punch. I highly doubt that these guys walk into the LHS and buy just one motor and call it a day. Is it spec...yep, but the guy going over 20 motors to find the sweet one is very different then the guy running what ever came in the kit. If both drive the same car one will be faster then the other, but the faster one will be faster yet with his hand picked motor.

All I am saying is spec is not cheap if you want to run at the front of the pack, if you want to run in the middle it is a pretty good way to get started.
You are right some like that challange of making of making a spec miata faster, others like making a prod car faster. Some like making the most out of a silver can others like a 8.5 brushless...different strokes, the only difference is when you blow a motor the cash outlay is very different.

Sorry I ramble again...I tend to do that on pain killers...

PS do you have any pics of your vintage vee... FV is a class I am thinking about as it is a little lighter work then a prod car.

Here is a pic of my ITA car

And here is the FP car..in IT trim

Last edited by cherokee; 12-31-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: to add pics
Old 12-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #1109
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

nice AW11...
Old 12-31-2008, 11:57 PM   #1110
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)