Old 10-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #376
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Big Daddy Cool

Thanks jrxs. How about wear?
Big Daddy Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #377
Tech Initiate

the alloy plated wheels i have don't house the thrust bearing of the f103rm, any ideas how i get round that?

what will happen if I just ditch the thrust bearing?
DucatiGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #378
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

DucatiGary - I think if you illiminate the thrust assembly in the rear wheel you'll loose your ability to adjust the diff. I'm not a 100% sure on that, but I think I'm pretty close. If it's a hanger queen with no intention of running then it would be fine. But if you plan of using the car you could have some problems. Just my two cents.

What alloy wheels did you get?
Vyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #379
Tech Initiate

I got these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260274481718 and the rears, also got rubber rears but need to find the matching front rubber.

i cannot afford shelves to keep my cars sitting around so they have to be run

I read the older models had the thrust bearing in a different place, im guessing this has something to do with the titanium 3 racing main shaft being 3mm out also . . . .
Old 10-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #380
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by border r/c View Post
her a shot of mine
diffuser on my car and mine new front end with adjustable camber much better then the stock Tamiya front end.
Cross part cfp55h
Harder and stiffner molded plastic
have been looking at getting one of the adjustable front ends but it looks like it will snap at the thought of hitting anything.

looks too weak on the pics (the front spoiler connection)

would like the camber adjust though, can you tell us if they snap all the time? doesn't look to tough to me
Old 10-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #381
Tech Addict

Hey Gary, I’ve never used that brand of wheels before. I guess you could say I’m a Tamiya BIOTCH. I try to stick to their parts, mainly because they fit better. Not to say I haven’t dabbled with other brands, I just always find myself going back to Tamiya. Plus I like to run in the TCS series so the car has to be 100% Tamiya, with the exception of screws and electronics. I heard they’re going to run F103’s again. YEAH!!!!!

As for the front end…I can’t comment. I’ve never tried it. If it’s made from the right material it should be ok. The lower arms look similar to the Tamiya two piece front end and that was a pretty stout part. I’ve seen them break but only after a really hard tank slapper. If you’re running foams the tire is going to cone period. But you should get a little more life out of the tire. I think… Now that I look at it again one thing I notice is this front end uses a trailing or off-set axel. I personally I never cared for this. It made the car feel a slower on turn end, sort of like there was an initial delay. I know others that liked it and used it, but they all ran on carpet.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #382
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cool View Post
Thanks jrxs. How about wear?
Wear isn't too bad, the rubbers got scrubbed in within the first 3-4 laps. After 4 races of 5mins, there is visible wear, but nothing to really stress about as long as you swap LH to RH after every race or two. I hope to get at least 25-35 races out of the rears, with probably a little more from the fronts.
Proudly Sponsored by Stanbridges Hobbies
Serpent S411
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #383
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrxs-r View Post
Wear isn't too bad, the rubbers got scrubbed in within the first 3-4 laps. After 4 races of 5mins, there is visible wear, but nothing to really stress about as long as you swap LH to RH after every race or two. I hope to get at least 25-35 races out of the rears, with probably a little more from the fronts.
Wow- I ran Tamiya HBR soft in the rear and I didn't notice any wear. Still, the track isn't all that abrasive so wear probably isn't going to be an issue when running foams.

The fronts cone in nicely though...

Daniel
gramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:59 AM   #384
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramm View Post
Wow- I ran Tamiya HBR soft in the rear and I didn't notice any wear. Still, the track isn't all that abrasive so wear probably isn't going to be an issue when running foams.

The fronts cone in nicely though...

Daniel
Daniel,

Yeah... Foams didn't really wear out at all! But the TRG foams I was using were pretty hard in comparision to the HBR Softs. Can't wait for the next meet... I'll try some front end changes to get a wee bit more mid corner and exit steering. Traction was pretty good running the 27 stocky, but I think a good 19T will make things a lot more interesting! Go the F1s!!
Proudly Sponsored by Stanbridges Hobbies
Serpent S411
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:28 AM   #385
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Sweet! Can't wait to get the F103R!!
... and when are you coming out to race?
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #386
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyger View Post
I like to run in the TCS series so the car has to be 100% Tamiya
yeah we dont have that here in UK so I just bought the bits I thought looked the best

(and i couldnt find any tamiya plated wheels availible)

ive realised I only need a couple of parts and I can build another up using the parts i hopped up from the original
Old 10-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #387
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
No pictures or listing of upgrade parts! We can only hope all the blue stuff is included. They're really keeping it under wraps until October 16 and 17, which is the huge all Japan toy and model show.
All the Blue stuff is included along with all the carbon. Pictures show the servo mount milled down to lose weight,along with alloy stand offs where the battery tray used to be. Also RC World said something about the suspesion arms being carbon reinforced like the D-Drive Items.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #388
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiGary View Post
I got these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260274481718 and the rears, also got rubber rears but need to find the matching front rubber.

i cannot afford shelves to keep my cars sitting around so they have to be run

I read the older models had the thrust bearing in a different place, im guessing this has something to do with the titanium 3 racing main shaft being 3mm out also . . . .
The 3racing Titanium axle is only for the F103gt as the diff hub is different. Also that axle bends very easy. Titanium inst a good material for axles. Tamiya was wise enough to drop thier optoin years ago. Try a fiberglass or carbon one made for the F103.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #389
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Finally! I'm painting. I wish I had some sticker Vs. painting options. I may have to result to either skipping an accent stripe or using model airplane piping as the fine lines are just too hard to control with any sort of masking and my limited tools. I'm speaking of the thin red line that goes from the steering wheel to the nose of the BWM-Sauber on either side of the body. I'm going to shoot the red up to the steering wheel with a backup of white tonight before I paint the side pods blue. Then the red doesn't appear to be purple under the light. At that point the full body mask comes out and I can fight with the thin red line once again. I hope to get to the white by Thursday. I have the sticker set from
D-Drive via Decal Island. I hope I can finally post pics of it soon.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #390
Tech Addict

Here are the pics of the new F103 15th Anniversary Edition car. It looks like it comes with lots blue goodies. I like the new aluminum bulk heads. It looks like they're threaded on both ends so you don't need the four 32mm screws to secure them to the upper deck and chassis. The same for the servo mounts. This is nice improvement Tamiya made. I also like the fact that it comes with hex head screws, button and countersunk. Now if Tamiya would just re-release the old F1 bodies from the 90's with the appropriate sticker sheets this would be GOLDEN!

Mark me down for getting at least one of these.